Triple-fi 10... You're KIDDING me, right..?!
Jan 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Yes, this also plays a role, but I think a bad seal/fit is what he's going through.

Unless we both have bad fits (which I doubt because I did everything from different tips and the flip-flop mod), I don't think that's the issue. The TF10 is suited ONLY for electronic music IMO due to the overall synthetic sound. Even the monoprice 8320 had better timbre, not to talk of the GR07.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #17 of 31
I  don't think it's a matter of fit. I can easily tell these perform great and at first I was wowed by the bass. It blasts away on good Metal albums like there is no tomorrow!

However, the TF10 just isn't complete. The mids are outperformed by bass and the highs fake a greater resolution. Switching from W4 to TF10, there is just no way you can appreciate the mids. They just sound muddy while the highs sound tinny - I didn't experience any sibilance, btw. 

All in all, the UE just are no earphone you want to pick up for a quick listen. Add horrible comfort to that and there is little room for me to enjoy them as a consumer. The BA fan might not notice that higher precision might actually harm the overall performance. In my case, good timbre is just much more appealing.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #18 of 31
On two of the points mentioned. It may not just be fit. I have had two pairs and one was very even in terms of bass/mid/treble balance and performance the other was not cohesive and had recessed mids no matter what tip I tried.

The UE phones always have varying degrees of that synthetic sound which I have found goes away when you change the cable. I've always called it the UE plastic hue as if there are little plastic bubbles wrapped around all the notes. Not the most transparent but you can do something about it.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Unless we both have bad fits (which I doubt because I did everything from different tips and the flip-flop mod), I don't think that's the issue. The TF10 is suited ONLY for electronic music IMO due to the overall synthetic sound. Even the monoprice 8320 had better timbre, not to talk of the GR07.

Well I was just basing it on the fact that he said all the treble was sibilant and that the bass wasn't up to snuff :p  Again, fit and preference are the two main reasons why someone will not like a headphone.  You can't fix preference, but you can try to fix fit. 

@Jant: The cable never even crossed my mind...  Good eye.  That definitely could be another factor there. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 31
I felt the same way about these. Treble was ridiculously sparkly. I tried them with Lune cable and they just sounded like mud.

Different ears hear different things.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 31

This iems need to be inserted like a custom iem with the twisting, watch this video teaching you how to insert it the right way at 1:40

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
Twisting the TF10 while inserting just doesn't seem like a good idea. They aren't circular. I tried it and it hurt.

Twist it like you are screwing the IEMs into your ear...  I know there is a slight angle to the TF10s, but the are that goes into your ear (the tip) is circular. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #27 of 31
I'll try that next time. But I think I get what you're saying -- twist as you insert the earphone.

I agree with others who say the TF10s sound slightly artificial, but five minutes or so of brain-in solves that for me.

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #28 of 31
Re' Bass of T-F10 vs. ACH-700, it's not that the T-F10s don't have bass response, it's just that the ACH-700s have far 'rounder' bass than the T-F10s, and more satisfying, to my ears (e.g. James Taylor's track 'Gaia' comes across with a slightly greater sense of 'scale' with the ACH-700s and much better timbre). Neither the T-F10 or the ACH-700 has perfect bass, however.

But regarding the treble, it's not so much that I'd use the word 'sibilant' (although I don't actually disagree with that term in relation to the T-F10s) - personally, it's more that the treble just sounds fake; conspicuously and incongruously superimposed upon the frequencies lower down the spectrum. It's not at all convincing and, personally, I feel it's downright outrageous that this IEM is marketed, with this synthetic-sounding treble, at anything over $80. I'm also intrigued that a quick check of UE's website (USA version) does NOT (at time of this writing) list the T-F10 as a current product, although it is listed on the Aus and UK regions of UE's website. You can draw your own conclusions about why that might be.

A particularly noticable example of the unrealistic and intrusive tweeter on the T-F10 is when listening to female vocals with lots of upper midband crossing-over into the treble domain. Perfect example of this is Alison Krauss. Properly portrayed, her voice is astonishingly pure, but played through the T-F10s, there is a treble 'rasping' to her vocals which is totally unwarranted and totally unacceptable. I was listening to this just a couple of hours ago, before I packaged the T-F10s for return to Amazon. I was shaking my head in disbelief - why is such blatant treble colouration even there, since this is from supposed experts in BA IEM design and production?

In truth, I'm past caring now. I'm glad I purchased via Amazon, since their cutomer service is top-notch.

All the best to those of you who enjoy the T-F10, but I'm scratching my head in bewilderment as to why you do..!
blink.gif

Peace.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #30 of 31
v-shape sound is like a woman , that is good on the outside hollow on the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back