Triple.fi 10 Pro's frequency response graph (from HeadRoom)?
Jan 26, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #16 of 30
I'm trying to choose between the Triple.fi 10 Pro and the SE530, and I'd like to compare the FR graph of both.

My two cents:

If you end up ever getting the TF-10 or TF-10 Pro, I would strongly recommend double flange silicone tips with them. Those tips greatly enhance the sound of the TFs in my experience, the bass will be punchier, deeper and more detailed. With the included single flange medium tips the TF sounded a bit too bright, I could not get them to seal with anything else. The included comply tips worked, but the high frequencies were muffled with those.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #18 of 30
I am a noob, but what do these really tell you and how do you read/compare them? Thanks.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #19 of 30
The x-axis depict low frequency (bass), mid range frequency (mids), and high frequency (highs/treble). The y-axis depict amplitude (volume level) in dB that can be converted to voltage. So for the same dB level, bass is louder while treble is softer on some IEMs for instance. Just download some sample frequency tones from burninwave.com to listen and you'll understand.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #20 of 30
Lunatique,

Just to echo what iponderous said in this thread, I'd say that the TF10s are, hands down, better sounding than the SE530s. I know that statement just sounded bordering on fanboism (I hope the OT/Moderators won't berate me for being such) but that's according to my ears.

I've been a stickler for free auditions of IEMs, and good thing some retailers here in Manila allow the full Shure lineup be auditioned by those wanting to try them. From memory, although the SE530s provided the best and most comfortable fit among other IEMs I've tried, the sound's too anemic--playing safe might be a better term for it. Yes, at least to my ears I can listen to it for at least an entire day, it didn't seem to push the boundaries at both ends of the frequency spectrum. It also gave an impression that everything's too forward, as if the sound's chasing your face. Although, again, others may like such presentation, I am not a fan of it.

Fortunately, fit has been a non-issue for me. The only problem that bugs me with my TF10 pair is that the cable has hardened. Too bad there's no replaceable cable locally available and I have to order overseas to get one.

At the end of the day, what will matter more will be how you want your music served in your ears. At this price and product point, preferences will matter more than the product specifications indicated in the packaging. You'll never go wrong with either IEM -- provided that the one you'll be getting exactly fits your preferences.

Good luck in your audio quest!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 30
Trade for W3? Careful...you could regret it.

SE530 bass has a little more slam than TF10 so I prefer it with rock music but SE530 is also a little more tunnel'ish in it's presentation where TF10 is more wide open sounding.

Jan 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah from the graph it pretty much confirms what people say about the SE530 and TF10. TF10 has a midbass hump, slightly recessed mids, and good amount of treble, while SE530 has good bass extension, good mids, and recessed treble.

If you look closely, the SE530 has equal treble to 15Khz, Not much if anything going on above that, especially in compressed formats. In use, the difference in highs is more character than bandwidth. I much prefer the 530 but to each his own.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

Yeah, it's complicated how we hear differently and have different ideals for what is "neutral/accurate." It seems when it comes to visual quality (for example, TV screens), people tend to agree a lot more.

Thats because TV's are actually measured and tested and compared and the results can be put in a book which one has the better image reproduction. But our ears are mechanical and easily vary from one to another.
I was also in the same situation when I was looking for the next best IEM for me, and it came down to the SE530 and the UE TF-10. I have owned the E5c before and know its sound well. I enjoy the precise highs of the TF-10 and the way the bass goes lower than the Shure's. I would say that its true that the TF-10's mids are not recessed, but its that the Highs and Bass stick out more, therefore not hearing them as much. When I listen I hear the mids they are perfectly clear, they just dont stick out if you are used to Shure mids.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #24 of 30
TF10's mids are only 'recessed' when you're comparing them to something like the extremely mid-centric SE530's. I've done several a/b comparisons of the TF's vs SE530's, and see no degration in mid-quality going from the SE530's to the TF10's; they're just forced into your ears much more than the UE's, which make the UE's more balanced. I think many people assume the Shure's have superior mids simply because they're the only characteristic that jumps out to the listener. Not "better" mids, just louder mids (imho). A to B, the triple.fi's win (for me) every time. The treble is simply excellent, and they sparkle in a way the SE530's NEVER could.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #25 of 30
^ I think that the mids of the TF10 could be described as slightly recessed in its overall presentation. Apart from that small qualification, I entirely agree with your comparison of the SE530 and TF10 sound signatures.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done several a/b comparisons of the TF's vs SE530's, and see no degration in mid-quality going from the SE530's to the TF10's;

Well, I spent some more time comparing mids of the 2, and I was wrong. 530's mids are better in quality than tf10's.

I hate when I'm wrong...

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent comparison, and based on what you wrote, I know I can trust your opinion, as I agree with how you characterized the sound of HD650 and M50. The only thing I like more about the M50 than the HD650 is the punchier bass that has more of the solid impact of speaker monitors, which is missing from the HD650 (although HD650's is not bass shy at all--it's all there--just missing the visceral punch--that solid smack). If I could graft M50's bass onto HD650, I'd have found my perfect full-sized cans (anyone know of one like this?). I don't even want to think how slim my chances are of finding that kind of sound in an IEM, but for now, the SE530 will probably do.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but if that's what you are looking for in an IEM why aren't you checking out the IE8? It's a lot closer to what you are describing than either the 530 or the TF10.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite what the graph shows, i don't seem to hear more deep bass from SE530 than TF10pro. In fact SE530 bass kinda sound rolled off deep down to 50hz and less to me. I even tried to EQ that portion before, but it becomes distorted.

These are my sentiments too, actually. I'm not so sure about that FR graph, I definitely felt the TF10s had better and deeper bass than the SE530. Well it just shows that FR graphs don't tell the entire story. There's something with the SE530's overall presentation that makes the bass feel rolled off.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a little late to this discussion, but if that's what you are looking for in an IEM why aren't you checking out the IE8? It's a lot closer to what you are describing than either the 530 or the TF10.

Because the IE8's frequency response graph shows an insane amount of bass boost even in the neutral setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back