Triple drivers CIEMs.
Nov 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

guitargeek

Head-Fier
Hello all-diophiles,

I would like to seek some expert opinion and recommendations on this one. I am currently using the Shure SE215 and am thinking of an upgrade to customs. I'm on a budget so the most I can afford are triple drivers CIEMs (from my research, they should cost around USD500 or less.

I am still contemplating between dual drivers and triple drivers. I understand that more does not necessarily mean better so I just need as much opinion as possible since I wouldn't have the luxury to audition all of them.

The current CIEMs that I am looking at:
- Unique Melody Marvel
- Unique Melody Aero
- Livewires Trips
- Livewires Duals
- 1964-V3 Triple Driver
- Heir Audio 3.A
- Rooth Audio LS2
- Rooth Audio LS3
- Null Audio Elpis
- JH Audio JH5

If you have had any experiences with these, especially if you came from a Shure, do give me your impressions so that I can better decide! Thank you!

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 11
I know the 1964 ears v3, alclair reference, and JH5 seem to be well regarded around here (havent heard them personally). Do they even make livewires anymore?

Just wondering, why are you going customs from a 100$ IEM? I think it might be better to try different IEMs to make sure you know what sound signature you want. Perhaps get a GR07 (bass edition if you like bass) or something first? 

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 11
from all of those list, i'd say

pick aero/v3/jh5

this 3 guy here are on the same level.

cross the null audio elpis. from what i've read, it takes half a year

also, i already heard heir 3a, but the universal version 3ai. it sounds really weird to me as some frequency did not respond very well to them and there is definitely some coherency issue there. that's what i've heard myself.

and the last thing, from 3 candidate there, i recommend you to pick v3/jh5, as aero may be not  your preferences, but it is very good also.

note: i've never heard livewires or rooth. maybe some other members can comment on these.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 11
Im came from a pair of Shure SE315s. 

Im curious as to why you have set your mind on custom IEMs? From what I understand they offer a good boost in quality and seal but at the same time I feel like those would be harder to sell if you decide you want something else. 

I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. Coming from Shure SE315s I was looking for an upgrade of some sort (I had an itch to spend money on audio >_>) and doing a lot of research I really liked these CIEMs http://www.cosmicears.com/custom-monitors/ but I decided to stick with Universals. I ended up buying a pair of um3x from someone here on head-fi which im very happy with :)

Part of the fun of this hobby is being able to try all kinds of IEMs :)

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 11
Just wondering, why are you going customs from a 100$ IEM? I think it might be better to try different IEMs to make sure you know what sound signature you want. Perhaps get a GR07 (bass edition if you like bass) or something first? 

I'm no audio professional but I have an idea of what I like. I've been through the sennheiser cx300, SE215 and jh13s (which I sold due to financial constraints). As you can see from the 3, they have rather similar sound signature based on what I hear, apart from the jh13s that have slightly lesser bass compared to the mids and highs they were giving out. I'd love something with more bass but not too much. The Shure did it the way I liked it but I'm yearning for more clarity now.

from all of those list, i'd say

pick aero/v3/jh5

this 3 guy here are on the same level.

cross the null audio elpis. from what i've read, it takes half a year

also, i already heard heir 3a, but the universal version 3ai. it sounds really weird to me as some frequency did not respond very well to them and there is definitely some coherency issue there. that's what i've heard myself.

and the last thing, from 3 candidate there, i recommend you to pick v3/jh5, as aero may be not  your preferences, but it is very good also.

note: i've never heard livewires or rooth. maybe some other members can comment on these.

Thanks for the advice! Anyone can comment on the rooths?

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 11
  Im came from a pair of Shure SE315s. 

Im curious as to why you have set your mind on custom IEMs? From what I understand they offer a good boost in quality and seal but at the same time I feel like those would be harder to sell if you decide you want something else. 

I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. Coming from Shure SE315s I was looking for an upgrade of some sort (I had an itch to spend money on audio >_>) and doing a lot of research I really liked these CIEMs http://www.cosmicears.com/custom-monitors/ but I decided to stick with Universals. I ended up buying a pair of um3x from someone here on head-fi which im very happy with :)

Part of the fun of this hobby is being able to try all kinds of IEMs :)

I really love the customized stuff. I understand that there is no resale value in them but all my earphones and headphones have been exhausted by me and spoilt, resulting in me buying new ones. I'd like to believe that I have a very specific taste with regards to sound signature so might as well go customs.

I suppose you are right about it being a hobby and I should try all kinds of IEMs but I guess it's a personal pet peeve of mine. I can't justify spending above USD400 for a universal. But with the option of customization, it's a whole different story together. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 11
Noble 3C is another option from The Wizard's new company that claims to fix many of the problems of the 3.A, and they're going on sale soon (Black Friday). I don't know if anybody has reviewed them, but I love my 3.ai's, and his improvements on the 4.A are very will received so far.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 11
Currently, I've narrowed it down to:
- JHA JH5
- Noble Audio 3C
- 1964-V3 / 1964-D
- Heir Audio 3.A.

I have demo units at shops where I'm at but I don't have the time to head down to give it a try due to my schedule. Sadly, I think I will miss the black friday sales since I'll only be free on Saturday. 
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 11
+1 for the Alclair Reference monitor, got it after having the Shure SE535, they are balanced but natural, with good detail + body.

Listened to them today after not using them for a while, they made me remember why I got them, the comfort + sound exceeds anything else I currently have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back