Trip to NZ
Aug 18, 2007 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

cp8ir

Head-Fier
I'll be going to New Zealand next month for a tour of the South island. What's the weather usually like this time of year? What's good to eat? Anything unique and interesting I should look to do (other than enjoy the scenery)? What kind of cool souvenirs can I bring back home?

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cp8ir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be going to New Zealand next month for a tour of the South island. What's the weather usually like this time of year? What's good to eat? Anything unique and interesting I should look to do (other than enjoy the scenery)? What kind of cool souvenirs can I bring back home?

Great choice, going to the South Island (It's better than north
wink.gif
)

Weather aint too bad right now (In Christchurch anyway). It's very strange. Some days it gets up to 20 Centigrade and others its as low as 2. Further down south I think there might be still a little bit of snow, but in the middle and top half of the South Island theres none. Not much rain lately, and when there is its normally after 7pm.

To eat? I don't know much about good eating places in the rest of the country, but if you find a 'Lone Star' restaurant (Theres 2 in Christchurch and some in other cities), they have VERY good food and serve HUGE servings. I recommend the ribs for main and the Creme Brulee for dessert.

For things to do, you should check out the Yellow Eyed Penguin's in Dunedin, the glacier (wherever that is) hot pools in hanmer springs, shotover jet in Queenstown, Looge (spelling?) in queenstown and theres heaps of other stuff but I can't think of anything right now.

Bring back lots of photo's
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 19
The weather's crap in the North Island right now, so you made the right choice in going to the South. There's plenty of touristy things to do in Queenstown and Milford if that's your thing, but do keep in mind that New Zealand is hardly the world's most exciting country.

For restuarants you're just going to have to try some places out, being as it is small restaurants here can be impressively cheap for the quality of the food and wine they serve, but most of the large places with big advertising will disappoint. Take a few risks and you might be pleasently surprised.

Souvenir-wise there are bound to be plenty of places selling overpriced wool and pounamu based stuff, all of the cities here have at least a few places like that, even the ones that don't get the tourists.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 19
Oh and also, go to Willowbank in Christchurch. It's like an animal sanctuary where you get bags of food and feet the animals and eels. There's also a REALLY good (and expensive!) buffet there, which serves some traditional Maori food.

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 19
Should be able to get some snowboarding in (well I think it will be still snow season next month?).

There was a thread about NZ a few months back and IIRC it had some fairly decent posts

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 19
Hey, the North Island is good too you know...but yeah, the weather hasn't been so flash lately and if you can only pick one, then South Island it is. The weather changes everyday though, usually multiple times in a day.

As for what to do, it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're the sightseeing, tourist kinda person then there's no shortage of attractions - everywhere you look pretty much. If you're looking for thrill and adventure you could try snowboarding, skiing, bungy jumping, kayaking, jetboating, caving etc.

Don't count on bringing back any head-fi related souvenirs
wink.gif
Otherwise, things made from wool and sheepskin, chocolate etc. For places to eat, check out the Lonely Planet guide for NZ. They have little write-ups on most of the well-known places for good food regardless on how much you want to spend.

Aside from that, you could bring us some much needed headphone gear from the US!
biggrin.gif
Hope you enjoy your trip...

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from that, you could bring us some much needed headphone gear from the US!
biggrin.gif
Hope you enjoy your trip...

Great idea! You could do an official Head-fi New Zealand tour, so all us NZ HF'ers could get a taste of some nice headphone gear! :p

Aug 19, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...], but do keep in mind that New Zealand is hardly the world's most exciting country.

I studied for half a year in Wellington and traveled around New Zealand for two months after that (both North and South Islands), and I have to whole-heartedly disagree with your statement. Studying in New Zealand was the best period of my 21-year-young life. Amazing country, stunning travelling opportunities, great people. I had a perfect experience. New Zealand, and definitely the South Island, will not disappoint. I did (almost) everything, jumping off the Sky Tower in Auckland, skydiving at lake Taupo, bungeejumping the Nevis, zorbing at Rotorua, climbing the glaciers, doing the Tongariro Crossing, glowworm-cave tubing, too much to list! There's so much to do, and so little time! Beautiful country. I definitely want to go there again.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 19
I think we take a lot of the stuff in NZ for granted. Plus, I'm not sure about the others here from NZ but I haven't really done many of the quintessential NZ touristy things.

Were you studying at Vic?
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 19
Yep. Undergraduate Law first semester of 2006. Starting my Master in September
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I studied for half a year in Wellington and traveled around New Zealand for two months after that (both North and South Islands), and I have to whole-heartedly disagree with your statement. Studying in New Zealand was the best period of my 21-year-young life. Amazing country, stunning travelling opportunities, great people. I had a perfect experience. New Zealand, and definitely the South Island, will not disappoint. I did (almost) everything, jumping off the Sky Tower in Auckland, skydiving at lake Taupo, bungeejumping the Nevis, zorbing at Rotorua, climbing the glaciers, doing the Tongariro Crossing, glowworm-cave tubing, too much to list! There's so much to do, and so little time! Beautiful country. I definitely want to go there again.

blink.gif

Are we really THAT good?

Wow.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dislike touristy things and am no fan of the great outdoors. Suffice it to say I'm hardly in this country's target audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back