Trip-hop/electronic artists & CDs
Mar 4, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam
...Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain...

How this one didn't make everyone list is beyond me. By far the best trip hop/downbeat LP in the last five years.

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #47 of 76
Wow, I never new there was so much interest in trip-hop!
smily_headphones1.gif

I love all types of electronica but I really have been getting into trip-hop and similiar styles of music recently.

Apart from all the brilliant recommendations people have already made I do recommend the following:

Bent Their albums 'Programmed To Love', a 'The Everlasting Blink' and for me their latest and best, 'Ariels. I seriously can't stop listening to this stuff, kinda makes float into another dimension, amazing!

Mint Royale Similiar to bent, especially with theyr album 'Dancehall Places', excellent in my opinion.

Hexstatic I've only recently discovered their music and I'm currently listening to their album, 'Masterview' and I'm totally impressed. Very experimental style beats, the kinda music that puts a big grin on your face.

Theres so much more, alot of which has already been posted. I hope people keep this discussion going, as I really can't enough of this stuff.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #48 of 76
Air is great, I love the album Moon Safari.
I can also second Goldfrapp, I recently found Felt Mountain, it's fantastic.
From Morcheeba - Who can you trust, Charango, Big Calm - my order of preferrence.

Also, for those who did not like lamb, they should also try Lamb-Lamb.I like that album the best from them. Goreki is not like slow trance music.

Mar 4, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #49 of 76
IMO, Air's only two good albums is Moon Safari and Talkie Walkie.

Since people are mentioning Thievery Corp., try Kruder & Dorfmeister, starting with K&D sessions then DJ Kicks. Big blend of downtempo, including world beat (which is mostly what Thievery Corp. is). Their spin-off solo projects like Tosca and Peace Orchestra are groovey too (though identifiably different).

Currently in rotation for me is Daughter Darling, Mandalay, and Goldfrapp.

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #50 of 76
I disagree on the Air thing. "10,000hz Legend", "Premiers Symptômes" & the 12" for "Playground Love" are all very cool.

As for K&D that is probably the best LP to start with but I prefer Tosca "Opera" or "Suzuki"

titaniumx3, I have to admit I have not listened those choices. Thanks for giving me something new to checkout.
600smile.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #51 of 76
I like Premier Symptomes, although it really sounds like a rehash of Moon Safari to me. I don't like 10,000hz Legend at all.

Tosca's Delhi9 is my favorite Dorfmeister creation, but the other two are certainly fine albums.

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #53 of 76
"How Does It Make You Feel" has a great score, but the "vocals" (or whatever you want to call the computerized voice) annoys me to no end. "Radian" (nice ambient track) is probably my favorite track on the album. Don't get me wrong: 10,000hz Legend isn't a bad album. It's just a terribly forgettable one IMO.

BTW, I heard them live several months ago at the Hollywood Bowl. Nearly all their song selection was from Moon Safari or Talkie Walkie.

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #54 of 76
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Air's Virgin Suicides soundtrack... its the only one that I like at all. In general I find Air cheesy and boring.

Asr - Glad you got Formica Blues, its one of my favourites. Statik Sound System is great as well...

...completely unrelated, but if you get a chance try 'Sorem Sound System'. They are very hard to find, but you might be able to grab some tracks from soulseek or something. They used to be called 'Ausgetraumt' before that, but that is even harder to find. Anyways, it is very smooth sounding music from germany, highly recommended.
cool.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #55 of 76
This is just a list from my Electronic/Trip Hop Genre from iTunes. I did a once over on what I thought was out of place. There may still be a few that shouldn't be in there. You can't go wrong with most of them:

AIR
Alpha
Amon Tobin
Archive
Autechre
Baby Mammoth
Badmarsh & Shri
Baxter
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man
Blue Six
Blue States
Boards of Canada
Bonobo
Bows
Buddha Bar
Cinematic Orchestra
Crustation
Daughter Darling
De Phazz
Death In Vegas
Dido
DJ Shadow
Dntel
Dzihan & Kamien
Eletric Calm v2
Esthero
Explosions In The Sky
Express Rising
Four Tet
GodSpeed You Black Emperor!
Goldfrapp
Groove Armada
Gus Gus
Hooverphonic
Hotel Costes
Jay-Jay Johanson
jazzhole
Kid Loco
Kings of Convenience
Koop
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Lamb
Lemon Jelly
Lovage
LTJ Bukem
Mandalay
Massive Attack
Mc Honky
Mogwai
Mono
Morcheeba
Múm
Nightmares on Wax
Nitin Sawhney
nuspirit helsinki
Olive
Peace Orchestra
Pene Deluxe
Plaid
Portishead
Prefuse 73
Pres Cafe
Puracane
Radiohead
RJD2
Röyksopp
Sigur Ros
Sneaker Pimps
Soul Position (RJD2 & Blueprint)
St. Germain
The Chemical Brothers
The Future Sound Of London
The Merkin Dream
Thievery Corporation
Tosca
Tranquility Bass
Tricky
Underworld
UNKLE
Vanessa Daou
Verve Remixed
Verve Remixed 2
Zero 7

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #56 of 76
Pretty dead on list. The only ones that are completely off base ones that should be removed from the list are:

Radiohead
The Chemical Brothers
Underworld

And Pene Deluxe is misspelled it should be Pepe Deluxe.

I guess someone at iTunes is doing something right on their database.

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I don't think trip-hop is electronic music? It is sample based and is more analogue than electronic?

Maybe I'm wrong though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed. There are electronic variations, but this isn't originally an electronic genre. I'd contribute to this thread, but this isn't the electronic music of which I'm a fan. Now, start a thread for IDM, psychill, ambient, and the other cerebral genres and I'm there.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by phlavorman
This is just a list from my Electronic/Trip Hop Genre from iTunes. I did a once over on what I thought was out of place. There may still be a few that shouldn't be in there. You can't go wrong with most of them:

Oi! That's my playlist! What are you doing with all my music?!
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't call 'Godspeed', 'explosions in the sky' and 'Sigur Ros' trip-hop or electronica by any stretch (post-rock?) but they do share a common 'dark' and 'trippy' aesthetic.. (guess that's why they're in my playlist, too)

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

Royksopp
Not worth your time.

Can't agree on that one. Royksopp ROCK (in a wierd scandanavian kind of way). The textures on Melody AM are amazing..specially on vinyl
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back