Trip-hop/electronic artists & CDs
Dec 9, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #31 of 76
Thought this thread could use a bump.
wink.gif

And I got Spylab's "This Utopia" the other day, as well as Jem's "Finally Woken" (provoked by one of the "Closer" TV trailers). Finally Woken, not too sure about it. But I gotta admit, This Utopia is solid trip-hop. Not groundbreaking or even slightly innovative, but it's cool stuff, has a nice edge to it that sounds American (but apparently they're British?).

Upon further listens to This Utopia, I have to say, it totally sounds like what would come out of a blender churning up Crystal Method and Massive Attack.
tongue.gif
(Two of my favorite artists of course, but the similarity to a blended result is uncanny.)

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #32 of 76
I may have mentioned it already, but check out the band U-Topia. Very good dark trip hop. The only problem is that the only way you can get a CD is by purchasing it from the band directly or by downloading it from soulseek. If you PM 'kiara' at tripnotic.de she can set you up as she is the lead singer. All three of their albums are amazing.
cool.gif

oh, and here is their website: http://www.u-topia.co.uk/

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #33 of 76
Hi,
Here's something I can actually post a reply to.. the headphones/portable audio discussion I've found very helpful, but I don't have the expertise to offer much advice
icon10.gif

I recognise and have heard tracks of most of the artists listed, but not whole albums... these are the albums I have that I like most, from trip hop/electronica genres (I tend to stray across genres when I'm in the mood for either genre; and I've always though of Trip Hop as electronica "trip" but with hip-hoppy lyrics):

Massive Attack - 'Mezzanine' (lovely cd. I also own a boxed set of 11 singles with remixes, which is good.. worth checking out.. plus you get a groovy heat-sensitive case
cool.gif
I like the tracks on 'Blue Lines' but don't own the CD)

Archive - 'You All Look the Same to Me' (philodox you mentoined 'Londinium' by Archive.. nice.. probably more suited to be called Trip Hop, but I prefer the album 'you all look the same to me'.. Again is a great track
cool.gif
)

Sneaker Pimps - 'Bloodsport' - good trip hop album

Goldfrapp - 'Felt Mountain' (I didn't like the newer one 'Black Cherry' at all... Goldfrapp prolly comes under Electronica)

Hooverphonic - 'Blue Wonder Power Milk' (another Hooverphonic cd was mentioned but i like this one most... Electronica)

Aim - 'Cold Water Music' (I've heard many good tracks from this one and 'Hinterland'... both cds ought to be good, have to check them out wholly. Electronica)

Air - 'Talkie Walkie' - the latest one... very nice imo. I like 'Moon Safari' as well.. and 'Virgin Suicides' soundtrack i'm not sure.. haven't listened to it properly yet! (Electronica)

This might be least relevant to the thread, but someone might still slot it in under electronic music I guess; alternative rock with much electronic sound -
King Black Acid - 'Love's a Long Song'... mellow
smily_headphones1.gif

Never really got into Tricky... and Portishead I like but don't play often; doesn't really suit any of my moods.

Happy listening

Dec 14, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #34 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pritters
Archive - 'You All Look the Same to Me' (philodox you mentoined 'Londinium' by Archive.. nice.. probably more suited to be called Trip Hop, but I prefer the album 'you all look the same to me'.. Again is a great track)

Really? Everything I have read in trip hop channels says that it is a huge dissapointment after how good londinium was. Quote:

Goldfrapp - 'Felt Mountain' (I didn't like the newer one 'Black Cherry' at all... Goldfrapp prolly comes under Electronica)

I thought Black Cherry was a let down at first, but I revisited it recently and find it quite nice. I do have a soft spot for Alison's vox in the first one though, and the whistling is nice. Quote:

Never really got into Tricky...

Get maxinequaye and give it a good listen before you write off Tricky.
cool.gif
Quote:

and Portishead I like but don't play often; doesn't really suit any of my moods.

I'm the same way with them. I rarely listen to their albums.

Dec 15, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #35 of 76
What exactly is trip hop? Is it like electronica? If it is I would highly recommend DJ Krush. I own The Message at the Depth and have heard Jaku. They are both very good. The message at the Depth has some vocals over some of the songs that I don’t like that much, but all of Krush’s beats are solid.

Dec 15, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #36 of 76
DJ Krush is actually very close to trip hop... and very good by the way, nice taste.
cool.gif

If you want to hear some trip hop samples, check out www.tripofagia.com

Listen to some Massive Attack, Tricky and Portishead samples to get a feel for it and then move on to some of my favourites... Microbunny, U-topia, Archive and Thievery Corporation.

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #37 of 76
Another bump for this thread, thought it could use one.

And I've since acquired 5 CDs (a few of which were mentioned here) and would list them in the "Your 5 Newest CDs Thread" but I wanted to add short reviews of each, which follow below.
tongue.gif

Mono - Formica Blues
Great CD, love the almost-French tinge to it (thanks mostly to the female singer) which makes it sound alluringly foreign. Don't know if I'd classify it as "trip-hop" per se but it's definitely unique, soundtrack-esque music that uses a lot of real instruments. Very nice overall, although light on the electronic side, which I prefer in trip-hop (seeing as my main music preference is electronica).

Thievery Corporation - Mirror Conspiracy
At first I wasn't really digging this CD even though I knew what to expect from it, as an intro to Thievery Corp. Still hasn't made me go "wow" yet (hope it will soon), but man these guys know to work lounge/club music! Man this CD has music you could actually pull off at an actual lounge or upper-class club! Very cool stuff, love the world-music influences and its laidback style you could lose yourself in just lounging somewhere. Garza and Hilton are clearly masters of their game, I'll definitely be buying their other CDs.

Airlock - Drystar
Also a great CD, love this one too. Good female vocals backed with strong songwriting, altough the lyrics often are nonsensical. Has more of an "alternative/pop" feel to it than trip-hop IMO, especially since it's relatively fast-paced and even has some DJ scratching on it and delves into such breaks on the latter part of the disc, but still some great tracks with great sound layering and composition techniques. Quite a few of the tracks are really catchy too.

Mandalay - Solace
Wow, this CD really reminded me of Halou's "Wiser" as they have similar styles with a high-pitched female singer who literally uses her voice as an instrument over tracks with emotionally-charged instrumentation. While nowhere nearly as affecting or atmospheric (or electronic) as "Wiser," still an excellent CD. The singer uses a trembling/shaky voice effect a la Beth Gibbons with Portishead that kinda adds to it, and her voice turns out some powerful moments too on higher-pitched passages to add emotional punch. Its combo of orchestral elements with very-light electronics (and liberal use of bass) is an interesting one that makes for a powerful cinematic sound that I'd like to hear at full volume on my speakers sometime soon dammit! (Let's just say that right now there are people staying with me who don't like loud music.)

Statik Sound System - Tempesta II
Wow, what a great find! Found out about it while cross-searching among artists at FYE.com starting with Massive Attack, then Alpha, and then these guys. For those who prefer breakbeat electronica over anything else (that was me until I rediscovered Massive Attack back in April '04), this CD is the ULTIMATE intro into trip-hop for them. The music just has that necessary sound for trip-hop (and they're even from Bristol too), but apart from that it's practically breakbeat, just crammed with phat beats, bass rhythms, and some synth/digital effects! It's like as if Crystal Method went and took some drugs and decided to go trip-hop, seriously....

On a final note, Tempesta II kicks ass, I instantly recommend it for anyone looking for something new. Seems to be a rare disc too, good luck finding a copy, got mine from Djangos.com. Preview it here:
http://www.spun.com/music/product-detail.jsp?id=998720

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #38 of 76
Sasha - Involver
Listen to the Lostep - Burma track.

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #39 of 76
Well don't have that much to add. A lot of great bands already mentioned... But here are my picks for initial trip-hop albums. (Not including Mezzanine which you already have)

Massive Attack - Blue Lines - Essential to understanding the roots of the genre.

Portishead - Portishead - Brilliant album that, when combined with Blue Lines, gives a pretty wide look at trip-hop.

Bjork - Homogenic - A key album in the popularization of trip-hop and quite an excellent listen.

Tricky - Maxinque - Though not as historical as Blue Lines, probably a better album. Great performances. Daddy G (I believe), one of the trio that founded MA has said that this album is rarely far from his turntable.

Dj Shadow - Endtroducing - A great introduction to the more turn-table driven side of trip-hop.

UNKLE - Psyence Fiction - An interesting, sometimes very good, example of trip-hop / mainstream pop fusion. The final track "Rabbit in Your Headlights" (vocals by Thom Yorke) is one of the most haunting works in the genre.

Dj Spooky - File Under Futurism - Electronica / classical crossover. Very interesting and sometimes highly moving... Though depending on how you define trip-hop it may not be included in the genre. (Maybe it should be filed under futurism?
biggrin.gif
)

Everything But The Girl - Walking Wounded - A suprisingly good blend of lite jazz sensibilities with the production and sound of trip-hop.

Lamb - What Sound - The quintessential "trip-pop" album IMHO. Not adventerous but very moving and interesting.

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #40 of 76
I like Massive Attack, Crystal Method and Boards of Canada but was dissapointed by Lamb. They're like a slowed down trance tune.

Feb 21, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
...but was dissapointed by Lamb. They're like a slowed down trance tune.

Did you listen to their new album? It's ok, but not like their earlier stuff. Their older albums are more DnB or breakbeat sounding if anything. Pick up or download their album 'Fear of Fours' and see what you think.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #43 of 76
I second the recommendation for Statik Sound System, Tempesta is a great disc, the remix disc of it is a bit harder to find, but well worth the search.

A lot of great bands on this thread, and some that I have never heard of, but will have to check out!

Mar 3, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #44 of 76
Got some more CDs! Short reviews follow below:

Fluke - Puppy
Wow, what a great return to form for Fluke! Some people might ding this for sounding dated since it sounds like it came from 1997, from a b-side project spun off from Risotto, but IMO if there were ever a "b-side project" that outdid the original this would be it. It's the best electronic CD of 2004! All the other electronic artists put out crap compared to Fluke!
biggrin.gif

Massive Attack - Blue Lines, Protection, 100th Window
Can't add much about these CDs that isn't already known. MA is a true pioneer and I love these discs; Blue Lines for its edgy and "hip" production, Protection for its atmospherics, and 100th Window for its layered electronics. I dub "Heat Miser" MA's next best song to get sexy with!
wink.gif
(The first would be "Inertia Creeps" of course.)

Portishead - Portishead
Another CD I don't have much to add for. The bleak noir cinematica sound isn't exactly something one is usually in a mood for, but it's awe-inspiring regardless. I'm finding Gibbons' voice to be overrated--it's good, but IMO, the backing music is more captivating than her voice.

Olive - Extra Virgin
Not really digging this CD. Too much of an "alternative/pop" sound and no semblance of artistic trip-hop. Meh, maybe it'll grow on me with repeated listens....

St Germain - Tourist
Whoa, at first I was put off by this disc, since I don't like jazz, let alone 60s-sounding jazz. Gradually warming up to it though, reminds me of the Thievery Corp way in which multiple genres are successfully blended into trip-hop, except this artist blends jazz and trip-hop, and it totally works too. Amazing, who would've thought jazz can work with trip-hop?!

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Start with the absolute essential big three of trip hop genre:

PORTISHEAD - Dummy
SNEAKER PIMPS - Becoming X ("6 underground" most recognized trip hop song ever)
MASSIVE ATTACK - Mezzanine

Not shadow your posts, particularly one so old but the big three are actually

Portisehead - Dummy
Trick - Maxinquaye
Massive Attack - Blue Lines

There are a dozen bands I would list before Sneaker Pimps (think if them as the Garbage/Curve of trip hop or imitator/source) and Mezzanine was not a later album by Massive Attack and not one of their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back