Trip-hop/electronic artists & CDs
Oct 28, 2004 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm primarily drawn to beat-driven electronic music (think Crystal Method and Fluke) and Orbital, so when I recently rediscovered Massive Attack (had Mezzanine in collection but never really listened to it) some months ago I started on a crusade for trip-hop. My CD collection is pretty limited, not that I don't have $$$ or anything, just that I'm extremely particular when it comes to music (and no one likes wasting money on crap CDs either). Anyway for the past several weeks I've been looking into trip-hop and discovered some artists and CDs, maybe some of you have heard about them, maybe not, but I declare this thread the official Head-Fi Trip-Hop/Electronic thread!
280smile.gif

So if anyone wants to comment on anything in this list, feel free, or post your own additions! Trip-hop preferred but electronica is welcome too!

Unknowns: (would like some comments)
- Air
- Airlock - Drystar
- Cirrus (TCM soundalike?)
- Faithless - Sunday 8 PM SE
- Futureshock (another TCM soundalike?)
- Halou - Wiser (ordered it today based on the reviews I've read!)
- Laika - Sounds of the Satellites (also ordered today! is it good too?)
- Lamb
- Minus 8
- Mono - Formica Blues
- Morcheeba - Charango (or are other CDs better?)
- Nightmares on Wax
- Royksopp
- Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X
- Spylab - This Utopia (planning to get it though, sounds similar to Massive Attack)
- Thievery Corporation - Mirror Conspiracy
- Tosca
- Zero 7

Oct 28, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 76
I second Portishead, normally I wouldn't recommend a live album as a starting point for an artist but their Roseland NYC Live album is phenomenal. You mentioned Mirror Conspiracy, I wouldn't really call that trip-hop myself, but the other Thievery Corporation albums are excellent too. Sounds From The Thievery Hi-fi is the predecessor, it's more dubby and smoked out than Mirror Conspiracy but still very good. I'd also recommend Tosca - Delhi 9, it's a side project of one of the Kruder & Dorfmeister guys (I can't rememeber which). Speaking of K&D, their DJ Kicks album is good too, probably more on the dub edge of trip-hop but worth a listen. It was my love of Portishead that got me into Morphine, now you wouldn't describe it as trip-hop but it has a very dark, whisky & cigarettes feeling to it too. I'd highly recommend their album The Night to anyone, but it's not electronica
smily_headphones1.gif

If youre only going to get one album though, get a Portishead album. They pretty much defined the trip-hop sound and they're a must have
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: Some other stuff that's not trip-hop but you might like from your stated tastes... You probably know these groups already though...

Leftfield - Leftism: One of the first electronic albums recorded, mixed and produced digitally (I think), this one was a ground breaker and is still excellent today.

Apollo Four Forty - Electro Glide In Blue: Again, an earlier big-beat album. They lost track of the sound a bit after this unfortunately.

Propellerheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll: Big Beat in the James Bond style. Spybreak was the signature tune of The Matrix, wait till you hear On Her Majesty's Secret Service. A fun album.

Underworld - Everything, Everything. A bloody amazing live album.

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 76
Excellent, Trip Hop is what I have been listening to mostly right now also!!!!

Asr wrote... "I'm primarily drawn to beat-driven electronic music (think Crystal Method and Fluke) and Orbital, so when I recently rediscovered Massive Attack (had Mezzanine in collection but never really listened to it)"

Well most of the Artists, that you listed above in your post, are opposite to
The Crystal Method, and Fluke sound. The Artists you listed are Trip
Hop/Downtempo there isn't really a genre clear that the Artists you listed fall under, however they are normally lumped under electronica.

But if you are interested in more music like Massive Attack (Trip Hop -ish, downtempo, chill out -ish) I can mention the ones I like, and Maybe others can properly comment more on the artists that I will list also.

I can comment on the following ...

Lamb - This is the band that I have been listening to!!!!!! Very good trippy, electronic, Jazzy, Orchestral, Female Lead Singer, great music. I have listened to most of their releases and they are very good. I am into the chill out female bliss type of songs and Lamb fits that perfectly. If you are interested in some of their better songs check out: Lusty, Gorecki, Bonfire, What Sound, Written, Gabriel, Stronger, Learn Excellent songs!

Morcheeba - Charango (or are other CDs better?)
Only Songs I like from them is Blindfold, The Sea, Tape Loop, Otherwise, Col

Royksopp
This group is very nice. The songs that I have heard from them are instrumentals, jazzy, trippy, great music.

Zero 7
Good songs from Simple Things: 1,3,6,7,8.&14

Also if you like Massive Attack, you should look for the music by the artist called TRICKY. Tricky was the first lead vocalist for Massive Attack, then he broke up from the band and went solo. He has made some great music in his solo career.

Portishead very good music, killer female Vocals.
Their lead singer Beth Gibbons also worked on a collaborative effort and produced "Out of Season" very good also.

Other Artists that I Like...
Groove Armada
UNKLE
DJ Shadow
Emiliana Torrini

Well I do not consider his music Trip Hop, but another artist that I really like his music is Rob Dougan. Rob Dougan is most famous for his instrumental song "Clubbed to Death" that was featured in "The Matrix" Motion Picture. If
you like Electronica music, and like the mixture of Electronic synthesized music, with orchestral components check out Rob Dougan's release "Furious Angels." Rob Dougan's voice is very deep and unique. Whenever I play his CD for the first time to some people they are all like "What is that!" But once they hear more of it they like the Orchestral mixed with the electronic sound. Very emotional music, great lyrics, great beats, and everybody loves the song "Clubbed to Death."

Then I have to mention another musical artist HYBRID. Their music has everything Trance, Dance, Jazzy, Electronic, Break Beats.

You have to know about MOBY also. Check out his music if you haven't already. Then for a change up complete opposite to this sound MOBY also produced his Release "ANIMAL RIGHTS" which was a Alternative Punk-ish Rock that I also liked. Just shows you the diversity and the talent of the musician.

Sorry, I am not doing justice to the music or the artists I have mentioned
with my bad descriptions. But with this listing as a start you can get a feel
of what good music is out there.

You may want to check out the Compilation Mixes that are available so that you can get exposed to new music from different artists.

These are not Trip Hop, but in the Electonic category...

Compilation Series such as:
* Cafe Del Mar Series
* Another Late Night
* Buddha Bar
* Hotel Costes
Excellent Series Releases!!!!!

If anybody is into this type of music also, answer my question
biggrin.gif

On the Another Late Night by Fila Brazillia release.
Song #13. Outside - Blue Skies
Excellent Slow, Chilled Out, Jazzy, Trip Hop-ish, Dark-ish, R&B-ish, Song!
I found an Outside CD, but it was nothing like this song "Blue Skies."
Does anybody know about OUTSIDE that produces this song "Blue Skies."

Or any more music like this song "Blue Skies?"

Keep the recommendations coming, I am always looking for good new music.

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 76
Hybrid - Morning Sci-Fi and Wide Angle are both REALLY good CD's imho. Both would be in my top 5 favourite CD's.
600smile.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 76
Start with the absolute essential big three of trip hop genre:

PORTISHEAD - Dummy
SNEAKER PIMPS - Becoming X ("6 underground" most recognized trip hop song ever)
MASSIVE ATTACK - Mezzanine

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 76
I think I've suggested this before, but another compilations series that features a lot of the artists the first poster listed is the Chillout Sessions series put out by Ministry of Sound. They are 2 disc compilations that are mixed and flow one into the other. I've enjoyed all of the ones I've heard so far. My favorite is this one.

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Air

Never much cared for Air, but the Virgin Suicides soundtrack is great.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Halou - Wiser (ordered it today based on the reviews I've read!)

Good move there, Halou is great stuff... I'm sure you will love it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Laika - Sounds of the Satellites (also ordered today! is it good too?)

I've got their album Wherever I am I am What is Missing and it is great... havent checked out their earlier stuff yet though. Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Lamb

Lamb is great. Fear of Fours is by far their best album... the track Fly still gives me shivers. The rest of their albums are good as well although their newest one takes a slightly different direction. [still good though] Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Mono - Formica Blues

Well someone is obviously already coaching you well. Mono's Formica Blues is definately an essential Trip Hop album. Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Morcheeba - Charango (or are other CDs better?)

Yes they are... much better... Charango doesnt suck or anything, but you would be better off buying Who Can You Trust? or Big Calm. The new compilation Parts of the Process might be a good start as well... I dont bother with compilations for artists when I already own all their CD's.
tongue.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Nightmares on Wax

Not Trip Hop IMO, but great stuff. I think Carboot Soul is the best one to start with. Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Royksopp

Not worth your time. Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X

Great album that gets old fast. Their newer stuff [bloodsport and splinter] is much better, but gets overlooked because Kelli Ali [the female singer] is no longer with them. Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Thievery Corporation - Mirror Conspiracy

If you dont buy all of Thievery Corporation's albums bad things will happen to you!
eek.gif

lol, just kidding, but they are probably my favourite band... Mirror Conspiracy is a good one to start with.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Zero 7

Great band. Simple Things was very nice and light hearted. I find When It Falls to be a superior album all around though... The song Warm Sound is another one that gives me shivers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Massive Attack is in my opinion the place to start. Get Blue Lines and Maxinequaye [edit: what was I smoking here? I meant Mezzanine] as they are the bands most definative albums... then buy all the rest.
icon10.gif

I do think that a little Portishead is required to really get a feel for Trip Hop, but they are not the best Trip Hop band by any means. Get Dummy and I'm sure it will be on repeat in your CD player for the first week or so. Great Album.

For Tricky, Maxinequaye is his best, Pre Millenium Tension a close second. All of his other albums are good, but VERY different. I would suggest his Nearly God progect as a good third album.

Get DJ Shadow - Endtroducing! Right Now!

Some other good 'oldies': Smith & Mighty, Monk & Canatella, Sunday Munich

...and some must have albums from lesser known artists:
Archive - Londinium
Microbunny - Microbunny [Their new album Dead Stars is great as well]
Puracane - Things You Should Leave Alone
Esthero - Breath From Another

...and some stuff that isnt really Trip Hop but is great:
Ulrich Schnauss
Wax Poetic
Xploding Plastix
Koop
Cinematic Orchestra
Quantic Soul Orchestra
Lemon Jelly
The Dining Rooms
The Notwist
Styrofoam
Lali Puna
DJ Spooky

Is that enough?
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Also if you like Massive Attack, you should look for the music by the artist called TRICKY. Tricky was the first lead vocalist for Massive Attack, then he broke up from the band and went solo. He has made some great music in his solo career.

Not to be picky as you did give some great recommendations in your response, but I have to dissagree with this statement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tricky was never the lead anything in Massive Attack. Robert Del Naja [3D] has always been the lead vocalist of the band. Tricky was always a junior member... He went by the name 'Tricky Kid' back then and there are two common schools of thought as to why he left the band. 1. Massive Attack was stifeling his creativity and restricting him too much. 2. He is an arrogant jackass and was kicked out.

Personally I think it was a little bit of both. I love Tricky, but I think he would be really hard to work with... and he has some anger management issues.

Dont get me wrong... they are all obviously hard to deal with. Mushroom split from the band when he and 3D couldnt work out their differences. I think Daddy G is the only one that left on good terms... for family reasons. I hope he comes back, I think I miss him the most.

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Start with the absolute essential big three of trip hop genre:

PORTISHEAD - Dummy
SNEAKER PIMPS - Becoming X ("6 underground" most recognized trip hop song ever)
MASSIVE ATTACK - Mezzanine

I second that recommendation--I would also add TRICKY--Maxinquaye

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 76
i would skip over zero 7,

royksopp has a fun cd, worth a few listens, amon tobin is super, after you listen to some cds, check out the live "solid steel" mix he did, its really cool. as for air, you love it or you hate it. i love it, especially talkie walkie and 10000hertz legend. i personally found thievery corp to be a litte boring and repetative, I liked it a lot of first but it got old quick. faithless i never liked too much even if I listened to most of their stuff.

good luck,

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 76
Amon Tobin is hardly trip-hop? I have the Supermodified CD, I'd call it d'n'b or breakbeat. Though I may be wrong?

Oct 29, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 76
Amon Tobin isn't really trip hop at all, more dnb/acid jazz/breakbeat.

I'll toss in a vote here for Hooverphonic, since many of my other favorites have already been mentioned. Start with New Stereophonic Sound Spectaclar.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 76
daughter darling - sweet shadows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back