TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #18,181 of 24,683
I'm still trying to figure out the technical difference between the Icarus IV and the PM6?
Ignoring the balanced armature part; just between:
Icarus IV: "11mm dual coil electroacoustic transducer"
& PM6: 2 x dual coil dynamic drivers in a push-pull configuration

If anyone with technical knowledge could advise, I'd really appreciate it!
Namely:
1) what is an 'electroacoustic transducer'? How does it compare to a dynamic driver? Or it's a different name for the same thing?

I don't know if by electroacoustic they mean electrostatic, if so:

http://headfonics.com/2011/05/dynamic-vs-orthodynamic-vs-electrostatic-which-is-which/

Or... Answer in previous post:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...the-future-holds.828234/page-92#post-13282346
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...the-future-holds.828234/page-92#post-13282346

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #18,182 of 24,683
Whenever I hear about an IEM involving a dynamic driver, it's usually a safe bet that it will have deep and powerful bass.
Just as examples, Sony's XBA A series used big dynamic drivers purely for bass, tuned solely to fill the lower frequency range with a wideband BA for mids and a BA tweeter. The new N series has the smaller dynamic drivers tuned for mids and bass, with a single HD BA tweeter, and consequently the sound has richer mids - because they are supplied by the dynamic.
Hopefully the PM6 will give you the same bass as the PM4, only reason it might not is if they have put a resistor in to tone down the dual drivers in order for the BAs to feature more prominently and provide more of the overall sound.
The IcarusIV is presumably tuned to use the bigger dynamic to provide warm (slow decay) bass and rich mids - one 11mm dynamic has a similar surface area to 2 7mm drivers.. radius of a circle, and consequent area etc. But as noted below, it's acting as one 7mm driver, so the 11mm driver has much greater surface area. And fills in more as there are only 2 BAs, not 4 as in the PM6.
To be seen..:wink:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #18,183 of 24,683
2) As far as I know, IEM's such as the Campfire Audio Vega have a single dynamic driver per side (per individual earphone I mean).
So am I understanding correctly that the PM6 actually has TWO dynamic drivers per side (in a push-pull configuration lol)?
pm6: two dynamic drivers coupled to work as one unit = push-pull (isobaric) design.
advantage of this design is that it has more/deeper/clearer bass response.

The icarus iv achieves this (i assume) with bigger drivers (11mm). The drivers in the phantom line are 7mm afaik.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #18,185 of 24,683
Reading the Icarus II specification I see no mention of a screen. How do you suppose we will be able to select tracks from our 264gb library?

One word:

Shuffle :p

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #18,186 of 24,683
Reading the Icarus II specification I see no mention of a screen. How do you suppose we will be able to select tracks from our 264gb library?
That's a good point though, especially as the DAP is purported to be tiny.

I see 3 potential options (there may be others, I just can't think of them yet lol):

1) Like the Alien Gold (another screenless DAP), you can use physical buttons to navigate. It just involves using folders, each one perhaps being stored on a separate 2-8GB micro-SD card, or otherwise just constructing and memorising folders carefully. Some people loved the Alien Gold, so it's certainly possible. A pain in the neck, but not necessarily a total dealbreaker.
Note that the physical buttons could be on the DAP itself or on some in-line controller as part of the cable.

2) It links up to your mobile phone, Chord Poly style.

3) it uses voice activated functions with a built in mic

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #18,187 of 24,683
That's a good point though, especially as the DAP is purported to be tiny.

I see 3 potential options (there may be others, I just can't think of them yet lol):

1) Like the Alien Gold (another screenless DAP), you can use physical buttons to navigate. It just involves using folders, each one perhaps being stored on a separate 2-8GB micro-SD card, or otherwise just constructing and memorising folders carefully. Some people loved the Alien Gold, so it's certainly possible. A pain in the neck, but not necessarily a total dealbreaker.
Note that the physical buttons could be on the DAP itself or on some in-line controller as part of the cable.

2) It links up to your mobile phone, Chord Poly style.

3) it uses voice activated functions with a built in mic

I love the voice activated function idea, but that's really far fetched. :wink:

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #18,189 of 24,683
I love the voice activated function idea, but that's really far fetched. :wink:
Someone asked a question, I suggested some answers.
Whether they are remotely likely or not is irrelevant :p

And I didn't even mention my 4th option involving an EEG cap, that detects patterns in brain activity to read your mind and navigate accordingly* :wink:

*there's already research that can use this technology to drive a remote controlled car by thought alone. So it's not as far-fetched as it sounds :D

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #18,190 of 24,683
On the CAD drawing there was a small screen at one end.

Indeed. But that design could have been superseded now.

And in any case, if the 4 connector options indicate that the DAP is really designed to hang from one's ear, then it must be pretty tiny.
And if it's tiny and dangling at earring height, how are you going to look at the tiny screen anyway?
You must have a friend with you at all times lol. It's taking music sharing to a whole new (low) level :D

Otherwise, it must be more of a neckace design? But then why do we have to specify which connectors we use for our IEM's?

Questions, questions.. :)

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #18,191 of 24,683
Indeed. But that design could have been superseded now.

And in any case, if the 4 connector options indicate that the DAP is really designed to hang from one's ear, then it must be pretty tiny.
And if it's tiny and dangling at earring height, how are you going to look at the tiny screen anyway?
You must have a friend with you at all times lol. It's taking music sharing to a whole new (low) level :D

Otherwise, it must be more of a neckace design? But then why do we have to specify which connectors we use for our IEM's?

Questions, questions.. :)

Considering how everything has been going with Trinity lately, you are probably correct in a design change.

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #18,192 of 24,683
Someone asked a question, I suggested some answers.
Whether they are remotely likely or not is irrelevant :p

And I didn't even mention my 4th option involving an EEG cap, that detects patterns in brain activity to read your mind and navigate accordingly* :wink:

*there's already research that can use this technology to drive a remote controlled car by thought alone. So it's not as far-fetched as it sounds :D

It's far fetched for Trinity, not for the technology. :wink: And we're just shooting the breeze here!

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #18,193 of 24,683
I too noticed a buzzing sound in my right earbud and found out it had to do with having my source plugged in to an outlet. Also every filter I have tried tends to be very bright and really thinking I may have the same problem as someone else posted last week about their Hunter.

@Remian7, This had occurred to me as well. Unfortunately nothing was plugged into a power supply. I was listening on battery power all the while. I'll see how it goes.

What I have learnt so far is to experiment more with eartips. The filter size of all trinity IEM sounds much better and balanced with large bore size tips. I have also modified some of the tips and made them like combi tips.
So far I have tried Spinfits cp100, sony hybrid, and other eartips. I'm waiting for Spiraldot eartips though. it has large bore size.

The fit and seal is very important to really hear the sound difference with same filters. I have done some experiment with modifying the damping material of filters as well. Instead of foam, I used three layers of toilet paper in round shape. It does wonders. I also used foam of comply tips as damping material and it's better than Trinity stock damping material.

Don't afraid of doing some modifications:)

@bk123; I think we might have stumbled onto something here. This is what led me to try Spiral Dots starting with the PM4 (trying to tame some of that hot treble). I've been tip-rolling with Trinity IEMs and have tried all their stock tips and Kombi tips, Spin Fits, Sony Hybrids, Comply foams, and then some! I've been incredibly lucky in getting good seals with all the tips I've tried except for the Spin Fits (even after going so far as to stuff Kombi foam under the eartip cups).

I finally settled on the Spiral Dots (ML-size, 13mm dia.) because I felt, as you mentioned, they helped the Trinity IEMs sound more open and balanced.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll try to get a bit more familiar with the stock damping material and then try some damping material mods over the coming weekend. I'll try to post back on my findings (if any).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back