TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Nov 25, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #8,731 of 24,683
You are aware that the KS cleary stated there are delays etc? It's not hidden it's clearly stated on the disclosure section of the page.

Not sure what you are even talking about. Read the comment I was replying to.

Ajax second paragraph is exactly what I'm saying. Its down though. As clarified by Bob, BF Sales of PM6 and Hunter will be going out in a later wave. Early adopters/preorder get them first, $30 more is our "fee" for getting them early. I'm perfectly OK with that. To demand anything now would be messed up.

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #8,732 of 24,683
Times in my long-ass post that the word 'bad' was used = 0.

If I wasn't clear: the track is not bad, itself. It is bright. Probably intentionally, its supposed to be exciting. Plays great on fuller-sounding IEMs. I don't think it works well with the PM4. Big deal? Shouldn't be, no. 

I listen to Blondie and some of even her mastered tracks are very bright and edgy, hard to enjoy but the tunes are catchy. I never blame my Atlas, it's only reproducing that was initially there. :D

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #8,733 of 24,683
Not sure what you are even talking about. Read the comment I was replying to.

Ajax second paragraph is exactly what I'm saying. Its down though. As clarified by Bob, BF Sales of PM6 and Hunter will be going out in a later wave. Early adopters/preorder get them first, $30 more is our "fee" for getting them early. I'm perfectly OK with that. To demand anything now would be messed up.

Sorry, sounded like you were complaining. I see you were only clarifying. LOL. Erase erase. :D

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #8,735 of 24,683
I listen to Blondie and some of even her mastered tracks are very bright and edgy, hard to enjoy but the tunes are catchy. I never blame my Atlas, it's only reproducing that was initially there.
biggrin.gif

That is what I'm saying, really. Its a synergy thing. I suspect it has a solid rise somewhere in the 4-6 kHz range and tracks with a lot of energy in this area will be overbearing to some, like myself, this is not the first IEM I've experienced this with - but a major lack in this area can frustrate me just as much. Its not blaming the IEM, but I'll choose to skip that track and others that I don't like the sound of, as I do with other IEMs and other tracks.
Conversely, so far it has handled sibilant tracks very well. Works well with live recordings. 

So how did the PM4 handle fast paced metal tracks? That is one of the things I've been most interested in heading about.
biggrin.gif

I think in a technical sense, it handles metal just fine. Its fast and clear, can open up congested tracks. I think I simply like more mid/upper-mid range (~1-3 kHz) than I perceive it having. Its tuned more towards female vocals and male vocals tend to be a little recessed but, that can help create a fairly epic stage for metal. Maiden is sounding good! Through the Fire and Flames was fun but a little fatiguing by the end for me. Guitar solos are very forward. If you like intense you'll enjoy it. 

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #8,736 of 24,683
In regards to the BF sales, normally I take the opinion that if you pay full price for something at or close to release, you've paid for the opportunity to have it immediately, as opposed to those who will pay (potentially much) less in the future but who do not get to enjoy while you do. Most video games are a perfect example of this these days, where they consistently drop in price over 6 months to a year, but we all know this will apply at some point to the majority of products.

The thing is, in this case, we don't have what we paid for yet. It muddies the waters. Its fair to say we've paid to guarantee we'll get them at a solid price (no guarantee there would have been a sale, or even available product in the case of the Hunters), and that we're first in line to receive them, but... thats a hard sell. Because, again, we're not yet enjoying the thing we paid for, while others are already paying less for it.
(To be clear - I have orders for all the upcoming models (well, kickstarter for Air), and haven't canceled any - just saying how it feels. I appreciate I'm in a situation where I can be dumb enough to order all these things and not worry about it; someone to whom these things are a greater investment, if they were rather upset, I could not judge them for it). 

I think the main complaints are from those of us newer to Trinity products, whose motivating factor was the bargain. Of course they/we are going to be a little bummed out or upset seeing a product that we have been waiting a month or more for, selling for less. No amount of fanboy justifications will take away that sting. For those of us who bought during the window that I did, the only way to get the PM6 was to get it through Kickstarter. At $50 over the BF price and without any option to cancel it is hard not to regret that. Personally I started out just a little sad about it but all the justifications of that feeling against the fanboyism has done nothing but intensify that feeling, drumming up righteous indignation...

At least there is some comfort in knowing we will be earlier on the list, though I suspect that will only be a few days. I guess lesson learned, I won't back Trinity Kickstarters, but rather buy directly from the site if I buy from them again. I really hate Kickstarter and didn't want to buy the PM6 that way, but it was the only option at that time...

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #8,740 of 24,683
I think the main complaints are from those of us newer to Trinity products, whose motivating factor was the bargain. Of course they/we are going to be a little bummed out or upset seeing a product that we have been waiting a month or more for, selling for less. No amount of fanboy justifications will take away that sting. For those of us who bought during the window that I did, the only way to get the PM6 was to get it through Kickstarter. At $50 over the BF price and without any option to cancel it is hard not to regret that. Personally I started out just a little sad about it but all the justifications of that feeling against the fanboyism has done nothing but intensify that feeling, drumming up righteous indignation...

At least there is some comfort in knowing we will be earlier on the list, though I suspect that will only be a few days. I guess lesson learned, I won't back Trinity Kickstarters, but rather buy directly from the site if I buy from them again. I really hate Kickstarter and didn't want to buy the PM6 that way, but it was the only option at that time...

Have you emailed the Trinity team at all about this? They check the thread, but it moves so quickly you tend to have a better chance getting their attention by email. I like the way Trinity works, but you can't argue that there isn't some disconnect in the pricing structure you've encountered. If you have logic to your complaint, and I very much think you do, I wouldn't see why Bob and the team wouldn't make some sort of effort to consider your argument or at least give a reply that isn't layered in speculation (seeing as most responses to your inquiry are from other fellow users) and even a potential appropriate plan of follow-up action.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #8,741 of 24,683
Anyway, I really came to say: I found the PM4 harsh on initial listen. Well, no, actually first listen was some smooth DnB so that was quite nice. But then harsh on rock and metal tracks.

Now, I find them better so to perhaps help others who have or will find them harsh:

1) Silver damped filters - perceptually least bright, although I still found them harsh to begin with. And these do not seem to be bass monsters so if you expect a solid low end these will be your filters anyway.

Example - Listening to a flac rip of 'Smells like Teen Spirit', before was unbearable, now is bearable - but still not great on the PM4, its a bright track (or rip) and the guitars and vocals need filling out which the PM4 will not do (so far at least). Even fast forwarding to 'In Bloom', a fuller track, that sounds much better. 

I agree wtih you very much about these. They are kind of an interesting beast for me, I have heard tracks that sound amazing on them and others that dont quite stack up.

I have also just switched to the silver damped filters as well, for two reasons, the first is that I wanted a little more punch than sometimes I feel like I get from the gunmetal, and second, I am one of the few that is having threading issues with the filters and the gunmetal are particularly bad and I cant get the right one to thread in. Whenever the replacements arrive I should have no such issues though.

Since you mentioned smells like teen spirit, I went and played it, and yes that track does not sound good with the pm4. Tracks with heavy cymbals and lots of electric guitar with that distortion pedal effect seem to be the worst offenders. Though it definitely depends on the track. Some are actually presented nicely, but as you said. theres gotta be a peak somewhere up there that certain tracks seem to hit just right and just dont work well. Which is too bad since most tracks sound really good.

I have found acoustic tracks seem to sound really good. Been listening to Above and Beyond Acoustic 1 and 2, and they sound wonderful.

I previously owned the Mee Pinnacle P1 and really like them and was hoping the PM4 would be a good complement offering similar quality with a more fun sound signature, and thats exactly what I got. Also been very tempted with these black friday sales to jump on the PM6, which was otherwise a bit out of my price range... but I just jumped on the Massdrop Noble X. Cancel and switch? Heh maybe not the best thread to ask since I know what you all will say!

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #8,742 of 24,683
Have you emailed the Trinity team at all about this? They check the thread, but it moves so quickly you tend to have a better chance getting their attention by email. I like the way Trinity works, but you can't argue that there isn't some disconnect in the pricing structure you've encountered. If you have logic to your complaint, and I very much think you do, I wouldn't see why Bob and the team wouldn't make some sort of effort to consider your argument or at least give a reply that isn't layered in speculation (seeing as most responses to your inquiry are from other fellow users) and even a potential appropriate plan of follow-up action.
Yep, I've emailed to both Jake and the enquiry address yesterday. Still waiting for a reply, I'm sure they are very busy so not too concerned I haven't gotten a response yet. I really wish I could switch my order to the Hunter at the current price, but that is likely impossible since I went through the Kickstarter for my initial order.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #8,743 of 24,683
Yep, I've emailed to both Jake and the enquiry address yesterday. Still waiting for a reply, I'm sure they are very busy so not too concerned I haven't gotten a response yet. I really wish I could switch my order to the Hunter at the current price, but that is likely impossible since I went through the Kickstarter for my initial order.

Not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but yeah I'd say usually not best to get your hopes up. I'll cross my fingers for you though.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #8,744 of 24,683
Haven't had a chance to go through all this thread yet. But is anyone able to upload a photo of the PM4 in ear? And maybe it's size compared to other IEM's. Apologies if some have been uploaded already.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #8,745 of 24,683
I agree wtih you very much about these. They are kind of an interesting beast for me, I have heard tracks that sound amazing on them and others that dont quite stack up.

I have also just switched to the silver damped filters as well, for two reasons, the first is that I wanted a little more punch than sometimes I feel like I get from the gunmetal, and second, I am one of the few that is having threading issues with the filters and the gunmetal are particularly bad and I cant get the right one to thread in. Whenever the replacements arrive I should have no such issues though.

Since you mentioned smells like teen spirit, I went and played it, and yes that track does not sound good with the pm4. Tracks with heavy cymbals and lots of electric guitar with that distortion pedal effect seem to be the worst offenders. Though it definitely depends on the track. Some are actually presented nicely, but as you said. theres gotta be a peak somewhere up there that certain tracks seem to hit just right and just dont work well. Which is too bad since most tracks sound really good.

I have found acoustic tracks seem to sound really good. Been listening to Above and Beyond Acoustic 1 and 2, and they sound wonderful.

I previously owned the Mee Pinnacle P1 and really like them and was hoping the PM4 would be a good complement offering similar quality with a more fun sound signature, and thats exactly what I got. Also been very tempted with these black friday sales to jump on the PM6, which was otherwise a bit out of my price range... but I just jumped on the Massdrop Noble X. Cancel and switch? Heh maybe not the best thread to ask since I know what you all will say!

From what I read in the Noble X thread it's delayed til March?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back