TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Nov 23, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #8,341 of 24,683
Spinfit foam mod? That certainly sounds interesting. Would you have a link with more details as to what that is? I couldn't find it myself.

Was posted a couple of pages ago - remove foam from equivalent Kombi tip and place it inside a Spinfit tip for better fit and isolation. Just tried it and it's absolute genius. Kudos to the poster (Bob A I think or Indigobob) for finding this.

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #8,343 of 24,683
Was posted a couple of pages ago - remove foam from equivalent Kombi tip and place it inside a Spinfit tip for better fit and isolation. Just tried it and it's absolute genius. Kudos to the poster (Bob A I think or Indigobob) for finding this.

I can vouch for this mod too. The spinfits fit me better, and doing this little mod has allowed me to achieve a deeper fit and perfect seal with superb isolation.

Using them with the gold-undamped filters creates an amazing balance. I feel like the better seal has enchanced the bass as well in a good way. I say this because I previously felt the gold filters were lacking in bass slightly, now I feel like they hit the spot exactly!

Give it a shot! YMMV but it is easily reversible if it doesn't suit you.

EDIT: This also made me realise how much tip-rolling affects the sound you hear. Everyone has different ear anatomy, so if you're having issues, I encourage you to try different tips (foam, hybrid, spinfit, wide-bore, double flange etc. etc.). Sometimes the difference makes or breaks the experience!

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #8,345 of 24,683

EDIT: This also made me realise how much tip-rolling affects the sound you hear. Everyone has different ear anatomy, so if you're having issues, I encourage you to try different tips (foam, hybrid, spinfit, wide-bore, double flange etc. etc.). Sometimes the difference makes or breaks the experience!

Am trying to stick with the gunmetal damped filters and memory foam tips for the first couple of weeks (or until 20-50 hours of burn-in have occurred).  The idea being I then have a known benchmark to compare other filters and tips against. 

Having said that, I'm still finding the treble too sharp and uncomfortable on certain tracks (see previous posts for details). Again, to reiterate, I think I have an unusual sensitivity in this range, and I suspect it may dampen down following more burn-in. So others need not worry unnecessarily! I'm persisting because these are outstanding IEM's.
Lots of new details being revealed in familiar songs, terrific low end too! I'm fairly sure I'm going to tweak something or hit a burn-in milestone and suddenly everything's going to fall into place :D

It seems to occur most on tracks which have a lot of cymbals/high hats, high vocals or guitar notes and/or 'wall of sound' guitars and/or a lot of instruments playing loudly simultaneously.
The more of these present in a song, the more discomfort I seem to feel.
I have no idea about ear health, but maybe I've just got a minor infection or something? Hard to say..

Just wonder if you (or anyone else) has any suggestions as to which tips might be best for me?
There are no Kombi tips included to my knowledge, but I could order some if they're in stock?
I like the fit, isolation and comfort provided by memory foam tips.
Once I tried Comply's (about 2 years ago), I never went back to anything else.
But I'm aware the market has moved on since then and there may be good/better alternatives now.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #8,346 of 24,683
Like the guys explained above, the PM4 uses the Delta styled filters.

I personally thought the manual was a very nice touch. But it 51 and even with reading glasses it's too small I have to use the magnify function on my iPhone.
Getting old sucks

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #8,347 of 24,683
  Ugh so I think my ears really are ****ed. I use a Fiio X3 ii and just even with these headphones. The black + damp my ears just hurt when I listen to a really shredding solo, the high pitch frequencies kill my ears, also when there is a lot of I guess mid range driven guitar it's not nice on my ears. Sorta muddied and distorted. Maybe I will have to get an amp with my X3 or try a different player as maybe it's too bright for me. Less agressive music sounds so lush though. Vocals sound so good, so cliche but I heard stuff I hadn't heard before! Loving the construction, design and everything else about the headphones.

So I'm having similar issues. I use a Fiio X3 ii without an amp as well but I'm not really listening to metal - mainly orchestral film scores at the moment. Sometimes, especially on quieter sections the PMs sound beautiful but all too often I hear really harsh distortion/ringing in the treble, basically whenever the orchestra gets a bit busier or the violins and trumpets are getting excited! I've tested all the filters and none remove the issue. It's frustrating because I'm reading all these comments about how blown away people are by these headphones but for me, they have actually become unlistenable. I have returned to my sabres for the time being where the issue isn't present at all. I'm no where near an expert when it comes to headphones so really wondering similar things as above poster. Is it a power thing? Do I need an amp with these? Could I just have a faulty pair? Are these just completely unsuited for orchestral music? I've probably run music through them for around 30-40 hours now too, just in case burning them in helped but it didn't. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Ta.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #8,348 of 24,683

So I'm having similar issues. I use a Fiio X3 ii without an amp as well but I'm not really listening to metal - mainly orchestral film scores at the moment. Sometimes, especially on quieter sections the PMs sound beautiful but all too often I hear really harsh distortion/ringing in the treble, basically whenever the orchestra gets a bit busier or the violins and trumpets are getting excited! I've tested all the filters and none remove the issue. It's frustrating because I'm reading all these comments about how blown away people are by these headphones but for me, they have actually become unlistenable. I have returned to my sabres for the time being where the issue isn't present at all. I'm no where near an expert when it comes to headphones so really wondering similar things as above poster. Is it a power thing? Do I need an amp with these? Could I just have a faulty pair? Are these just completely unsuited for orchestral music? I've probably run music through them for around 30-40 hours now too, just in case burning them in helped but it didn't. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Ta.

WOW! I've posted this issue on many forums and times here but never had a reply. So at least 1 other person understands me!!! I thought my ears were just messed up from all the gigs I've been to. Sorry to get off topic but yeah I'm struggling to really understand the amazingness of these earphones just like so many other pairs I have tested before. I can understand with the music you listen to the issues you are getting, you describe the exact same type of experiences as me, busyness and some high pitch tones just hurt the ears. I have to lower the the bands from halfway to the far right on the equaliser to help cope but it's still noticeable. I used to use Senn IE80 and just come from RHA 10i.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #8,349 of 24,683
I have a box of unopened M and a box of unopened S Trinity Kombi tips from the KS Bluetooth lanyard package - anyone in the UK fancy trading for some L or ML Spiral Dots tips they don't need? Send me a PM if you are keen - UK or EU will definitely be easiest as I'm UK based.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #8,351 of 24,683
  Am trying to stick with the gunmetal damped filters and memory foam tips for the first couple of weeks (or until 20-50 hours of burn-in have occurred).  The idea being I then have a known benchmark to compare other filters and tips against. 

Having said that, I'm still finding the treble too sharp and uncomfortable on certain tracks (see previous posts for details). Again, to reiterate, I think I have an unusual sensitivity in this range, and I suspect it may dampen down following more burn-in. So others need not worry unnecessarily! I'm persisting because these are outstanding IEM's.
Lots of new details being revealed in familiar songs, terrific low end too! I'm fairly sure I'm going to tweak something or hit a burn-in milestone and suddenly everything's going to fall into place :D

It seems to occur most on tracks which have a lot of cymbals/high hats, high vocals or guitar notes and/or 'wall of sound' guitars and/or a lot of instruments playing loudly simultaneously.
I have no idea about ear health, but maybe I've just got a minor infection or something? Hard to say..

Just wonder if you (or anyone else) has any suggestions as to which tips might be best for me?
There are no Kombi tips included to my knowledge, but I could order some if they're in stock?
But I'm aware the market has moved on since then and there may be good/better alternatives now.

Getting exact same problem. Trying V with dampers atm to get a leve also. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #8,352 of 24,683
Building block stack, cemented with PM4, gunmetal filters.

Fiio X7 > Cayin C5

The renowned soundstage that the C5 provides improves upon a more than adequate PM4.
In search of taming the highs that, at one point, didn't seem to aggravate (current Grado end user) the C5 mildly alleviates.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #8,353 of 24,683

WOW! I've posted this issue on many forums and times here but never had a reply. So at least 1 other person understands me!!! I thought my ears were just messed up from all the gigs I've been to. Sorry to get off topic but yeah I'm struggling to really understand the amazingness of these earphones just like so many other pairs I have tested before. I can understand with the music you listen to the issues you are getting, you describe the exact same type of experiences as me, busyness and some high pitch tones just hurt the ears. I have to lower the the bands from halfway to the far right on the equaliser to help cope but it's still noticeable. I used to use Senn IE80 and just come from RHA 10i.

The PM4 really didn't bloom for me either till I added 75ohm to them then they made sense. Does seem they need juice and may be quite picky with sources w/o amping. I found the transparency wasn't there, they were a bit constrained/dampened sounding, trouble with brightness esp. at higher volume and the bass wasn't as low reaching, dynamic, or separated as it should/could be and a nice bit of their detail was lost.  With it's driver set up I am not surprised to see some issues. A tough combo to get right in the first place and then to work consistent with all sorts of the gear that is out there wasn't gonna happen. I think it is in there to get out but some will have to tweak it out for their gear.

I like to grab and go half the time and would hate to have the PM4 sound so much less than it can which is where the impedance comes in to help. Nice to have them perform well all the time than be more limited.

Get some Ostry tuning tips. Sounds like you may only need the OS100(the blue I think) but you can get all three types. I confirm they fit on the PM4 nozzle as some with huge nozzles don't fit cause the filter inside takes up room and large nozzles have trouble keeping the S and M sizes on them.

So, anybody still want longer filters??? I was just thinking that a slightly longer filter might be nice :) That said I, am fine with the fit and I was one that said the new design would work both ways up over and straight down. Buuut, they nailed it beyond my expectations. Just and little turn and wear them straight down with and good fit and surprisingly low microphonics. Over ear is just twisting up a quarter turn for me. No flipping, swapping or any such thing needed unless you are using the memory wire cable.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,354 of 24,683
Getting exact same problem. Trying V with dampers atm to get a leve also. 

The Kombi tips do take the edge off the sharpness a little for me - damped gunmetal with Spinfit was good, but swapping to Kombi makes it sound a little bassier and too muffled to be perfect now so may switch back to undamped gold with the Kombis to Dr if that's the sweet spot for my personal preferences.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8,355 of 24,683
I take it back regarding the not enough bass comment. The problem was POWER. It appears the PM4 doesn't really shine until you supply some juice to them. I had been using them with my LG v20 in "normal" mode, which is a lower gain. For grins I decided to trick it into "High Impedance Mode" and try the PM4 again.

All of a sudden... BOOOOOOM. There's the bass I had been looking for! Also, now I can understand why people were saying the silver undampened could get a little boomy. Now I'm excited to try the gunmetal or gold again.

Based on this new finding, and the info @jant71 just shared, I'm starting to wonder if the issue is that the push/pull DD isn't quite as sensitive as the BAs. So even though they're low impedance headphones, it's not until you juice the source that the DD really starts moving. 

Bottom Line, if you're unhappy with the bass, or think the PM4 is feeling a little "hot" in the treble, find a more powerful source and try again. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back