TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Sep 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #5,971 of 24,683
Hi all

Sorry - I know some people are impatient for some information. Hopefully this will help some of you.

Please note

1. This is not a review (reasons why below)
  2. Impressions are after 2.5 days with them, and because of some issues, total listening time is only about 6-7 hours
  3. Measurements (graphs) are taken with my Veritas set-up. My usual disclaimer applies -
  4. The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

5. The sample I have for evaluation is one of the pair used during the UK show (I think Vince will get the other one). It is just a prototype, so it has been repeatedly pulled apart, reset, plugged, unplugged, etc, etc. It's not perfect.
  6. When they arrived – the right side had an obvious imbalance – vocals appeared to be panning right. When I measured them, the bass is off slightly on the right side (which of course makes vocals more prominent).
  7. The left side socket is very loose – so much so that its difficult to maintain a solid connection a lot of the time, and the audio is either weak, or cuts out. I've managed to jury rig a solution but it means I can't be swapping filters in and out – because every time I do that I have to reset again.
  8. I've managed to get an almost perfect match (good enough for evaluation anyway) by using a gunmetal filter on the right side and gold damped on the left (you'll see the graphs shortly).
  9. It took me 3 hours just to get the measurements – and this pair is not good enough to complete a review in their current condition.

What you also need to know

1. Bob wanted me to post this warts and all – he believes in hiding nothing
  2. Please do not comment with something like “if this is the way the quality is, it's disappointing”. This is a prototype – it will be nothing like the end quality.
  3. We've already talked about a couple of ideas to fix some of the potential issues (like the cable connections – and as usual, Bob was way ahead of me with ideas. Its interesting that we both had similar ideas, but different implementation. Both of us talking about longer pins, and Bob has said that there will be a solution before they go to production

So without further ado – here's what arrived.

Kombi Tips
If you haven't used them before and use silicone – consider getting some. Similar shape to the Sony Hybrid/Sony Isolation, layer of foam inside. What you get is the durability of silicone, and the fit of foam. They are brilliant.

[size=inherit][/size]
New pack Kombi tips (these are large)
the large tips
3 size options

The IEM stands (you'll see them in the photos). I'll use these a lot I think.
They don't come as part of the Hunter package - Bob had some spare so he sent some with the package. I think they are cool.

Hunter on stand - face on
Hunter on stand - side view

The Vyrus (topic for another day – I will be reviewing)

2 sets of cables for the Hunter – standard Trinity Braid and standard braid with moldable ear hooks. I have no idea what cables will be in the final version.

Filters – both damped and undamped as follows:

Purple damped / undamped
Gold damped / undamped
Gun metal damped
Silver damped / undamped

[size=inherit][/size]
All filters
Gold and purple
Gun-metal and silver

Bob also said that the filters had probably been mixed up during the show (they are usually matched really well). Again - these are prototypes, and I know when finals come – the differences between filters will be more uniform, and same filters will be closely matched.

The damped and undamped filter graphs are shown below. These are all from the left earpiece which does not have the driver issues.

Undamped
Damped

Here is the graph for current left vs right with the gold damped filters, and also the graph for the set I'm using now for evaluation – left ear gold damped, and right ear gun-metal damped. It works pretty well.

Imbalance (unfortunately)
Filter combo I'm using to fix

Next is a series of photos of the Hunter prototype. Sorry – this time you won't get a commentary on dimensions (its almost 1am – and my current workload hasn't abated – so its an early start for me tomorrow + my daughter's birthday, and I know which is more important). If I get time I'll go over them in the weekend.

[size=inherit][/size]
Cables and filters removed
Cable connector and socket
Filter/nozzle attached

[size=inherit][/size]
Inside face nicely bevelled and rounded
Good angle on the nozzle
Side view to show what they would be like when worn

[size=inherit][/size]
Better view of the nozzle
With Kombi tips
Not an overly shallow fit - thumbs up!

As far as fit goes – really comfortable. Here's my exact comment to Bob:

As far as comfort and fit goes goes, I think they're great - just like the Sabres - they practically disappear. Your Kombi tips are giving me a great seal, and IMO were made for these.

Really comfortable shape and fit
And easy to lie down with

My other comments on sound signature / sound quality:

I think you already know my opinion on the signature:
  • Enough sub-bass for mild rumble, but not over-done
  • Mid-bass with this combo (equivalent gold damped) is close to the HD600 - when the filters are right and matched, I might go one level flatter, but these sound great as they are.
  • Normal Trinity mild V
  • Lower mid to upper mid-transition is good for my preferences
  • **I do need to try the undamped before I post anything** - but I wouldn't change your damped. The thing I love is that there is a lot of detail, but no sibilance - you matched the lower treble just right.
  • If I was nitpicking, I'd bring the lower mids up a touch and the upper mids down a touch - just to lend male vocals a bit more weight, but TBH thats not your house sound - and if you did, you'd possibly lose some of the perception of sound staging. It's probably my only critique - male vocals are just a little lean. Female vocals are incredible though - so its a trade off.
  • Your bass texture and speed is really good - how did you do that with a dynamic?

Overall Bob - its good .... its really good.

I've been swapping back and forth with the Sirius, I'd take the Hunter all day for comfort and fit. Sirius has the slight edge with Male vocals at the moment. Hunter for everything else.

I wouldn't plan on modifying the tuning yet - I'd like to hear a properly balanced set with all filters first + I'd like to hear Vince's opinion too.

And thats it from me. I'll try and answer specific questions over the next couple of days.

Summary

1. Despite the issues, these sound really good
  2. They are Trinity house sound – but refined
  3. Really good resolution
  4. I can't wait to try a final pair

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #5,972 of 24,683
Thanks Brooko.
Judging from the graphs and your assertion of the V-Shape, I do feel that these are about as Trinity as it gets. That peak @3.5kHz with the undamped filters needs some fixing, I reckon.
Generally move the sound from V-Shape to a U-Shape, maybe? Bass seems good. Looks like Bob does hate 6kHz freq. The undamped graph reminds me of the A83 from Fidue.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #5,975 of 24,683
Dampened filters would probably have my preference; smooths out the peaks up high rather well it seems. Bass looks craze; curious how they'd measure when hooked up to a pulse generator.

On the topic of filters, will my PM4's come with dampened ones? The website suggests so, since there are 5 pairs of filters included of the same length, and on the photo 2 pairs have the same colour. I could be wrong though. EDIT: especially because there are 6 pairs of filters on the photo...

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #5,976 of 24,683
  Dampened filters would probably have my preference; smooths out the peaks up high rather well it seems. Bass looks craze; curious how they'd measure when hooked up to a pulse generator.

On the topic of filters, will my PM4's come with dampened ones? The website suggests so, since there are 5 pairs of filters included of the same length, and on the photo 2 pairs have the same colour. I could be wrong though. EDIT: especially because there are 6 pairs of filters on the photo...

Same filters as Hunter/Vyrus and Delta, so 7 pairs in damped and un-damped versions

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #5,979 of 24,683
@Brooko Thanks for this first (p)review, can't wait you get your hands on the Master 4 as well.
Get a good night sleep and congratulations with your daughters birthday already, please try to forget us crying for more impressions and comparisons with god knows what, use your time to celebrate with your girl, they get old too fast too soon....

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #5,980 of 24,683

Same filters as Hunter/Vyrus and Delta, so 7 pairs in damped and un-damped versions

Sorry for being dense about this.  Are you saying the package for the Master 4 will include 7 different colors, each color being damped and undamped (so 14 pairs in total) but then also in long and short for a total of 28 pairs?  That would be insane!

Or is it 3 colors (purple, silver, gold) in damped and undamped (6 pairs) plus gunmetal undamped for a total of 7 pairs?  And will we be getting long and short filters?  I vaguely recall that you were going to start shipping with both lengths, but that may have only been with one or two specific models.

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #5,981 of 24,683
  Sorry for being dense about this.  Are you saying the package for the Master 4 will include 7 different colors, each color being damped and undamped (so 14 pairs in total) but then also in long and short for a total of 28 pairs?  That would be insane!

Or is it 3 colors (purple, silver, gold) in damped and undamped (6 pairs) plus gunmetal undamped for a total of 7 pairs?  And will we be getting long and short filters?  I vaguely recall that you were going to start shipping with both lengths, but that may have only been with one or two specific models.

As far as I know, the package will include 7 short pairs and 7 long, each size including damped and undamped filters.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #5,982 of 24,683
Bobtrinity the more I observe, the more I feel that your DNA is similar to that of a certain OCD sports car manufacturer from good 'ol England. Well, partly because I'm part of that said company and loving it. Can't imagine getting me hands on the Hunter someday. The McLaren of the audio gear world. What do you say to that? :D

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #5,983 of 24,683
@Bobtrinity the more I observe, the more I feel that your DNA is similar to that of a certain OCD sports car manufacturer from good 'ol England. Well, partly because I'm part of that said company and loving it. Can't imagine getting me hands on the Hunter someday. The McLaren of the audio gear world. What do you say to that?
biggrin.gif

Is Bob based in Woking as well? Wouldn't be able to get much closer than that
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #5,984 of 24,683

Sorry - just short replies, due back at work very shortly

Quote:
  @Brooko Great overview! 
How does the soundstage compare to the Fidue Sirius?

Sirius is slightly wider and deeper - but remember I have only been able to compare with gold damped filters so far.  I'll report back if I can get the undamped to match (haven't tried that yet).  Sirius is a little more vibrant in the vocals. Filters can change things quite a bit (perception of stage) so its pretty hard t say after less than 3 days.

How does it compare with dunu 2000J?

I'll do that comparison for you in the next 24 hours.

As far as I know, the package will include 7 short pairs and 7 long, each size including damped and undamped filters.

If I have it correct - you'll get 7 pairs of filters in total.  Exactly same as Delta2:
2 pr gold (1 damped and 1 undamped)
2 pr purple (1 damped and 1 undamped)
2 pr silver (1 damped and 1 undamped)
1 pr gun-metal (damped)

More soon.  Out for dinner tonight (with Em and family).  If we're not too late I'll answer more questions then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back