TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jul 17, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #4,159 of 24,683
I totally love the new design for the PM6, but as a consumer this worries me. The new shell must produce a different sound than what the old design would've sounded like. Did Trinity abandon the old sound I.E.sacrifice sound for cosmetic? or does this new design improve the sound in some way?

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,160 of 24,683
I totally love the new design for the PM6, but as a consumer this worries me. The new shell must produce a different sound than what the old design would've sounded like. Did Trinity abandon the old sound I.E.sacrifice sound for cosmetic? or does this new design improve the sound in some way?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/4110#post_12724414

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #4,161 of 24,683
Why would you assume the sound would necessarily change? 

But, better question - how would we ever know? No one has heard a production M6, Bob and possibly Hisoundfi (as far as I've gathered) are the only ones who have properly heard the previous prototype considering the pair Brooko got had a side die on him very quickly, and I believe they all agreed on changes to the sound after that point anyway. 

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #4,163 of 24,683

In their past posts on the subject, they made it sound like the shell change was due to a size issue. It's quite likely that the previous design didn't have enough room to both accommodate 6 drivers and give a quality sound. This is probably why most 6+ driver iems end up adopting a similar shape.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #4,164 of 24,683
In their past posts on the subject, they made it sound like the shell change was due to a size issue. It's quite likely that the previous design didn't have enough room to both accommodate 6 drivers and give a quality sound. This is probably why most 6+ driver iems end up adopting a similar shape.

didnt have enough room? The previous design was quite bulky, its quite obvious that they trimmed the fat. How can you have more room now in less space?

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #4,165 of 24,683
  didnt have enough room? The previous design was quite bulky, its quite obvious that they trimmed the fat. How can you have more room now in less space?

Perhaps the previous design had the bulk of the components quite close to the ear in the Sabre shape and that causes fit issues due to the size needed. So now they extended the nozzle bit out so that the immediate bit that goes into the ear isn't quite as bulky. In any case, you'll hardly find a company that makes a large design change so late in the development stage without good reason. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #4,166 of 24,683
Perhaps the previous design had the bulk of the components quite close to the ear in the Sabre shape and that causes fit issues due to the size needed. So now they extended the nozzle bit out so that the immediate bit that goes into the ear isn't quite as bulky. In any case, you'll hardly find a company that makes a large design change so late in the development stage without good reason. 

I'm all for a better fit, I would just like to know if their were any trade offs, as it stands now were just paying for the components. No one but Bob and his team knows how much better/worst it sounds with the redesign.closer the pm4 or closer to the hunter?

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #4,167 of 24,683
Just double checking since some things have changed, should the reviews be out before preorder pricing ends? Really trying to see the difference between PM4 & 6 since the PM6 retail price is waaayyyy higher than anything I'll be getting soon/ever and I don't want to miss the chance. Even the discount price is seriously stretching it lol.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #4,168 of 24,683
The first version Master 6 was quite large and for many would have had fit issues, we redesigned to a smaller size but same shape but this changed the ss and so we have redesigned again so we get the original ss we wanted but in this new shape we get the fit and the ss we was after.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #4,169 of 24,683
  My guess would be that the inside still looks very similar to the inside of the Sabres. I don't think they looked like there were any sharp edges, it's pretty rounded from the pics I've seen.

You're right, pre production shell is slightly rounded, but not as much as Sabre. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/lightbox/post/12614138/id/1643309
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/lightbox/post/12614138/id/1643310

Users who are viewing this thread

Back