TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #12,707 of 24,683
  Sonion are better than Knowles.  The Hunter uses the Sonion but I'm not sure what the PM6 is using.

Knowles vs. Sonions.  Don't know if you can say one is better than the other. Many models and sub models. Only a/b tests can truly provide a clear picture which sounds better. 

https://cymbacavum.com/2014/03/26/sonions-acupass-technology-making-things-easier-for-everyone/

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #12,709 of 24,683
Bob always said in his videos and posts that Trinity didn't use either Knowles or Sonion, but retuned other BAs specific for them. Not off the shelf units.

Yeah l remember he mentioned that. This is from the article and as far as l know majority of brands use Knowles or Sonion:

In the world of premium earphones, while many manufacturers around the world are able to design and manufacture dynamic, moving coil transducers, the supply of balanced armature technology to earphone manufacturers around the world is essentially a two-horse race between the US-based Knowles Electronics and Netherlands’ Sonion SA.Out of these two companies, Knowles has always held the market lead. With a long history in microelectronics manufacture, they’ve managed, in recent years, to capture a good portion of the premium audio market with their miniature dual driver design, the TWFK.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #12,711 of 24,683
Bob always said in his videos and posts that Trinity didn't use either Knowles or Sonion, but retuned other BAs specific for them. Not off the shelf units.

Not true.  Here's a post he made where he states they used Sonion.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/796729/trinity-phantom-series-new-thread-worlds-first-push-pull-hybrid-iem/5415#post_12815057

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #12,713 of 24,683

Sorry very incorrect. Research more older posts. They do use Sonion. The PM6 does for sure. It's one of the reasons I ordered it as I verified that before ordering.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #12,714 of 24,683
I can try and dig up the posts if you want.  The PM6 and Hunter use the same Sonion drivers.  The PM6 just has one extra DD in push pull.  There were a lot of us with Hunters that had a bit of confusion and regret when we found out since originally we were under the impression the Hunters were supposed to use better drivers.  

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #12,715 of 24,683
  I can try and dig up the posts if you want.  The PM6 and Hunter use the same Sonion drivers.  The PM6 just has one extra DD in push pull.  There were a lot of us with Hunters that had a bit of confusion and regret when we found out since originally we were under the impression the Hunters were supposed to use better drivers.  

Or maybe since they kept changing constantly and improving it was changed?  

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #12,717 of 24,683

Or maybe since they kept changing constantly and improving it was changed?  

Yeah, that was the complaint.  The PM6 kept improving but the Hunter stayed the same.  Bob assured us the Hunter is still a slight step up due to the chamber vectoring system, despite similar tuning and having one less driver.  There is a possibility I'm wrong but that is the impression several of us had.  I'd love to be proven wrong on this actually since it is one of the things that started my frustration with being stuck with the Hunter or face the 30% fee.    

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #12,718 of 24,683
  Yeah, that was the complaint.  The PM6 kept improving but the Hunter stayed the same.  Bob assured us the Hunter is still a slight step up due to the chamber vectoring system, despite similar tuning and having one less driver.  There is a possibility I'm wrong but that is the impression several of us had.  I'd love to be proven wrong on this actually since it is one of the things that started my frustration with being stuck with the Hunter or face the 30% fee.    

A direct comparison with frequency graphs using the most neutural filters will probably shed some light

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #12,720 of 24,683
Even if they didn't have the fee I would have stuck with the hunter just on the shell design alone. Never really liked the campfire audio look they went with on the pm6.

And those cables! For me it was more an issue that I made my decision to switch to the Hunter based on certain specifications, which then kept changing.  Then I started to question my decision AGAIN.  I realize the changes were done with good intentions, but things need to be fully thought out beforehand, then you don't need to confuse the heck out of your customer base and fuel regret.  And yeah we seriously need some graphs.  Does Bob tune by ear?  That is kind of worrisome if that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back