TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 29, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #17,762 of 24,683
Pretty much what i figured and touched upon in my posts awhile back. Be's are amazing and that low end is exactly that. I don't think anything will be replacing my Be's for a very long time. Guess the Pm6s will go up on the market place when i get mine.

I have a feeling the Icarus IV will be what most people were expecting the PM6's to be...

May 29, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #17,765 of 24,683
After reading about you guys modding tips, I tried putting the kombi foam into the spin fits. Not for me, cant really get a proper seal.

However, I put the kombi foam into the trinity double flange (only in the smaller bit for now, will try with both later) and it's perfect! The seal is great, and I swear it improved isolation a bit, something I wasn't very happy with.

Try a much smaller spinfit than usual, I had to go down 2 sizes with the Sabre (long filters) to get the Spin Fits to seal right with foam inserted. Isolation is now superb.

I now like the Sabre enough that I am canceling my Atlas-Delta since the Master doesn't sound like something I would like. Hopefully the Icarus III will be an upgrade.

May 29, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #17,766 of 24,683
Why? I feel they are what I expected. for the little I read bob always described them as more analytical and neutral.

From reading some impressions, I imagine people were expecting them to be less so than they truly are. I imagine some other people jumped on the whole Trinity bandwagon because of the special pricing, expecting them to be something they're not. All in all, anyone who doesn't like the PM6 sound might find solace in the Icarus IV I guess.

May 29, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #17,768 of 24,683
It is a bit like saying, I bought a planar but I expected a cheap beats/monster .... :)

I was going for a polite way of saying this, yes. :k701smile: Trinity had some really nice pricing for someone wanting to jump on the mid-fi/Hi-fi market. Maybe some people were expecting too much (Or too little) from these. :wink: I personally can't wait to get any of them at this point, as my Westone W3's are making my ears bleed.

May 29, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #17,769 of 24,683
It is a bit like saying, I bought a planar but I expected a cheap beats/monster .... :)
I know with the Hunters if you don't like a bright sound you're not going to like it. I have the VE Duke which is know to be extremely bright and detailed but it doesn't hold a candle to the Hunters. Plus most people who have reported in on the Hunters have said most filters with very few exceptions have sibilance which I found to be true as well. I enjoyed them as long as I wasn't listening to female vocals. I could only handle them for about 10 minutes with female vocals.

May 29, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #17,770 of 24,683
sibilance is also an issue with most filters on the pm6.
My test is not female voices but the queen, the real band, and specifically killer queen. Even the periodic be fail on them. I gave up on iem to pass that test (or maybe is because after planar, life is difficult in mid and highs :) )

May 29, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #17,771 of 24,683
sibilance is also an issue with most filters on the pm6.
My test is not female voices but the queen, the real band, and specifically killer queen. Even the periodic be fail on them. I gave up on iem to pass that test (or maybe is because after planar, life is difficult in mid and highs :) )

Hopefully the Hunter and PM6 will have less sibilance after some burn in.

I don't understand why anyone would make an earphone with sibilance... Maybe some of us hear it more than others?

Surprised that the Periodic Be have any sibilance, as they are supposed to be very warm sounding iems with smooth highs from what I've read....

May 29, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #17,772 of 24,683
I was going for a polite way of saying this, yes. :k701smile: Trinity had some really nice pricing for someone wanting to jump on the mid-fi/Hi-fi market. Maybe some people were expecting too much (Or too little) from these. :wink: I personally can't wait to get any of them at this point, as my Westone W3's are making my ears bleed.

W3 were the biggest rip off. Bloated mess. Pure crap. Cant believe paid over $300 back in the day. Westone will never get a penny from me again.

May 29, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #17,773 of 24,683
I decided to put the red filters one and gave a shot at some more test pieces.

Bubble and In the distance by Horokawa. - oh man a joy. Just close your eyes
Massive attack, a few - pm6 performed much better than I expected on both lows and highs. also on vocals.
Beverly Hlls cops theme - very enjoyable
Bright lights bigger city - need to try blue filters a slow got somewhat distorted, not the best of results.
Take the power back by Rage vs machines - after the one above I was expecting distorted lows, not at all.

Call it placebo effect but burning the master6 seems to have an effect.

May 29, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #17,774 of 24,683
From my understanding burn-in will likely only affect the DD not BA. I suspect the higher frequencies are more a result of the BA than DD.

Foam tips should help with upper frequency harshness and brightness. I would think it would tame the siblance.

Brooko pointed out siblance had more to due with the track than the IEM. I guess the problem with sibilant tracks is magnified if an IEM has peak in the higher frequencies that will "exaggerate" the issue in the recording.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #17,775 of 24,683
W3 were the biggest rip off. Bloated mess. Pure crap. Cant believe paid over $300 back in the day. Westone will never get a penny from me again.

Got them used and had them modded... They're not worth the price indeed. But they weren't bad for the time I've owned them. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back