TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 23, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #17,373 of 24,683
Hey, I'm no expert, but this seems a slightly risky approach to me.
*for the purposes of this reply*, we are presumably working on the assumption that 'burn in' physically changes the sound signature.
I haven't heard of it increasing volume. That's not to say that it won't, but I've personally never heard of that. Other more experienced people can chime in if they have.

We don't know what the issue with your Hunter is. It could be a connector pin or cable issue, or even something to do with the termination or even your DAP's connector socket/hardware.
If it turns out to be anything *other* than an IEM issue, then you may have yourself an assymetrical sounding set of IEM's afterwards.
Personally, I'd burn both sides in equally and see what happens.
Of course, if burn in really has no real effect, then none of this will matter :p
It is definitely not a cable or filter issue. If the problem is the connector on the unit, then the only solution is to send it back to Trinity for repair. Some drivers need to work over a time to open up the sound, and I am a believer of such burning in, having come from a background of room HiFi systems. I am just trying every way to see if I can solve the problem myself without having to send it back.

May 23, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #17,374 of 24,683
It is definitely not a cable or filter issue. If the problem is the connector on the unit, then the only solution is to send it back to Trinity for repair. Some drivers need to work over a time to open up the sound, and I am a believer of such burning in, having come from a background of room HiFi systems. I am just trying every way to see if I can solve the problem myself without having to send it back.

Oh, I would say I believe in it too. I'm sure I've noticed improvements in IEM's after 50-200 hours, even when I didn't listen (or listen much) in between.
When I'm rolling in the benjamins, I'm going to buy identical IEM's and burn one in for 200 hours, leave the second ones unopened in their box, and then listen to them both at the same time, A/B blind testing them against each other once the 200 hours has passed.

In this way I'll hopefully be able to definitely prove it once and for all, to myself at least, if not to teh intarwebs :wink:

In the interests of fairness, I'll try to remember to unwrap the second pair when doing the A/B testing :p

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #17,375 of 24,683
Oh, I would say I believe in it too. I'm sure I've noticed improvements in IEM's after 50-200 hours, even when I didn't listen (or listen much) in between.
When I'm rolling in the benjamins, I'm going to buy identical IEM's and burn one in for 200 hours, leave the second ones unopened in their box, and then listen to them both at the same time, A/B blind testing them against each other once the 200 hours has passed.

In this way, I'll hopefully be able to definitely prove it once and for all, to myself if not teh intarwebs :wink:

In the interests of fairness, I'll try to remember to unwrap the second pair when doing the A/B testing :p
As long as source is same DAP and both at same volume. Yeah you should be fairly accurate as long they are exact same setup. :) good luck when you get the chance

May 23, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #17,376 of 24,683
As long as source is same DAP and both at same volume. Yeah you should be fairly accurate as long they are exact same setup. :) good luck when you get the chance
Cheers. I surely can't be the only Head-Fi'er to think of this.
There must be people who've already tried it. Maybe even made live videos of the testing..
I heard there were people with 2 or more Vyrus, or Master etc. Someone should take one for the team :D

May 23, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #17,377 of 24,683

In this way I'll hopefully be able to definitely prove it once and for all, to myself at least, if not to teh intarwebs :wink:

I can only say my experience with new floor standing speakers. The Wilson Benesch Discovery that I once own new took at least 3 months to sound more relaxed in the bass department. It's got an isobaric driver. Good luck in your test.

May 23, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #17,378 of 24,683

And even then, you'd only be able to definitively say that for yourself for that specific IEM. May not have the same impact on another set of IEMs. You're gonna have to buy two every time you get a new IEM...you know, for comparison's sake :D

May 23, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #17,380 of 24,683
So you're being impatiently patient? You gotta pick one man! Lol.

@Karendar, were you the one who suggested Monster gel tips? Looks like someone followed your advice :smiley:

Mine's approaching that. Ordered a Hunter June 10, 2016. I keep hoping that I get an email update on the order, but no dice. I swear they're working backwards, newer orders first, older orders later. Sure hope that ain't the case.

I still have a bunch of gel and foam supertips in smaller sizes I'm not using. :wink: But I'm still waiting for my own orders. Gave the Master to the person who ordered it today...

May 23, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #17,381 of 24,683
I still have a bunch of gel and foam supertips in smaller sizes I'm not using. :wink: But I'm still waiting for my own orders. Gave the Master to the person who ordered it today...
I'm still waiting for my order too. Considering emailing this new Kiernan person at the end of the week to see if I can get any sort of update on my order. There comes a time when all customer service needs to be tested.....:neutral_face:

May 23, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #17,382 of 24,683
For those of you that already received your Hunters are you not getting any sibilance? Man female vocals are killing me. I've tried every source I have and can't tame it. The only filter I can somewhat tolerate is the silver damped.

May 23, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #17,383 of 24,683
I'm still waiting for my order too. Considering emailing this new Kiernan person at the end of the week to see if I can get any sort of update on my order. There comes a time when all customer service needs to be tested.....:neutral_face:

Good luck! I sent this person an e-mail that would have been received Monday morning, GMT, and have heard nothing back. I assume there are those in the US who have received their Hunter. Have not seen anyone post yet.

May 23, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #17,384 of 24,683

There must be something to this idea as I was instructed to burn in my present speaker cables for a minimum of 700 hours.

May 23, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #17,385 of 24,683
For those of you that already received your Hunters are you not getting any sibilance? Man female vocals are killing me. I've tried every source I have and can't tame it. The only filter I can somewhat tolerate is the silver damped.

I'm not getting any sibilance personally... then again my sources don't tend to give me that problem.... Using the red filters that have the black damper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back