TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,381 of 1,582
I had brainwavz R3 and I LOVED them. I lost them on a plane and never got them back. :/ They were discontinued by then.

FWIW Brainwavz are building and selling them again on their online store. I still think they're great for solo voice or acoustic music (Oliver Schroer's 'Camino' album for Instance) but the Icarus III is much more of an all-rounder so it's better suited to all of my musical tastes... plus the last time I wore the R3 to a training session for work the instructor laughed and said I looked like Frankenstein's monster :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #1,382 of 1,582
FWIW Brainwavz are building and selling them again on their online store. I still think they're great for solo voice or acoustic music (Oliver Schroer's 'Camino' album for Instance) but the Icarus III is much more of an all-rounder so it's better suited to all of my musical tastes... plus the last time I wore the R3 to a training session for work the instructor laughed and said I looked like Frankenstein's monster :frowning2:

I got confused, was the R1. :wink: Oh well... I've moved on.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #1,384 of 1,582
I really enjoyed my Shure se215 before I got the I3. They're a decent sub $100 IEM for sure. Very comfortable for me too. However, I'm not going back. Those will be used for lawn mowing. The I3 (with Green filter and Memory Foam Tips) is just music to my ears. Have you experimented enough with tips and filters?
Not yet. That's why I'm still not sure, but I just want to know my alternatives. I still haven't experimented with other filters cos of threading issue and still waiting for the replacement pair.

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,387 of 1,582
Pm4
I can't. Fitting would be terrible because I have small ears. Even the Icarus III sticks out off my ears. :sweat_smile:

Phantom Master4 then. Many people dislike theirs, but the PM4 is quite similar to the Master. Less cohesive but wider sound stage. It is unclear whether it has an extra BA driver over the Master. But the upper treble can be sensitive for some. The pins in the detachable cable need to be physically widened every couple months when one of them will start cutting out. A design flaw in the early products but it's manageable with a pen or screwdriver, just slightly annoying. I still use mine for mobile

Sep 9, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,389 of 1,582
The I3 stick out of everyone's ears. They aren't stealth monitors by any means.

I understand feeling sour after a poor buying experience, but I have to suggest you wait for your new set and experiment with tips and filters. Initially, tbh, I was skeptical of the idea. But after putting in some time swapping filters I was honestly shocked at how much a difference they made. Even now when I see someone post about loving the Blue filters I'm like: what? :) Some of mine took a few tries to thread properly too; so it's not like I was all plug and play either. You can absolutely tailor the I3 to the sound signature you prefer though. Tweaking your source EQ might be in order as well. The I3 are capable of a great, customizable, sound experience.

If, after that, you still don't dig them, there are thousands of "What's the best under $$$" threads to read through" :wink:

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #1,393 of 1,582
IMG_20170911_111726.JPG Any Master 6 owners here? What's your preferred filters?

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #1,394 of 1,582
Received my black PM6 yesterday after ordering last July. They sound incredible with the green filters and foam tips. Have them plugged into a Cowan Plenue P1 with no EQ turned on, and am listening to a combination of lossless CD and HD Tracks High Def downloads. So far I've tried Jazz, Classical, Rock, Accoustic, and Country music.

It took me a bit to figure out how to best insert them in my ears (which are on the small side), but once in position they are super comfy. The bass digs deeply - tight and precise, mids are well balanced if a bit forward and the highs have nice extension and decay. Cymbal work stands out in particular - both sticks and brushes for the additional micro details on the attack and sound decay. Wood winds are also something special due to the way these earphones are able to capture changes in intensity as the player draws breath or blows extra hard.

Air around the instruments, spatial placement and imaging are also very good. Not just for an IEM, but including consideration of headphones I've heard (I have been carrying around Sennheiser Momentum's for portable use but have auditioned a number of high end sets too). That said, both air and imaging as well as bass performance are highly tip and fit dependent.

Like many on the forum, I've waited a long time for these (and am still waiting for the Hunter ordered last June and Air). For me, at least, I can say the wait was worth it. Bob and team did a heck of a job tuning these IEMs.

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,395 of 1,582
Received my black PM6 yesterday after ordering last July. They sound incredible with the green filters and foam tips. Have them plugged into a Cowan Plenue P1 with no EQ turned on, and am listening to a combination of lossless CD and HD Tracks High Def downloads. So far I've tried Jazz, Classical, Rock, Accoustic, and Country music.

It took me a bit to figure out how to best insert them in my ears (which are on the small side), but once in position they are super comfy. The bass digs deeply - tight and precise, mids are well balanced if a bit forward and the highs have nice extension and decay. Cymbal work stands out in particular - both sticks and brushes for the additional micro details on the attack and sound decay. Wood winds are also something special due to the way these earphones are able to capture changes in intensity as the player draws breath or blows extra hard.

Air around the instruments, spatial placement and imaging are also very good. Not just for an IEM, but including consideration of headphones I've heard (I have been carrying around Sennheiser Momentum's for portable use but have auditioned a number of high end sets too). That said, both air and imaging as well as bass performance are highly tip and fit dependent.

Like many on the forum, I've waited a long time for these (and am still waiting for the Hunter ordered last June and Air). For me, at least, I can say the wait was worth it. Bob and team did a heck of a job tuning these IEMs.

Kickstarter or through their website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back