TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Oct 2, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #1,415 of 1,582
Ok, so I’m not a reviewer and I don’t post impressions on my IEMs; partly as I wouldn’t want people to base their purchasing decisions on my potentially poor judgment but mostly as I have a history of ENT problems since birth and believe my hearing is damaged as a result, I simply don’t trust it to match the majorities.

I did however want to post something up to give those still waiting for the PM6 some hope that if they hold out, they will get a good product as in my short time with them – I do believe they are a good IEM and well worth the pre-order price, I’m not sure about full retail as I have nothing to compare to in that bracket but they are a definite step up from both the atlas and the PM4.

PM6 with cable
by sososerious on Head-Fi.org

The package and product quality appears great, no gaps in the shells, all filters appear to thread on ok, no missing items, decent accessory package, etc. The cables are standard 2-pin but the shells do have a small protrusion to ensure polarity is correct, this may present an issue with aftermarket cables and could be easily filed out or maybe the better option which I will be doing, file a grove in your aftermarket 2-pin cables connectors.

PM6 cable notch

I’ll be honest, the fit for me is a bit odd. They are undoubtedly the biggest IEM I own or have made! Once in they feel very comfortable, not too heavy and in a standing or sitting position they are fine – but don’t try and lie down with these in! they protrude far outside my ear even with a deep insertion and small tips.

I’m using my go-to tips, double flange wide bore tips with the foam from TA hybrid tips beneath the top flange. These provide a perfect fit and seal with a deep insertion in my ear canal, I get no drop in isolation when moving my jaw which is my normal test for confirming tip and fit before listening critically.

PM6 - Front and filter angle

PM6 - Front

Overall, In my very limited time with them I am happy with the sound quality and they easily best my other IEMs from Trinity, my growing collection of cheap Chinese IEMs, my earbuds that include the Monk and Monk+ and Yuin Pk1 (although it is hard to compare these due to the isolation) and my own homemade IEMs that range from single BA to Quad BA and some Frankenstein re-shells (none custom, just using cheap shells from ali-express).

As I don’t fully trust my objectiveness using my suite of test tracks I’m going to use audiocheck.net’s test suite to make some comments on performance, I’m using the DAC function on the Fiio x3 II out of my laptop and the Blue filters which are said to be the most balanced across the range with no elevated frequencies (however I prefer the gold at this point, I’ve not worked through them all yet).

First test, Frequency response:
Bass Extension: Test runs from 10 Hz and I can hear something from 10, but not clearly until it hits 20 Hz.
Treble Response: Test runs down from 22 kHz, first hear something from 18 kHz but not clearly until it hits 17 kHz.

This is where i am most concerned my results may not be accurate so take these figures with a healthy pinch of salt.

Second test, Spectral flatness:
I’m not sure I trust the results of this but going by the testing notes I should hear a flat tone level all the way through (as they build in a human sensitivity curve on the test tone) but everything below 50 – 100 Hz is much lower in volume to me, this indicates slightly recessed bass I believe?

Dynamic Range:
This is a test surrounding isolation and I got a figure 60 - 66 dB below full scale, this ‘full scale’ datum is set as a noise just below uncomfortable for ‘my’ hearing so will differ between everyone.

Quality:
This tests for rattles and poor build; I didn’t notice any of the sounds that are described as indicative of poorly built headphones – even at very high (almost uncomfortable) volume levels.

Driver Matching:
This test sweep plays the same tone at exactly the same level to each earpiece, if the tone moves from centre then the drivers may not be matched. I did hear some movement on the tone to the right channel but it was not consistent, i.e. some frequencies were balanced but certainly when moving into the upper kHz ranges the move was more pronounced. This may be my hearing or it may be that not all 6 drivers per ear piece are perfectly matched, it is not enough (at this point) for me to be concerned about to be honest.

Wiring tests:
Left and Right test: Polarity is correct and there is very little cross-talk. I have to turn the volume up to painful levels to hear anything on the left channel when playing the Right channel tone for example.

The centre and twisted test tones appear as described, the centre tone plays between my ears. The twisted tone it says should be harder to locate and ‘twisting in your head’, I’m not sure I understand the description here as it doesn’t ‘twist’ so to speak but it is harder to locate to a single spot in my head and less defined than the centre tone.

Binaural Test:
Yup, this gets me every time. Very easy to place the sound and it’s very realistic, I have actually listened to a couple of tracks on the Luna Negra album “up close” as I love binaural recordings and these have the best staging and depth of any of my IEMs; I would say my Sen-Grado headphones might be better but they are fully open and built solely for that purpose.

Personal test tracks:
To get a feel for tracks I like to listen to these are tracks I know so well they suit me for testing purposes, word of warning these a bit a genre mash up here but biased to acoustic tracks:

DJ Okawari – Peacock
DJ Okawari – A cup of Coffee
DJ Okawari – Flower Dance
Katastro – Watch it Burn
Maverick Sabre – I Need (Acoustic Sessions – Bands in transit)
Ane Brun – Headphone Silence
Pearl Jam – Soon Forget (Binaural Album version)
Jamie Macdowell – Feet to Floor
Sebastian Wijk – Heart Shaped Box
Justin Nozuka – Save Him
Daft Punk – Giorgio by Moroder
Paramore – Misguided Ghosts
Ron Pope – A Drop In The Ocean
Mableton – Happy Minutes
Mableton – Play & Chill
Slightly Stoopid - Wiseman

PM6 and Filters

PM6 Overview

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #1,417 of 1,582
I have also preordered the earstudio and the configuration of the trrs is:
"It’s R- / R+ / L+ / L-, starting from the tip of the jack."

While confirmed with Kieran that the 2.5mm 2-pin trrs cable is:
"The configuration is L+ R+ L- R-, starting from the tip."

Do i need another cable to connect between TA iem to the ear studio?

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,418 of 1,582
A while ago i remember asking if i can use different cables with my Phantom Master 4 since trinity is unable to manufacture a decent cable that will stay on the damn earpiece without falling off or disconnecting (this is after i went through the 3 cables that came with the IEM and another set i got sent from Trinity started showing the same issues.

I got told by the community that they were proprietary cables and that i shouldnt try other cables, Now i understand that the actual company tells you "only use our cables" since of the warranty issues and liability if you use a low quality cable,

But the community parroting the same response... That truly hurts, I had my phantom masters 4 in a box trying home remedies like bending inwards or flattening a bit the pins on the cables.

I was playing around with the Phantom Masters i got to replace them seeing which filter works best and out of curiosity i pulled the cable off my cheapo KZ-ZS5´s and plugged them in to my Phantom Master 4´s... and guess what ? im listening to them now.

F you, simply F you. F Trinity for not being able to make a decent cablem, F you people for parroting bull proprietary cable bull from trinity, and F me for thinking this was a communty.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #1,420 of 1,582

F you, simply F you. F Trinity for not being able to make a decent cablem, F you people for parroting bull**** proprietary cable bull**** from trinity, and F me for thinking this was a communty.

I've said many times you can use standard 2 pin cables they just look funny, you can even use the different sized pins (.78 Vs .75) but people warned against it as it stretches the sockets.

A couple of people have mentioned this since the PM4 released?

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,421 of 1,582
wait,,, whats that cable ?, mine came with a very different cable and spring stress relief.

Certain 2 pin cables fit, just check the pin diameter very carefully as there is some variance and too large a pin could ruin the'sockets' on the iem side.

This leaves the cable connectors sticking out slightly as well as the aftermarket cable wouldn't be recessed to click into the trinity iems male / female hybrid socket.

I would recommend against it to be honest and just use the supplied cables.

I've said many times you can use standard 2 pin cables they just look funny, you can even use the different sized pins (.78 Vs .75) but people warned against it as it stretches the sockets.

A couple of people have mentioned this since the PM4 released?

LOL it's ok everyone, the community being referred to is actually just me! Looked at my post history as this rang a bell.

I recommended against it, but told you it was possible. Don't you think the F'ing might be a bit out of proportion?

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #1,422 of 1,582
Just needed to vent, The phantom Masters 4 are ok, but the Phantom Masters i got to suplement the fact i couldnt use the PM4 (with a deep discount) annoy the hell out of me thanks to the fact that my KZ-ZS5 almost as good out of my sony A35...

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,423 of 1,582
Just needed to vent, The phantom Masters 4 are ok, but the Phantom Masters i got to suplement the fact i couldnt use the PM4 (with a deep discount) annoy the hell out of me thanks to the fact that my KZ-ZS5 almost as good out of my sony A35...

But how is that our fault? I don't appreciate being sworn at especially when we (the ones you told to F off) tried to help you.

Maybe count to 10 before hitting 'post reply' next time? I have to do the same myself a lot more that I should around here now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back