TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,006 of 1,582
I know it's my opinion as everyone has one of course and we all have different results. I happen to agree with Tooros "simply ruin everything I've ever tried them on." YMMV

"Trinity silicon is very fractionally smaller than the Spinfits. :wink:" <Not really. The inner flange is narrower so it defeats the outside bore being bigger. I have the original Trinity Atlas and those bores are larger than Spinfit by quite a bit. Apparently they changed the size, so we are talking about different tips. Anything after that I don't know as don't have anything except PM6's that are on their way.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,007 of 1,582
I just got a set of Sprial Dots in M/L yesterday and I have to agree with @Tooros

Once again I re-listened to all the filters/combinations and I think I've settled for Grey (dampened/white filter media). No other filter gives me as much vocals as this one, bass really slams sometimes but it added an enormous amount of timbre into the mids. I can turn the volume up and really feel the music.

The spiral dots seems to alleviate the congestion that's present with with dampened filters and really do open up the sound. They sit really deep in my ear canal and somehow it's very comfortable and secure, the lower nozzle half of the Master is barely visible if you were to look at me head on.

I've wasted so much time trying to find the right sound and all I really needed were some Spiral Dots. My music library is extremely broad and so is the quality of the recordings, hence why I feel that Grey dampened works extremely well here, but there is something to be said about the added timbre, reminds of my Deltas.

(That's not to say I didn't enjoy the process, on the contrary I felt like a pig in the mud)

Exactly. Spiral Dots are wide bore and don't do anything wrong sound wise, if anything help. Fit can be issue only. I made the mistake of getting SpinFits on the believe they were a new revelation and bought enough for all my IEM's. Big mistake. Even the OEM tips that came with the IEM were better, wider, harder material, better fit and sound. I have many Spinfits that are sitting in a bag unused. Will give them to the kids as they are not critical listening and just go though tips like candy. LOL Lesson to learn is try one set first and see first as for everyone will have different results due to different factors. YMWV.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,009 of 1,582
To complain about headphones that reproduce the recording accurately is nonsense. I think quite a few people are used to the rolled off highs on some equipment. When you've heard a lot of live music and favor equipment with plenty of top end competence, you know the sibilance is there and don't freak out if your equipment reproduces it. For one, I don't mind it, since I know the gear is just being accurate.

[...]

But don't blame the headphones. The recording is mostly responsible and the amp somewhat."

Hope that helps.

When I can't enjoy my favourite recordings because the earphones make my ears bleed, there is no point in sugarcoating it. Yes there is sibilance in many recordings. In most recordings even. To accuse all sound engineers on earth of being deaf in order to justify sh-ttily controlled treble reproduction of certain equipment is somewhat questionable. I've been to a lot of concerts in my life. And a good concert setup (we're not talking community hall metal gigs here) never pushes sibilance as hard as some so called "revealing" head-/earphones do.

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #1,010 of 1,582
I think sibilance is down to 4 different factors , recording, source, headphone and probably i feel the most important your own hearing.
I can be treble sensitive and a good example for me are some of the dunu range, fantastic reviews and a lot of people get on with them but for me there very fatiguing. Does this mean there a bad iem??? Well 8 out of 10 cats say they prefer them.
It's a bit like when someone says can you hear that high pitched hum???? And you can't' we all perceive frequencys differently.
Also I have the master and use them on 2 different daps fiio x7 with am3 and opus1 in general the fiio is the warmer dap but on some of the highs on same recording i can hear peaks.
Think there are a lot of factors and cant just blame an iem.

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #1,011 of 1,582
@majo123 good points there. Disagree about the source (it rarely makes enough of a difference), but you're right about the individual perception. I'd consider myself quite treble-sensitive, too. I can listen to bright sounding 'phones, but they have to be good. Combine exaggerated sibilants with poor treble decay and there you have my acoustic nightmare. So I'm usually aiming for headphones most people would call "dark".

Btw: I have absolutely no sibilance issues with the Trinity Masters! There are enough filters that take care of the treble quite well.

Jun 5, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #1,012 of 1,582
Nice little surprise on returning home from family trip . Hyperion from the Icarus4 deal.
Tell you what , they are great little phones for relaxing with . Just a bit tricky getting out afterwards . Maybe I should offer them over to the Mrs.
... But I like them for the comfort . .
Might be a L'Oreal -"because I'm worth it !" decision on the cards. lol.
Thanks Trinity.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #1,013 of 1,582
Can anyone who has Hunter or PM6 confirm the compatiablity of "FIIO rc-78B" balanced cables?
At first glance, PM6 cables seems to be proprietary. However, Bob promised it will be industry standard. I have no tools to measure its pin size, diameter etc.

Any help is much appreciated.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #1,014 of 1,582
Nice little surprise on returning home from family trip . Hyperion from the Icarus4 deal.
Tell you what , they are great little phones for relaxing with . Just a bit tricky getting out afterwards . Maybe I should offer them over to the Mrs.
... But I like them for the comfort . .
Might be a L'Oreal -"because I'm worth it !" decision on the cards. lol.
Thanks Trinity.
My Hyperions arrived last Friday and they sound great. Excellent isolation and a good, neutral, sound. I'm not sure about durability but they're great so far. I'm really looking forward to the Icarus iv's now.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,015 of 1,582
Received my PM6 yesterday. Only filters liked are: Green, Gold, Gold with Damper, Gunmetal, Red. Still going though process of elimination. I like Gold no damper but it's edgy, and the damper has too much highs cut. I like Green as it's mid forward but bass seems missing. Read seems bloated. I keep going back to Gunmetal but like the others it's hot in the highs. Ugh. I even tried to double fill the Gold with the foam from other filters and it still seems hot in the highs.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,018 of 1,582
Received my PM6 yesterday. Only filters liked are: Green, Gold, Gold with Damper, Gunmetal, Red. Still going though process of elimination. I like Gold no damper but it's edgy, and the damper has too much highs cut. I like Green as it's mid forward but bass seems missing. Read seems bloated. I keep going back to Gunmetal but like the others it's hot in the highs. Ugh. I even tried to double fill the Gold with the foam from other filters and it still seems hot in the highs.

Just try comply foam material as damper and see the difference. You can also try toilet paper. it cuts the treble significantly. I too have PM6 and still trying with these materials

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,019 of 1,582
Just try comply foam material as damper and see the difference. You can also try toilet paper. it cuts the treble significantly. I too have PM6 and still trying with these materials

Will see how that works. I've used it before. Coffee filters work too, polyfill, cotton and best is lambs wool.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,020 of 1,582
I have to admit that I was a little worried for the first 10 hours or so that the Hunters would not be my IEM end game like I had planned.
They were just a bit too bright sounding for my taste right out of the box. I'm usually somewhat skeptical about burn in, but these Hunters have burned in like crazy during my first week of heavy usage.
I've been altering between the gun metal, red, blue and black filters. Initially I had no success in getting the combi tips to fit on the nozzles. The combi tips that I couldn't fit were from a purchase last fall, but when I opened the box of combis that were included with the Hunters, they were actually quite easy to fit. Strange...
I usually go for the most neutral filter on my other Trinity IEMs, but listening to the blue filters during the burn in process was sometimes a bit challenging due to the initial overly bright sound signature.
Anyhow somewhere around Friday/Saturday all the pieces came together when I for laughs put on the black filters, that I thought would be harshest sounding ones. Instead all of a sudden angels began to sing in my ears and I started to levitate out of joy.
Perhaps I'm especially lucky to get a great fit/seal with the Hunters. But to anyone having trouble with the Hunters sounding harsh or sibilant, I'd say let them burn in and LOWER the volume on your gear, because you are probably listening to them at a far too high volume.
And yes, the Hunters will be my IEM end game (even though I'm deadly curious abut the iSINE20)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back