TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Jun 7, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #1,021 of 1,582
I made the mistake of getting SpinFits on the believe they were a new revelation and bought enough for all my IEM's. Big mistake. Even the OEM tips that came with the IEM were better, wider, harder material, better fit and sound. I have many Spinfits that are sitting in a bag unused. Will give them to the kids as they are not critical listening and just go though tips like candy. LOL Lesson to learn is try one set first and see first as for everyone will have different results due to different factors. YMWV.
When y'all say "spinfits" are you talking about the original single flange units or the newer dual flange units? I'm going to try the dual flange because from their pictures, the part from the second flange forward can rotate seprately from the earlier part -- i.e. they look like they'll actually take that second bend in your ear canal.

So, has anyone any reports good/bad on the DUAL FLANGE spinfits?

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,022 of 1,582
I have to admit that I was a little worried for the first 10 hours or so that the Hunters would not be my IEM end game like I had planned.
They were just a bit too bright sounding for my taste right out of the box. I'm usually somewhat skeptical about burn in, but these Hunters have burned in like crazy during my first week of heavy usage.
I've been altering between the gun metal, red, blue and black filters. Initially I had no success in getting the combi tips to fit on the nozzles. The combi tips that I couldn't fit were from a purchase last fall, but when I opened the box of combis that were included with the Hunters, they were actually quite easy to fit. Strange...
I usually go for the most neutral filter on my other Trinity IEMs, but listening to the blue filters during the burn in process was sometimes a bit challenging due to the initial overly bright sound signature.
Anyhow somewhere around Friday/Saturday all the pieces came together when I for laughs put on the black filters, that I thought would be harshest sounding ones. Instead all of a sudden angels began to sing in my ears and I started to levitate out of joy.
Perhaps I'm especially lucky to get a great fit/seal with the Hunters. But to anyone having trouble with the Hunters sounding harsh or sibilant, I'd say let them burn in and LOWER the volume on your gear, because you are probably listening to them at a far too high volume.
And yes, the Hunters will be my IEM end game (even though I'm deadly curious abut the iSINE20)

I also am not usually convinced by burn in time, but it seems that this dual coil titanium driver needs a bit of time to loosen up. Both the PM6 and Hunter have improved by some extended usage.

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,023 of 1,582
When y'all say "spinfits" are you talking about the original single flange units or the newer dual flange units? I'm going to try the dual flange because from their pictures, the part from the second flange forward can rotate seprately from the earlier part -- i.e. they look like they'll actually take that second bend in your ear canal.

So, has anyone any reports good/bad on the DUAL FLANGE spinfits?

I was using the original SpinFits. I was not even aware of the dual flange existed but I am done with anything SpinFit until they make wider bore tips and inside diameter as they close in the sound stage. No point directing more in your ear when you defeat the purpose with a smaller inner and outer tip opening.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,024 of 1,582
Finally after about a month settled for the Master / green filter / spiral dot tip combo!!!
Thanks Bob excellent iem I would've paid full price for this combo Pairs really well with M1 / Mojo combo.
Was having real problems getting the S size Kombi tips to fit (touch of tendinitis not helping) but man they were a tight fit!

I had been using the Master with the green filter and Spiral Dots ever since I got the IEM. I liked the upped mids, as I thought the FR sounded more balanced to me. But, unfortunately, I also could not get past the nagging sensation of incoherence, like I was hearing a W-shaped instead of a flat response.

Now, I am really enjoying the gold dampened filters with the Spiral Dots and, the kicker, the iFi Black Label with the bass boost on. Now, they are just about perfect, with a real gut-punching sub-bass.

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #1,025 of 1,582
My Hyperions arrived last Friday and they sound great. Excellent isolation and a good, neutral, sound. I'm not sure about durability but they're great so far. I'm really looking forward to the Icarus iv's now.

The Hyperion is a dead bang steal of an iem for the price period, feel free to say you heard that here first:wink: Quite possibly one of the best returns on investment in this hobby IMO, the Lone Ranger would be proud as I call them my Silver Bullets:slight_smile:

Touch Hype.JPG

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,027 of 1,582
On the topic of sibilance, I think to truly eliminate other factors, source, headphones, etc. is to start with music that is rated as "Flawless" or "Non Sibilant." In searching the subject I have found and compiled the following list that (multiple) others including myself have confirmed are as stated. This should be a good starting point. Hopefully you have one of these songs to use as a test and use as a reference to test for sibilance.

There were 43 albums that were recommended (5) of more times and those albums are posted below.

TOP 43 Suggested FLAWLESS Albums:

Arcade Fire - Funeral (6)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (5)
Brian Eno - Another Green World (5)
Charles Mingus: The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady (5)
Daft Punk - Discovery (12)
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust (5)
Depeche Mode - Violator (6)
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (5)
Hanz Zimmer: Inception soundtrack (5)
Jethro Tull - Aqualung (5)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (6)
Joni Mitchell - Blue (5)
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (6)
Led Zeppelin - IV (6)
Mastodon - Crack the Skye (5)
Mastodon - Leviathan (5)
Megadeth - Rust in Peace (5)
Metallica - Master of Puppets (8)
Michael Jackson - Thriller (6)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (16)
Nick Drake - Pink Moon (6)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (15)
Pink Floyd - Animals (12)
Pink Floyd - Meddle (5)
Prince - Purple Rain (5)
Radiohead - OK Computer (14)
Radiohead - The Bends (7)
Rush - 2112 (5)
Rush - Moving Pictures (6)
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (5)
Steely Dan - Aja (5)
Talking Heads - Remain in Light (8)
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (6)
The Beatles - Revolver (7)
The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (11)
The Clash - London Calling (5)
The Who - Who's Next (7)
Tools - Laturalus (12)
U2 - The Joshua Tree (8)
V - Blood on the Tracks (8)
Van Halen - Van Halen (5)
Weezer - Blue album (7)
Yes - Close to the Edge (7)

Madonna - Lucky Star (The Immaculate Collection)
Madonna - I’ll Remember (Something to Remember)
Madonna - You’ll See (Something to Remember)
Sade: No Ordinary Love (remastered)
Michael Jackson - Speed Demon (Bad)
Michael Jackson - Thriller (Thriller SACD)
Michael Jackson - Billy Jean (Thriller SACD)

A Tribe Called Quest-Midnight Marauders
ABC - The Lexicon Of Love
A-ha - "Lifelines"
A-ha - Hunting High and Low
Bob Marley - One Love
Bob Marley and the Wailers: Exodus
Bob Marley: Legend (2)
Burning Spear - Marcus GARVEY (2)
Dennis Brown - The Crown Prince of Reggae: Singles (1972-1985)
Depeche Mode - 101
Depeche Mode - Violator (6)
Dr. Dre - 2001
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Norah Jones-Come Away with Me (4)
Notorious B.I.G. - Born Again
Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death
Prince - 1999 (2)
Prince - Come
Prince - Purple Rain (5)
Prince - Sign if the Times
Sade - Lovers rock
Sade - Stronger Than Pride
Snoop Dogg - Doggy Style
The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys
The Cure (10:15 Saturday Night)
The Cure: Disintegration (4)
The Smiths - Meat is Murder
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (4)

Below is a link to a very large list of songs that are considered "Flawless" and maybe used as a reference to test for sibilance if you don't happen to have any of the songs listed above.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y9V9-wiDUMirHFDGS4BDfykq8CyKtrA-WcUoehQr0VA/edit#gid=0

Hope that helps.

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,028 of 1,582
THX @Hi-Fi'er , have 34 of those in both digital and analog formats:thumbsup:

DSCN7720.JPG

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,029 of 1,582
Below is a link to a very large list of songs that are considered "Flawless" and maybe used as a reference to test for sibilance if you don't happen to have any of the songs listed above.

I'm curious about that list.
Row 331: Agnes Obel - Philharmonics, is one of the most sibilant records I know of.
I'm playing it right now, and even if almost all harshness of my Hunters are gone, they are really struggling with the sibilance.

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,030 of 1,582
I'm curious about that list.
Row 331: Agnes Obel - Philharmonics, is one of the most sibilant records I know of.
I'm playing it right now, and even if almost all harshness of my Hunters are gone, they are really struggling with the sibilance.

I don't know that specific song. This is not my list per say. As my post stated that list is an accumulation from others that stated they were flawless recording. I don't have that song so can't confirm but also (obviously) depends of the bit rate and recording quality. Hopefully you have it in high quality format, not .MP3 or that it's a copy of a copy etc or other. Try another song I guess and see and use the list as a grain of salt. Try more songs to get a general idea to test. :ksc75smile:

The original thread is from here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/articles/flawless-album-suggestions.19121/

You can post there your impression of that song and see what others suggest.

The songs that are above that list are songs I can confirm are not sibilant.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,031 of 1,582
I had been using the Master with the green filter and Spiral Dots ever since I got the IEM. I liked the upped mids, as I thought the FR sounded more balanced to me. But, unfortunately, I also could not get past the nagging sensation of incoherence, like I was hearing a W-shaped instead of a flat response.

Now, I am really enjoying the gold dampened filters with the Spiral Dots and, the kicker, the iFi Black Label with the bass boost on. Now, they are just about perfect, with a real gut-punching sub-bass.

I think gold dampened with spiral dots is as good as it gets from the Masters without modifying the dampening materials

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,032 of 1,582
I don't know that specific song. This is not my list per say. As my post stated that list is an accumulation from others that stated they were flawless recording. I don't have that song so can't confirm but also (obviously) depends of the bit rate and recording quality. Hopefully you have it in high quality format, not .MP3 or that it's a copy of a copy etc or other. Try another song I guess and see and use the list as a grain of salt. Try more songs to get a general idea to test. :ksc75smile:

The original thread is from here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/articles/flawless-album-suggestions.19121/

You can post there your impression of that song and see what others suggest.

The songs that are above that list are songs I can confirm are not sibilant.

I'm inherently suspicious of that list due to the age of many albums on it. From personal experience, it seems to me that the least sibiliant tracks I've listened to are electronic music with very clean production. And it would make sense to me that modern recording and production technologies have made it easier to eliminate that quality.

I'm not expert though lol

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,033 of 1,582

Philharmonics is an album. Well there is a song with the same name on the album as well. :)
I have the original CD so it's pretty lossless, but you can also find it on Apple Music and it is as sibilant there as well.

Actually the titles in the Google document are all albums, and I would take the list with a grain of salt.
On row 14: U2 - The Joshua Tree, quite a lot of sibilance to be found there as well. Bono's voice + The Edge's guitar = Sibilance guarantee every day of the week.

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,034 of 1,582
Philharmonics is an album. Well there is a song with the same name on the album as well. :)
I have the original CD so it's pretty lossless, but you can also find it on Apple Music and it is as sibilant there as well.

Actually the titles in the Google document are all albums, and I would take the list with a grain of salt.
On row 14: U2 - The Joshua Tree, quite a lot of sibilance to be found there as well. Bono's voice + The Edge's guitar = Sibilance guarantee every day of the week.

Then I'm stumped why members are stating they are flawless? :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back