TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,055 of 1,582
As this is my first post on the forum, I'd like to say hi to everyone!

So, straight to the point. I've read quite a bit about Trinity headphones over the past few weeks, and, having seen so many positive reviews and impressions, I'm now tempted to preorder one of their IEMs myself. I'm considering getting either Icarus III or IV, as they are supposed to start shipping next month, but I've encountered some Trinity-related horror stories of people having to wait for many months or even a year to receive their headphones, and that's got me a little worried. So, based on your experience with Trinity, I wanted to ask you guys whether you think that at this stage the July shipping date is realistic or is it total bollocks, and we'll all have to wait until February to get the stuff posted?

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,056 of 1,582

So, straight to the point. I've read quite a bit about Trinity headphones over the past few weeks, and, having seen so many positive reviews and impressions, I'm now tempted to preorder one of their IEMs myself. I'm considering getting either Icarus III or IV, as they are supposed to start shipping next month, but I've encountered some Trinity-related horror stories of people having to wait for many months or even a year to receive their headphones, and that's got me a little worried. So, based on your experience with Trinity, I wanted to ask you guys whether you think that at this stage the July shipping date is realistic or is it total bollocks, and we'll all have to wait until February to get the stuff posted?

Just being honest, 0% chance they ship by July. It is absolutely impossible given their recent trajectory.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,058 of 1,582

I suggest that if you are the least worried about the items getting delivered on time, you should refrain from doing a preorder.
Yes the items are sold at great preorder price, but you should buy something that is in stock if you absolutely need the items now. Trinity is dependent on associates to do their part, and I honestly don't think Bob can predict everything that can go wrong, when he estimates the time when a new line of items can be delivered.
I have put a preorder for Icarus IV, but I'm in no rush getting them.

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #1,059 of 1,582

Hi @Hildegard and welcome to the thread :)

I've actually changed my order recently. I've ordered the Icarus IV, which I suspect is likely to be either one of the best, or at least most universally accepted IEM's from Trinity, in terms of sound signature.
I've been told estimated shipping is in July. I have a pretty good relationship with the guys at Trinity, and they've generally been up front with me when I ask.
I'm allowing an extra month in case of unexpected issues. I'm fairly confident I'll get them in August at the latest.

If it is a very urgent order for you and you're not happy to wait until end of August at the latest, then as others have said, it might be best to look elsewhere

It *is* something of a gamble when you're pre-ordering, so I'd simply say, as long as you've got something acceptable to listen with in the meantime and you're not in a desperate hurry, then you'll probably be fine and get what I suspect is going to be an excellent IEM at a very low price, comparatively speaking :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #1,060 of 1,582
Hi @Hildegard and welcome to the thread :)

I've actually changed my order recently. I've ordered the Icarus IV, which I suspect is likely to be either one of the best, or at least most universally accepted IEM's from Trinity, in terms of sound signature.
I've been told estimated shipping is in July. I have a pretty good relationship with the guys at Trinity, and they've generally been up front with me when I ask.
I'm allowing an extra month in case of unexpected issues. I'm fairly confident I'll get them in August at the latest.

If it is a very urgent order for you and you're not happy to wait until end of August at the latest, then as others have said, it might be best to look elsewhere

It *is* something of a gamble when you're pre-ordering, so I'd simply say, as long as you've got something acceptable to listen with in the meantime and you're not in a desperate hurry, then you'll probably be fine and get what I suspect is going to be an excellent IEM at a very low price, comparatively speaking :)

How can you possibly be "confident" that you'll get a pre-order item announced on May 18 by August when the vast majority of people who pre-ordered items in Summer to Fall of 2016 still don't have one or more of their items?

I wouldn't normally care, but I can't stand by while you tell this to someone new to Trinity.

It is totally your right, of course, to have that opinion/confidence, but I feel the strong need to point out to @Hildegard that this confidence is not warranted and if you want to make an informed decision on when to realistically expect the ICARUS IV from them, look at the Phantom Series thread and make your own deductions. Suffice it to say, if you want any kind of definitive timeline, you might want to look elsewhere.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,061 of 1,582
So, I cancelled my Hunter order out of spite (1 year, really?), but that's not the important part. I went ahead and tried a pair of Phantom Masters (the revised PM4) and I found it to be horrid on all filters. Not even any grace for these, but there was a huge 4k spike that made vocals sound unnatural and metallic, tangy, just absolutely odd and unreal. Mids were incoherent and instruments sounded messy and too clangy. Then, there's 6-7k dip that made treble odd and hollow, and the lower treble was nearly nowhere to be found. Bass was bloated and muddy, and made eerything sound too unnatural again. The only redeeming factor would be a decent seperation and imaging, making things sound super detailed, but otherwise, it sounded absolutely unlike anything I've heard, and that's not in a good way.

I'm just glad I managed a cancellation and refund, even if it means I lose money. Better than a bad purchase.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,062 of 1,582
How can you possibly be "confident" that you'll get a pre-order item announced on May 18 by August when the vast majority of people who pre-ordered items in Summer to Fall of 2016 still don't have one or more of their items?

I wouldn't normally care, but I can't stand by while you tell this to someone new to Trinity.

It is totally your right, of course, to have that opinion/confidence, but I feel the strong need to point out to @Hildegard that this confidence is not warranted and if you want to make an informed decision on when to realistically expect the ICARUS IV from them, look at the Phantom Series thread and make your own deductions. Suffice it to say, if you want any kind of definitive timeline, you might want to look elsewhere.

I have no animosity towards you or anyone else on this thread, so please take this comment in the good natured spirit I intend.

When I read the comment you made earlier (in response to the original question), I felt the same way you describe yourself as having felt when you read mine :p

I did make my efforts to carefully qualify what I was saying, and make it clear that if a timescale of any more than 2 months is an issue and he doesn't have satisfactory IEM's to tide himself over with in the meantime, then he might be better off looking elsewhere.

I was halfway writing an enormous reply to you, carefully responding and addressing all my reasons, when I suddenly realised life is too short :D
I imagine that it's only going to escalate if I do, and that would be even more tedious for everyone than reading my half-drafted enormous reply :p

I don't mean to diminish or contradict anyone else's feelings or experiences, nor to give advice that I don't feel comfortable standing by, and apologise unreservedly if I've given that impression.
Equally, I have my own experiences and feelings that are different enough from others (and I dare say I'm not totally alone in that) to feel moved to post my own feedback in response to the question as others have.

I'll leave it there though; let's live and let live :)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,063 of 1,582

Hi Hildegard, welcome to the forum!

I've had my own share of delay stories, from a couple iems yet to be delivered to some filters that are to replace some faulty ones that came with my masters (almost 2 months and still no replacement filters). :frowning2:

Despite this I am trying to remain positive. A couple things to note:

1. Anticipate that the Icarus III's will be out in Nov. and the Icarus IV's will be delivering in Jan. 2018. There is no reason to believe that the delivery dates posted on their site is a true/accurate estimate. I'm not angry or frustrated with delays yet, just being honest with how they've handled order fulfillment thus far. Trinity is clearly struggling to establish a cadence in their design and production processes. They'll need a few more product iterations before they can properly give any kind of proper estimations.

2. Price to value ratio. I don't think any of their products are worth retail pricing. But I am happy to own the trinity products I have in my possession, largely because they were all purchased at a good pre-order/loyalty discount.

3. My advice? Don't order on pre order and wait to hear how the headfi community evaluates the Icarus III and IV's. If they are awesome IEM's, then order them when they are in stock.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #1,064 of 1,582
Price to value ratio. I don't think any of their products are worth retail pricing.
3. My advice? Don't order on pre order and wait to hear how the headfi community evaluates
Bit of a problem there though...
Not worth retail prices, but if you wait until they have stock you will pay retail price minus only the 20% head-fi discount (which also happens to be the VAT discount that you should be getting anyway if outside the EU).
So, not worth it.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #1,065 of 1,582
Bit of a problem there though...
Not worth retail prices, but if you wait until they have stock you will pay retail price minus only the 20% head-fi discount (which also happens to be the VAT discount that you should be getting anyway if outside the EU).
So, not worth it.

I think they will become easily available used or BNIB. There are a few pairs available for sale and they aren't really seling.
Trinity's IEMs have a very short life cycle for some reason. The value of their models is pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back