TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
Jul 26, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,171 of 1,582
I wouldn't use a soldering iron. You'd have to work hard to get it close, but not touching, to melt the material without it getting on the iron. Maybe just use a match or lighter?
Just touch the frays themselves. The nylon will get on the iron, but if you have that wet sponge to wipe the iron on, you can get the melted nylon off...or wait until the iron is cool and just scrape it off. The problem with a flame is the frays could could catch alight and melt more than you intended. The iron offers better control over the heat but you still need to take care in what you're doing. I worked with nylon "550" parachute cord a lot back in my ol' Air Force days.

One other suggestion...if the fray is minor and the cable does't look to be fraying more, just carefully trim the frays with some nail clippers. It's safer than heat and as long as the cable isn't fraying worse (and you don't accidentally cut a wire), is a less risky option...

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,172 of 1,582
Just use a lighter, much easier and quicker. I use one all the time on parachute cord and works like a champ. I've never caught the whole thing a blaze. It just gets all the frayed strains of material.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,173 of 1,582
The ICARUS III comes with a 2.5mm balanced cable and is 75 pounds right now with the code GETMEICARUS..... Might want to bite on that one if you're looking for a good deal on balanced enabled IEM's. They're cheaper then anything else with the modular cable system, but Trinity only sell earphones with Y split detatchable cables, excluding the PM6 and hunter of course.

I have just got mine a couple of days ago first impressions are good not that I have masses of knowledge on IEMs however the balanced cable I got isn't 2.5mm which is a shame as I was hoping to use it on my X5iii balanced output.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,176 of 1,582
I got 2x3.5mm cables, balanced and unbalanced (I don't have anything with a 3.5mm balanced output to test them with though)

No my X5iii is 2.5mm balanced out too. I'm sure I've seen adapters online but they aren't cheap for what they do/are. I've got the DAC/AMP on order too, thought I'd give it a try with my phone and a large memory card. Maybe the balanced cable will fit that and I can use it there.
How are you finding them? I like them but not sure which filter I like. At the moment I'm on the Gold no damper. I've only got one other IEM to compare with which are the AKG N40. I'm no bass head but the AKG can produce some bass and I really like the AKG but just wanted to try something else. I also like the look of the Obravo erib 5.
Really like the Icarus III just need to give them a bit of time I think. I've tried a few filter options but found the ones I thought would suit me seemed a little lifeless or muffled in the mid frequencies, could this be a running in thing? Love the design of the Icarus III and think they are pretty good quality for the money. Not sure I like the Y cable thing though, prefer to be able to replace the whole cable.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,177 of 1,582
No my X5iii is 2.5mm balanced out too. I'm sure I've seen adapters online but they aren't cheap for what they do/are. I've got the DAC/AMP on order too, thought I'd give it a try with my phone and a large memory card. Maybe the balanced cable will fit that and I can use it there.
How are you finding them? I like them but not sure which filter I like. At the moment I'm on the Gold no damper. I've only got one other IEM to compare with which are the AKG N40. I'm no bass head but the AKG can produce some bass and I really like the AKG but just wanted to try something else. I also like the look of the Obravo erib 5.
Really like the Icarus III just need to give them a bit of time I think. I've tried a few filter options but found the ones I thought would suit me seemed a little lifeless or muffled in the mid frequencies, could this be a running in thing? Love the design of the Icarus III and think they are pretty good quality for the money. Not sure I like the Y cable thing though, prefer to be able to replace the whole cable.
Go here https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=16 you can get whatever adapter you need at a great price.

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,178 of 1,582
Trinity changed the Master cable to 3.5 balanced without any notice and could care less that anyone who purchased their iems with this in mind has to buy an adapter to use 2.5 balanced.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #1,179 of 1,582
Duly noted, thanks for the advice everyone :)
Just touch the frays themselves. The nylon will get on the iron, but if you have that wet sponge to wipe the iron on, you can get the melted nylon off...or wait until the iron is cool and just scrape it off. The problem with a flame is the frays could could catch alight and melt more than you intended. The iron offers better control over the heat but you still need to take care in what you're doing. I worked with nylon "550" parachute cord a lot back in my ol' Air Force days.

One other suggestion...if the fray is minor and the cable does't look to be fraying more, just carefully trim the frays with some nail clippers. It's safer than heat and as long as the cable isn't fraying worse (and you don't accidentally cut a wire), is a less risky option...

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Thanks for the advice :).
So far the fraying has been miniscule, but I've also ordered the Icarus IV, so I expect it to be a thing I'll have to pay attention to going forward.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #1,182 of 1,582
FiiO maks a very nice 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced cable. I have this and it's super well made and inexpensive.

FiiO L26 3.5mm Male to 2.5mm TRRS Female Balanced Output Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N10RBPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The opposite of that is what is needed to use the Trinity balanced cable for the Master/Icarus III. The one you linked to is 3.5mm Male to 2.5mm Female. You'd need a 3.5mm Female to 2.5mm Male adapter.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,183 of 1,582
The opposite of that is what is needed to use the Trinity balanced cable for the Master/Icarus III. The one you linked to is 3.5mm Male to 2.5mm Female. You'd need a 3.5mm Female to 2.5mm Male adapter.

You right. Sorry. There are many on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=3.5mm+Female+to+2.5mm+Male+adapter&rh=i:aps,k:3.5mm+Female+to+2.5mm+Male+adapter

Is a nice one: https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Audi...r=8-12&keywords=3.5mm+Female+to+2.5mm+adapter

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,184 of 1,582
On another note I wonder if this will fit the new pin configuration of PM6?

https://www.amazon.com/4-pole-Balan...01265163&sr=8-2&keywords=balanced+2+pin+cable

I just noticed Trinity does not provide a balanced cable for the PM6 now that I would like to use balanced. When a company goes to a proprietary pin they really should include that. I wonder if the stock 3.5mm can be changed to a 2.5mm balanced male. Have to figure out the polarity pin connections. Ugh.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,185 of 1,582
On another note I wonder if this will fit the new pin configuration of PM6?

https://www.amazon.com/4-pole-Balan...01265163&sr=8-2&keywords=balanced+2+pin+cable

I just noticed Trinity does not provide a balanced cable for the PM6 now that I would like to use balanced. When a company goes to a proprietary pin they really should include that. I wonder if the stock 3.5mm can be changed to a 2.5mm balanced male. Have to figure out the polarity pin connections. Ugh.

I've made balanced cables from trinity standard cables, they have always been 4 pole all the way to the Jack in my experience.

Check continuity with the 3.5mm Jack still on to find the +R and +L at the iem connector end, then take it off the 3.5mm jack and work back from the iem connectors (remaining 2 pins) to find -R and -L, it's pretty easy in practice.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back