Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds
Jul 3, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,236 of 2,949
I had an issue with my Master where the left side volume was lower. After extensive testing and A/B-ing with various devices Jake asked me to test them again. After that I had to send them back for repair, at my cost. About a month later I received a repair/replacement. The new set had a strange issue where the right side seemed to have a loss of resolution. Hi-hats & cymbals were noticeably less punchy on the right side. After emailing Jake he asked me to try burning them in for ~100 hours. Sure enough this worked, but it has left me feeling less than enthusiastic about the whole situation. But I guess burn-in isn't a myth.
I dunno about burn in for Trinity products.
My Vyrus V1 sounds same as it did in June 2016 about 1 year ago.

But burn-in can exist to some and some not. I do not doubt you might have experienced burn in.

I have to give props to Jake for fixing the iems or replacing them.

But I also Read this from an article though
I dunno kinda interesting to read.
"Shure has tested some thoroughly used pairs of its E1 earphones, which first launched in 1997. And guess what? They measure the same now as when they came off the line. In fact, during the 15 years Shure has been actively selling earphones, its engineers have reached the same conclusion again and again: The sound produced by these tiny transducers during final testing is the same sound you'll get in a day, in a year, and in five years... unless something goes wrong."

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,237 of 2,949
You do know that the AD is not being made, right? They should be replacing those for you with Masters.
And, you should have been eligible to get an Icarus I for the cost of shipping alone.

Yeah, I had heard about the AD, although not from Trinity. I figured I'd wait and see if they would let me know or if they'd just send me the Masters instead. I kind of just want to see what they do, they seem to be very inconsistent in regards to communication & customer service.

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,238 of 2,949
I dunno about burn in for Trinity products.
My Vyrus V1 sounds same as it did in June 2016 about 1 year ago.

But burn-in can exist to some and some not. I do not doubt you might have experienced burn in.

I have to give props to Jake for fixing the iems or replacing them.

But I also Read this from an article though
I dunno kinda interesting to read.
"Shure has tested some thoroughly used pairs of its E1 earphones, which first launched in 1997. And guess what? They measure the same now as when they came off the line. In fact, during the 15 years Shure has been actively selling earphones, its engineers have reached the same conclusion again and again: The sound produced by these tiny transducers during final testing is the same sound you'll get in a day, in a year, and in five years... unless something goes wrong."

My understanding is that balanced armatures don't require burn-in. In regards to dynamic drivers, there's arguments on both sides. Jake seems to believe in it. I've tested my Masters repeatedly and apparently the 100+ hours of burn-in have resolved the previous issue.

I do have to add that I was extremely disappointed upon receiving the repair/replacement that this issue even existed. I understand it may not be possible to test all the earphones being shipped, especially since at the time Trinity was dealing with a huge backlog of delayed orders, but a repair/replacement set should not have gone out without first testing them.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #2,239 of 2,949
My understanding is that balanced armatures don't require burn-in. In regards to dynamic drivers, there's arguments on both sides. Jake seems to believe in it. I've tested my Masters repeatedly and apparently the 100+ hours of burn-in have resolved the previous issue.

I do have to add that I was extremely disappointed upon receiving the repair/replacement that this issue even existed. I understand it may not be possible to test all the earphones being shipped, especially since at the time Trinity was dealing with a huge backlog of delayed orders, but a repair/replacement set should not have gone out without first testing them.
Hopefully Trinity reads this for sure. You gone through your part with shipping your product back and waiting for it. They should also do that step with you too!

But then again Jake recommended a solution and fixed it without having to ship it back.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #2,240 of 2,949
You do know that the AD is not being made, right? They should be replacing those for you with Masters.
And, you should have been eligible to get an Icarus I for the cost of shipping alone.
I have the ADs on order too and was offered Masters... but (a) I ordered the BT Lanyard to use with the ADs AND (b) I already have a set of Masters.

I've suggested several ideas to Bob-passed-it-to-Jake about how to handle this since I just don't need another Master that I'd just be forced to give away. My ideas included: replace the ADs with PM6 or Hunter, or refund the ADs & Lanyard and give me Vyrus or Hyperion. None of those sat well with TA. The reason I wanted the ADs was form-factor that would help get me enough isolation. I figured at worst, a GBP10 Hyperion would be "easy", but alas no.

I really don't want to end up with a GBP75 Masters (price of AD plus Lanyard that won't work with the Masters).

And, I sure hope the Airs really work well. I'd love to get them before the Zolo Liberty+ project closes so that IF the Airs work fine, I can pass on the Liberty+.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #2,241 of 2,949
I have the ADs on order too and was offered Masters... but (a) I ordered the BT Lanyard to use with the ADs AND (b) I already have a set of Masters.

I've suggested several ideas to Bob-passed-it-to-Jake about how to handle this since I just don't need another Master that I'd just be forced to give away. My ideas included: replace the ADs with PM6 or Hunter, or refund the ADs & Lanyard and give me Vyrus or Hyperion. None of those sat well with TA. The reason I wanted the ADs was form-factor that would help get me enough isolation. I figured at worst, a GBP10 Hyperion would be "easy", but alas no.

I really don't want to end up with a GBP75 Masters (price of AD plus Lanyard that won't work with the Masters).

And, I sure hope the Airs really work well. I'd love to get them before the Zolo Liberty+ project closes so that IF the Airs work fine, I can pass on the Liberty+.
I backed the Zolos anyway. Data point comparison purposes. Both are truly wireless IEMs, but which ones sound better?

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #2,243 of 2,949
Anyone still waiting on Master? A shipment should have come in this week. To anyone who already has it, is the sound quality worth waiting for?
I think everyone who actually bought the Master received it, though not totally sure on that one. Pretty sure a lot people are still waiting for one as a replacement to their Atlas-Delta's though.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #2,244 of 2,949
Finally got a reply from Jake about the Hunters and Airs. First he apologized for the delay in answering. I was then told the Hunters were being shipped soon
along with the Airs as well.

The part that I find disconcerting? I was told that would need 2 different players to make ALL my IEMs work... Now that I do NOT understand.
I own a pair of Senn IE-7s and a pair of TDK BA-200s and well as the Masters and soon Hunters. Why would I need 2 different Icarus IIs...
Jake said pictures would be forth coming soon... I just do not get how I would need 2 different Icarus units for my IEMs...

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,245 of 2,949
Finally got a reply from Jake about the Hunters and Airs. First he apologized for the delay in answering. I was then told the Hunters were being shipped soon

The part that I find disconcerting? I was told that would need 2 different players to make ALL my IEMs work... Now that I do NOT understand.
I own a pair of Senn IE-7s and a pair of TDK BA-200s and well as the Masters and soon Hunters. Why would I need 2 different Icarus IIs...
Jake said pictures would be forth coming soon... I just do not get how I would need 2 different Icarus units for my IEMs...

blind-leading-blind1.jpg

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,246 of 2,949

Hey there,

I can't explain it exactly, but my understanding is that (weirdly), the Icarus II is going to be designed to fit with either the standard new Trinity ecosystem (cable detachable at the Y-split), or with a particular kind
of connector (0.78mm 2 pin, MMCX, etc).
For older detachable cable Trinity (or non-Trinity) IEM's, maybe it's super small and designed to go in between the IEM itself and the detachable cable that came with it?
I don't know, but if you go to buy one on their website, you can see that it has a drop down menu to select which cable connector type you'll be using it with.

I realise this is not the most satisfactory answer, but it's the best I can do given that I'm somewhat confused myself :p

For what it's worth, I've just ordered an Icarus II to go with the Icarus IV I pre-ordered.
For my other IEM's, I'll just use my regular DAP.
So the Icarus II and IV will be something like my 'fun' (but still high quality) or on-the-go ultraportable solution.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2,247 of 2,949
...I don't know, but if you go to buy one on their website, you can see that it has a drop down menu to select which cable connector type you'll be using it with.

I realise this is not the most satisfactory answer, but it's the best I can do given that I'm somewhat confused myself :p

Thankfully I'm not scared to get the soldering iron out and have plenty of high quality cable, however it pans out I'm just gonna make an adapter; or adapt the damn thing itself to make it fit the various different cable terminations I have in my collection! (About 6 diff iem connectors and I have each in both 3.5mm trs and twin 3.5mm trs for Pono).

I shouldn't have to do that really as a consumer; nor should we all still be wondering what's going on but hopefully the pictures due or soon will clarify.

I just hope they are more technical photos than the artsy photos of late, the last thing these threads need is more uncertainty!

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #2,248 of 2,949
Sounds like the Icarus dap is going to be similar to the Flare Pro. The Pros have a cable built into the IEM earpiece with a splitter that disconnects. They used mmcx on the splitter. A Bluetooth/dap can be interchanged with the splitter. The Bluetooth unit has balanced output! They all use mmcx.

Think Trinity is doing something similar. Perhaps a 2 pin dap and a 3.5mm trs dap? One single ended, one balanced?

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,249 of 2,949
Thankfully I'm not scared to get the soldering iron out and have plenty of high quality cable, however it pans out I'm just gonna make an adapter; or adapt the damn thing itself to make it fit the various different cable terminations I have in my collection! (About 6 diff iem connectors and I have each in both 3.5mm trs and twin 3.5mm trs for Pono).

I shouldn't have to do that really as a consumer; nor should we all still be wondering what's going on but hopefully the pictures due or soon will clarify.

I just hope they are more technical photos than the artsy photos of late, the last thing these threads need is more uncertainty!
:c that soldiering sounds scary to me. I'm scared of slipping and burning myself.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #2,250 of 2,949

Wow. That means yours is going to ship soon guaranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back