Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds
Jan 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #901 of 2,949
Hikergirl,
May I ask where you obtained the balanced cable for PM4? Did you make it yourself? I have a pono player and would like to use it in the balanced mode with the PM6 which I am waiting for.

Hi Sup - I was planning on modding a cheap TF10 cable to make it Pono balanced. But I got tired of waiting for it to arrive (ebay China seller), especially since I suspected that the PM4 would sound so much better balanced. (Life is short, so listen to the best quality music you can!)
So I fearlessly cut into the Trinity cable with the memory wire (actually I hated the memory wire so I pulled that out first). I was a bit apprehensive, since I haven't modded this type of cable before.  However its very straightforward, except that the amount of copper in the Trinity braided cables is tiny.  Each conductor has quite a lot of fiber and it seemed like only 4-6 tiny, thin whiskers of copper.  This is not unusual - but it made soldering a bit tricky (for my inexperienced hands).  Definitely sounds better (quite significantly to me). 
I believe that sososerious also has done this mod. (Oops just saw that sososerious just replied to your post.)
Of course we don't know what the PM6 or its cable will look like
smile_phones.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #902 of 2,949
You can use a UE style 2 pin balanced cable (check pin size is correct) or put two 3.5mm jacks on one of the trinity braided cables as they are 4 wire braids all the way to the jack (may affect warranty).

It's worth the hassel in my opinion, I'm literally not listening to anything but the pono-pm4 combo at the moment - it's bliss.

Hi Sup - I was planning on modding a cheap TF10 cable to make it Pono balanced. But I got tired of waiting for it to arrive (ebay China seller), especially since I suspected that the PM4 would sound so much better balanced. (Life is short, so listen to the best quality music you can!)
So I fearlessly cut into the Trinity cable with the memory wire (actually I hated the memory wire so I pulled that out first). I was a bit apprehensive, since I haven't modded this type of cable before.  However its very straightforward, except that the amount of copper in the Trinity braided cables is tiny.  Each conductor has quite a lot of fiber and it seemed like only 4-6 tiny, thin whiskers of copper.  This is not unusual - but it made soldering a bit tricky (for my inexperienced hands).  Definitely sounds better (quite significantly to me). 
I believe that sososerious also has done this mod. (Oops just saw that sososerious just replied to your post.)
Of course we don't know what the PM6 or its cable will look like
smile_phones.gif

Thank you so much, sososerious, thank you so much hikergirl!

I definitely got way more confidence now to modify the trinity cable. I don't have any experience in modding, although I did some soldering as a kid in science projects at school.

The other option I was looking into (in line of what sososerious mentioned) was to get an aftermarket cable like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP9LD9A/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_2_w , then get a TRRS to TRS adapter to use with pono. However I am not sure if the terminal ends in the Fiio cable would be compatible with the PM4/6. The direct modding of the trinity cable sounds a much better idea though, because it will get rid of extra adapters and connections which can potentially affect sound.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #905 of 2,949
Thank you so much, sososerious, thank you so much hikergirl!

The other option I was looking into (in line of what sososerious mentioned) was to get an aftermarket cable like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP9LD9A/ref=s9_dcacsd_bhz_bw_c_x_2_w , then get a TRRS to TRS adapter to use with pono. However I am not sure if the terminal ends in the Fiio cable would be compatible with the PM4/6. The direct modding of the trinity cable sounds a much better idea though, because it will get rid of extra adapters and connections which can potentially affect sound.

I haven't seen many pono adapters in the UK, but it would need to be 2.5mm female trrs to 2x 3.5mm male trs for that cable and balanced pono use (just checking you had that right).

I saw some bad reviews of the fiio cables having wide pins that stretched sockets on other iems so would be cautious.

The stock trinity cable also has coated wires that won't take solder, you will need to YouTube "soldering headphone cables" or similar to get the technique right.

Using a solder pot is the easiest way but you might not have one or want to make one, a big ball of solder on the iron and run the wires through it is another option.

Good luck buddy

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #906 of 2,949
I haven't seen many pono adapters in the UK, but it would need to be 2.5mm female trrs to 2x 3.5mm male trs for that cable and balanced pono use (just checking you had that right).

I saw some bad reviews of the fiio cables having wide pins that stretched sockets on other iems so would be cautious.

The stock trinity cable also has coated wires that won't take solder, you will need to YouTube "soldering headphone cables" or similar to get the technique right.

Using a solder pot is the easiest way but you might not have one or want to make one, a big ball of solder on the iron and run the wires through it is another option.

Good luck buddy

Thanks for bringing this up. I think this should work to convert the 2.5 TRRS to dual 3.5 mm for pono, but I can't be sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQV0N0/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w​

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #908 of 2,949

Good luck buddy

This is great advice sososerious.
I cut off as many of the fibers as possible, then put the conductors/wires under a match flame briefly (to burn off the coating), then wiped off residue then did the "big ball of solder" technique.

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #910 of 2,949
That's what I thought. Sounded like something else.

Well how up-to-date do you want that image to be?
tongue.gif
Cuz that image is still using the previous Trinity 2-pin.

The PM6 that's shipping out to all the people that pre-ordered is going to be industry standard (I assume 0.78mm by that wording) recessed 2-pin. Any orders from then on will be using the newly proposed fixed cable above the y-split so there shouldn't even be a socket there in the diagram
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #912 of 2,949
Thanks for bringing this up. I think this should work to convert the 2.5 TRRS to dual 3.5 mm for pono, but I can't be sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQV0N0/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w​

This won't work buddy sorry, the pono has a specific pin out on the 3.5 trs' so a splitter will give you positive left right to both earphones without a negative connection.

(Correction: as that's a mic / headphone splitter the splitting of the channels would be different but you will still not get right/left and +/- in the correct places!)

From memory (check before you do anything) it's has the tips as the positive (right/left) and the ring as the negative (right/left) with the sleeves un-used.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #914 of 2,949
Well how up-to-date do you want that image to be? :p Cuz that image is still using the previous Trinity 2-pin.

The PM6 that's shipping out to all the people that pre-ordered is going to be industry standard (I assume 0.78mm by that wording) recessed 2-pin. Any orders from then on will be using the newly proposed fixed cable above the y-split so there shouldn't even be a socket there in the diagram :wink:

I should be more specific in my thought. My point was moreso that since the PM4 drama, the PM6 went quiet. No info on here nor on the Trinity site. No updated pics, not even a pic of what the one off the assembly line looks like but it's supposed to be shipping within 4 more days? Seems awkward. I think they are not done and not going out this month which is fine but would at least like an update what is going on at least. :D

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #915 of 2,949
I should be more specific in my thought. My point was moreso that since the PM4 drama, the PM6 went quiet. No info on here nor on the Trinity site. No updated pics, not even a pic of what the one off the assembly line looks like but it's supposed to be shipping within 4 more days? Seems awkward. I think they are not done and not going out this month which is fine but would at least like an update what is going on at least. :D

Personally, I think something might have clicked and they realise that every update generates drama - so of things are still on track and there is no 'need' to update, then it's better to stay quiet!

It's a shame if that is the case (only ourselves to blame, etc.), but things have been so silly recently that I wouldn't hold it against them one bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back