TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 4, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #2,461 of 3,867
The Custom Art FIBAE 4 keeps up with single DD and hybrid (BA/DD hybrids with the DD(s) handling bass) IEMs surprisingly well; granted, they run around $800 after currency conversion so not cheap by any stretch. Prior to hearing the FIBAE 4 I definitely didn't think BA bass could match DD bass -- now, not so sure.

To be clear, my reference system has a pair of 12" sealed woofers and a dedicated 14" sub (though I usually leave that turned off; I'm not a hardcore basshead) and I listen to a lot of alt rock and EDM, so I think my standard for bass is pretty high.
A song I just refound in my lineup for testing out bass, in case you want something else to rumble to:

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #2,462 of 3,867
Same here, I hope you get a speedy fix. Thankfully, I think my issue may have been the stock cable. Either was faulty upon me receiving them or one of my cats nibbled it just right... I did catch one of them a few times... so likely the culprit. Luckily I had ordered a 2nd 3.5 and 2 4.4 cables from TRI which arrived late yesterday and today. Upon amping the new 3.5 cable and hearing through one of the 4.4's, I think mine are OK.

I had a long PM talk with Wendy yesterday and she did offer for me to send mine back for possible repair as well. I will further test mine over the next week or so to know for sure but sounds good so far.

I also ordered a pair of Starsea's for my 'in office pair' and also looking fw to the Believe-replacement.
oh, do never leave your gear loose around if you have cats lol

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #2,464 of 3,867
I need more reviews on Starshine or give me a unit for a review purpose! The graph intrigued me. Dear KBEAR!

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #2,467 of 3,867
I've fallen in love with first the Starlight and then the Starsea. Just put in my order for the Starshine! Looking forward to hearing it in a couple of weeks!!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,468 of 3,867
KiI've fallen in love with first the Starlight and then the Starsea. Just put in my order for the Starshine! Looking forward to hearing it in a couple of weeks!!
Good choice. After a few days listening I like these Starshines a lot. Although the bass driver is a BA, testing it using 4.4mm balanced, on the HiBy R5 with Azla Sedna Xelastec bass friendly tips, using the track The Dark Night, Hans Zimmer, 3.20 onwards, I am surprised that there is sub-bass. I would say these are NOT bright, not V shaped, and have very resolving but non fatiguing treble. Mid range for vocals position perfectly, and don't struggle with the bass, always in the right place on the soundstage. Very analogue, vinyl type sound. How do TRi manage to get genuinely different tunings on all their IEMs? The Starlights had a very intense treble, but very listenable. The Starshines though are very different and have a very resolving treble, but not glaring or peaky at all. A very smooth and enjoyable tuning. They are very tip dependent and need a powerful source. Even on my HiBy R5 I have to use about 68, high gain (with my LZ A7 I use 30 max in high gain). My iFi hip-dac runs them effortlessly though. Mobile phones without an amp or amp/DAC will NOT drive these properly. Hard to drive but great to listen to. If you like very bright tunings you may prefer something else, but these are my type of IEMs. I will give more details in a few days.

All tracks streamed using either Tidal via UAPP, or Amazon HD.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #2,469 of 3,867
I've fallen in love with first the Starlight and then the Starsea. Just put in my order for the Starshine! Looking forward to hearing it in a couple of weeks!!

I have had the pleasure of listening to all the TRI models and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to hear them all. One of the reasons is that each presents differently and is (to my ears) very well tuned.

I have, and will continue to try other brands, but it is always a joy when I pick up one of the TRI earphones.

Yes, taking each in turn, there may be better sets out there which could arguably be better in one way or another (not in every way) BUT at what price?

Anyway, looking forward to your impressions of the Starshines!

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #2,470 of 3,867
Good choice. After a few days listening I like these Starshines a lot. Although the bass driver is a BA, testing it using 4.4mm balanced, on the HiBy R5 with Azla Sedna Xelastec bass friendly tips, using the track The Dark Night, Hans Zimmer, 3.20 onwards, I am surprised that there is sub-bass. I would say these are NOT bright, not V shaped, and have very resolving but non fatiguing treble. Mid range for vocals position perfectly, and don't struggle with the bass, always in the right place on the soundstage. Very analogue, vinyl type sound. How do TRi manage to get genuinely different tunings on all their IEMs. The Starlights had a very intense treble, but very listenable. The Starshines though are very different and have a very resolving treble, but not glaring or peaky at all. A very smooth and enjoyable tuning. They are very tip dependent and need a powerful source. Even on my HiBy R5 I have to use about 68, high gain (with my LZ A7 I use 30 max in high gain). My iFi hip-dac runs them effortlessly though. Mobile phones without an amp or amp/DAC will NOT drive these properly. Hard to drive but great to listen to. If you like very bright tunings you may prefer something else, but these are my type of IEMs.
It means Tri did well with the Shine. EST is harder to drive than BAs. So they need to make the BAs ins Shine harder to drive. Hence the EST receives the current.

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,471 of 3,867
Good choice. After a few days listening I like these Starshines a lot. Although the bass driver is a BA, testing it using 4.4mm balanced, on the HiBy R5 with Azla Sedna Xelastec bass friendly tips, using the track The Dark Night, Hans Zimmer, 3.20 onwards, I am surprised that there is sub-bass. I would say these are NOT bright, not V shaped, and have very resolving but non fatiguing treble. Mid range for vocals position perfectly, and don't struggle with the bass, always in the right place on the soundstage. Very analogue, vinyl type sound. How do TRi manage to get genuinely different tunings on all their IEMs? The Starlights had a very intense treble, but very listenable. The Starshines though are very different and have a very resolving treble, but not glaring or peaky at all. A very smooth and enjoyable tuning. They are very tip dependent and need a powerful source. Even on my HiBy R5 I have to use about 68, high gain (with my LZ A7 I use 30 max in high gain). My iFi hip-dac runs them effortlessly though. Mobile phones without an amp or amp/DAC will NOT drive these properly. Hard to drive but great to listen to. If you like very bright tunings you may prefer something else, but these are my type of IEMs.
Good to hear your take on the Starshines. I second that:

"....these are my type of IEMs."

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,472 of 3,867
I have had the pleasure of listening to all the TRI models and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to hear them all. One of the reasons is that each presents differently and is (to my ears) very well tuned.

I have, and will continue to try other brands, but it is always a joy when I pick up one of the TRI earphones.

Yes, taking each in turn, there may be better sets out there which could arguably be better in one way or another (not in every way) BUT at what price?

Anyway, looking forward to your impressions of the Starshines!
I am really new to the game but am privileged to have tried both Tri offerings so far. I am sure there are iems out there that surpass each of the Tris technically, but there is just something in each of the Starlight and the Starsea that keeps drawing me back. There is this x-factor in them which you have rightly referred to as the "tuning". Whatever this secret sauce is, I love it!!!

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,473 of 3,867
Good choice. After a few days listening I like these Starshines a lot. Although the bass driver is a BA, testing it using 4.4mm balanced, on the HiBy R5 with Azla Sedna Xelastec bass friendly tips, using the track The Dark Night, Hans Zimmer, 3.20 onwards, I am surprised that there is sub-bass. I would say these are NOT bright, not V shaped, and have very resolving but non fatiguing treble. Mid range for vocals position perfectly, and don't struggle with the bass, always in the right place on the soundstage. Very analogue, vinyl type sound. How do TRi manage to get genuinely different tunings on all their IEMs? The Starlights had a very intense treble, but very listenable. The Starshines though are very different and have a very resolving treble, but not glaring or peaky at all. A very smooth and enjoyable tuning. They are very tip dependent and need a powerful source. Even on my HiBy R5 I have to use about 68, high gain (with my LZ A7 I use 30 max in high gain). My iFi hip-dac runs them effortlessly though. Mobile phones without an amp or amp/DAC will NOT drive these properly. Hard to drive but great to listen to. If you like very bright tunings you may prefer something else, but these are my type of IEMs. I will give more details in a few days.

All tracks streamed using either Tidal via UAPP, or Amazon HD.
I am salivating!!!

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #2,474 of 3,867

Interesting comparisons on sub-$800 iems where Starlight was in the lineup.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #2,475 of 3,867
I have been listening to Brahms Symphonies with the Starseas. I'm beginning to appreciate what AmericanSpirit, Nimweth and dharmasteve like about these iems with classical music. There's just something in the tuning which matches so well. It is almost as if I am appreciating Brahms Symphonies more with these iems! Does that make sense? Man! These are blowing my mind!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back