TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,491 of 3,867
Here is a bit of Crinacle´s post on it: "You hear the term “colouration” getting thrown around a lot but here’s how I see it. When the tonality of the sound gets skewed to any direction, it goes from having a neutral tone to a coloured one. Skewing towards the low frequencies creates a “dark tonality”, while skewing towards the higher frequencies creates a “bright tonality”. Being lower-frequency-biased puts the focus more on the fundamentals and lower-order harmonics, which subjectively gives the instruments some extra richness and heft. On the other hand, being higher-frequency-biased puts the focus more on the higher-order harmonics, which can boost the clarity of the instruments as well as improving the perception of “air”."

https://crinacle.com/2021/06/04/the-tonal-technical-dichotomy-the-ief-evaluation-system/

And I agree with him. Graphs can give you a good idea of the tonality/signature of the transducer, whether it is having a lot of treble and making it an overall bright sounding tonality. Or having a lot of bass and making it warm.

What we cant tell however, is the technicalities. Stuff like how big the soundstage is, how much detail or how good the imaging is. We cant tell that from a graph and that is where our ears are better. BUT I do believe that some of these factors can be implied with graphs.

For example:
graph (28).png
The soundstage, air and micro-details are very limited on the Zen. Why? Well, it rolls-off in the upper-treble, that area bottlenecks those 3 factors a lot.
Meanwhile, we can see that it got quite a lot of of lower-treble, what does that imply? It implies that it has a lot of macro details, and that is exactly what I hear with them.

graph (29).png
Then we have the Oxygen. See how it has quite a lot of upper-treble? Its not a coincidence that the soundstage is very wide on it, as well as being very airy and having very good micro-details.

graph (30).png
Then we have the Tape, and looking at the graph it looks like it has around the same upper-treble quantity as the Oxygen right? So it should have a similar soundstage, air and micro-details with my logic. But no, it doesnt, it loses in the air and soundstage while it beats the Oxygen in micro-details.

Basically, I believe that we can tell the tonality of the iem pretty accurately based on graphs but with technicalities its not as certain but it does have some implications on it.
I, like @baskingshark agree that graphs can indicate quite a few things and are a useful guide to the tone of earphones. I have no issues reading graphs to (partially) determine what to expect from a particular set of IEMs.

In that I believe I am with @baskingshark, and you (solely based on your post above) and I quote him:

"Graphs are useful as a gatekeeper as such, but they definitely do not tell the full story."

The aspect of the "story" which began the discussion is whether or not someone tuning a set of IEMs would use a graph to do so.

My view, is that our ears are much more advanced and sophisticated than a graph can be, hence someone tuning earphones would use their ears to tune earphones. A graph may be supplementary but would neither be central nor essential to the tuning process.

I would be interested to hear from someone who tunes earphones to find out if they use a graph for the purpose of tuning.

However, I take your well set out points on how instructive a graph may be to assist a buyer in finding out various (but not all) characteristics of earphones. Clearly, that may be of assistance at the point of purchase.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #2,492 of 3,867
Tri i3 is discontinued and i3 Pro is coming up, announced on FB.

Not much information on i3 Pro excep it is smaller.

IMO that's the worst thing some people had asked for. There is no shortage whatsoever of IEMs that are small and sound bad. It looked fairly obvious that the i3's size was also part of its sound. I was hoping they'd get bigger :)

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,494 of 3,867
Dear families, the Dragon Boat Festival is coming soon. We will have a break from June 12th--June 14th. Products are sold normally but the shipment will have some delay. Please understand!

Guess which model will I use for listening to music during that time?

Starshine?

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #2,496 of 3,867
Tri i3 is discontinued and i3 Pro is coming up, announced on FB.

Not much information on i3 Pro excep it is smaller.

IMO that's the worst thing some people had asked for. There is no shortage whatsoever of IEMs that are small and sound bad. It looked fairly obvious that the i3's size was also part of its sound. I was hoping they'd get bigger :)
I think the I3s are special and I agree with you that the size might have an influence on the sound.

I do not think the I3s should be discontinued. To my ears they are special and fit very well. Above all in the current TRI range it is helpful to have IEMs which introduce a new TRI buyer to the brand that does not cost a fortune....I suppose the I4s and Starseas will be the entry models.

Hopefully, the I3 pro would make me eat my words.

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #2,498 of 3,867
Dear families, the Dragon Boat Festival is coming soon. We will have a break from June 12th--June 14th. Products are sold normally but the shipment will have some delay. Please understand!

Happy holidays mate!!

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #2,499 of 3,867
Hmmm, the i3 is am iem I'm interested in. I've wanted to try a planar for a while. Was going to look at to see if any offers in upcoming sale.
The question is do I grab one if I see a good deal or hold off for the pro.

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,500 of 3,867
Hmmm, the i3 is am iem I'm interested in. I've wanted to try a planar for a while. Was going to look at to see if any offers in upcoming sale.
The question is do I grab one if I see a good deal or hold off for the pro.
My guess is that there will be a few available during the sale, but only a guess.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #2,503 of 3,867
I haven't seen the I3 pro :sob:
When you get any information about it and can make announcements, let us know! I'm sure there will be quite a few people who would like to purchase an i3 with a more mature tuning. I know I would certainly be interested. Have a nice holiday!

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #2,504 of 3,867

Aurora.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back