TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
May 12, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #2,284 of 3,867
I have to say the subtle specs of gold on the dark face of the Starlights look wonderfully understated, which works for me. The Starseas are a gem at the price, and I quite like their swirls of colour.
If you like understated designs, you will love MEST JP:
1620853035993.png

That UM case is great, unlike the Starlight/Starsea cases :slight_frown:
Even at Starsea prices we deserve better, not to mention Starlight...
These cases are unusable.

May 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #2,285 of 3,867
If you like understated designs, you will love MEST JP:

That UM case is great, unlike the Starlight/Starsea cases :slight_frown:
Even at Starsea prices we deserve better, not to mention Starlight...
These cases are unusable.

The UM MEST does look good and their cases look like they can carry a lot more.

The difficulty for me is that I can better justify the price of the TRI offerings for the quality of tuning, more than I can for similar tuning of many IEM manufacturers. I have not heard the EE Odin but, even if they sound 20% better than the Starlights ( but my suspicion is a lower percentage, if at all better) I feel less wasteful. That goes for the U12T against the Starseas and the list goes on.

Far be it from me to say so, but I bet someone at KBEAR/TRI knows the sound signature they are trying to emulate. I may be wrong (because I have not heard the others) but I think TRI succeed in their quest to emulate the best in quality for a lower price more than many manufacturers who try to emulate the best.

Please do not misunderstand me, if one can afford the most expensive, the relative cost between the two is irrelevant, so why not get what is perceived as the best irrespective of price. However, for my pocket TRI makes it easier to hear the 80% to 90% (maybe even parity in) sound quality, I can afford to justify.

In any case, if the wife knew the real price (TRI or not) my justification will be no justification, I might be homeless.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2,286 of 3,867
The UM MEST does look good and their cases look like they can carry a lot more.

The difficulty for me is that I can better justify the price of the TRI offerings for the quality of tuning, more than I can for similar tuning of many IEM manufacturers. I have not heard the EE Odin but, even if they sound 20% better than the Starlights ( but my suspicion is a lower percentage, if at all better) I feel less wasteful. That goes for the U12T against the Starseas and the list goes on.

Far be it from me to say so, but I bet someone at KBEAR/TRI knows the sound signature they are trying to emulate. I may be wrong (because I have not heard the others) but I think TRI succeed in their quest to emulate the best in quality for a lower price more than many manufacturers who try to emulate the best.

Please do not misunderstand me, if one can afford the most expensive, the relative cost between the two is irrelevant, so why not get what is perceived as the best irrespective of price. However, for my pocket TRI makes it easier to hear the 80% to 90% (maybe even parity in) sound quality, I can afford to justify.

In any case, if the wife knew the real price (TRI or not) my justification will be no justification, I might be homeless.
Well said! Yeah, wives don't usually realize our legitimate needs for proper audio equipment. Heh, but my daughter is already an audiophile. She refuses to use anything lower than mid-fi. She is in high school. She is frugal with most other areas, though. :)

May 12, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #2,287 of 3,867
Well said! Yeah, wives don't usually realize our legitimate needs for proper audio equipment. Heh, but my daughter is already an audiophile. She refuses to use anything lower than mid-fi. She is in high school. She is frugal with most other areas, though. :)
That's what I like. Teach them to love music early!

May 12, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #2,288 of 3,867
That's what I like. Teach them to love music early!

Haha it is not good to introduce TOTL or even midfi gear to aspiring audiophiles too early!

Once they have heard the good stuff, it is hard to "unhear" them, and most budget gear will not live up to the sound! Sometimes the journey is as important (for myself at least) as the end point, and I've no regrets exploring all the different budget and midfi gear. There's no endgame for me in this hobby as there's so many new IEMs to discover every month.

But yeah agreed with you that there's mega diminishing returns in this hobby when we go from budget -> midfi -> TOTL. Perhaps for myself the sweet spot would be the midfi area as even some TOTL sets I've tried have weaknesses in some area, and we are talking about maybe 10 - 30% improvement for 10 times the price.

May 12, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #2,289 of 3,867
Haha it is not good to introduce TOTL or even midfi gear to aspiring audiophiles too early!

Once they have heard the good stuff, it is hard to "unhear" them, and most budget gear will not live up to the sound! Sometimes the journey is as important (for myself at least) as the end point, and I've no regrets exploring all the different budget and midfi gear. There's no endgame for me in this hobby as there's so many new IEMs to discover every month.

But yeah agreed with you that there's mega diminishing returns in this hobby when we go from budget -> midfi -> TOTL. Perhaps for myself the sweet spot would be the midfi area as even some TOTL sets I've tried have weaknesses in some area, and we are talking about maybe 10 - 30% improvement for 10 times the price.
Yeah, my daughter handed over all her lesser gear to me. She said, "after this (DUNU DK-2001), tDon't even think I will listen to these." (sub-$100 gear). Proud dad saying, "that's my daughter"!

BTW, she is a big Danganropa fan! Monokuma is her hero!:wink:

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #2,291 of 3,867
Aww, You are dragging us into the world of bullet IEMs! Price? And Frequency Response?
I just ordered Tanchijim Tanya, same bullet IEM type already and now this Tri brand one coming up..!

The benefit of bullet type from my experience using Final E500 is that, it’s small and light, fits to smaller ears, and you can side sleep with these, great sleeping bud.
[edit] oh, wait, If I’m not mistaken, the 2pin qdc type connector is straight out from the bottom part of the bullet... with connecter stciking out, this will not be side sleep bud🥲

you know bullet type benefit is that it’s small enough to fit in your ear canals so that even if your head is on pillow with ears facing it, it doesn’t pressure the ear.

Also, the pin connector sticking out of ear does not look good, believe me , I have Etymotic ER4S.

Isn’t it too late to make Neon’s connector direction to upward or downward, not backward?
Like Final E500;
59FFFDEF-059D-4591-86B5-FE837A1F7512.jpeg
You will know the price soon! Neon will be released in this month!!

Its frequency response: 20-20kHz

May 13, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #2,293 of 3,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back