TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
May 10, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #2,266 of 3,867
Looks gorgeous!

We hope to hear your impressions soon.

So how does it compare to MEST JP?

+1. As MEST MKII owner, I’m interested. Debating myself if want try on Starlight even with Thieaudio Monarch on hand. But Starsea’s delighted tuning is whispering me something that TRI engineer got a talent in tuning...maybe even better than the one for Monarch/MEST.

I don't know when I'm going to listen to them yet. I'm glad the shipping saga is over, but I'm just not as excited about them as I was when I bought them.
This experience cooled me off a bit, and in the meantime I got other new toys that require my attention :relaxed:
Maybe I'll put them on burn-in for now.

May 10, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,269 of 3,867
May 10, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,270 of 3,867
I don't know when I'm going to listen to them yet. I'm glad the shipping saga is over, but I'm just not as excited about them as I was when I bought them.
This experience cooled me off a bit, and in the meantime I got other new toys that require my attention :relaxed:
Maybe I'll put them on burn-in for now.
I hope time will make it easier for you to get back to them.

May 10, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #2,271 of 3,867
All I can say is to quote @AmericanSpirit:

"TRI engineer got a talent in tuning."!

These require lots of power and they make good use of the power they demand.

These are seriously energetic when required. The sound hits you like you just walked into a concert or concerto. Then, on the very next track, in the true meaning of piano forte, they are so dynamically competent that they do soft and tender beautifully, just gently caress your ears.

There is a reason why the frequency graph for the Starshines is so flat....nothing is held back.

What missing bass? Missing dynamic driver, fine, that is shrugged off by the Starshines and they make the most out of the Knowles bass driver.....in fact they make the most of every driver. The bass is Deep and viseral when called on deliver low end joy! The bass quality is exceptional and if I may borrow the marketing blurb.....exquisite!

As you would expect, the Sonion electrostatic drivers are not shy and they handle the highs with no evidence of strain...just beautifully.

I am not sure how long your battery will last on your DAC/Amp or DAP, but I assure you that you will have fun in that time!

I was thinking, maybe I ought to let them burn-in for a while maybe overnight, but I think not....these drivers will have to settle in my ears (if they need to settle at all).
Have to ask, do you miss DD timbre after listening to Starshine. Which have more natural BA timbre, Starlight or Starshine?😁

May 10, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #2,272 of 3,867
I hope time will make it easier for you to get back to them.
Hope so. It takes a lot of time and effort to compare an IEM with other IEMs, and measure it properly.
It's hard to do without being excited about it.

Currently I could only motivate myself to photograph the Starlight. BTW, here is a better picture, in natural light and without reflections:
1620696087233.png

Compared to Starlight, Starsea looks quite cheap:
1620696165317.png

Even though I wiped both IEMs, Starsea looks like it's covered in dust.
It's not very surprising, even pictures on AliExpress show the same effect:
1620696362253.png

Starlight looks as good as UM MEST JP, hopefully it will match its SQ as well.

May 10, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #2,273 of 3,867
Have to ask, do you miss DD timbre after listening to Starshine. Which have more natural BA timbre, Starlight or Starshine?😁
Initially I played classical music on the Starshines to try gauge the upper registers. One of the classical music tracks had a cello, which gave me the first impression of the bass and I was pleasantly surprised at how good the BA bass is on the Starshines. They surprised me with each bass test track I played.

For me bass is instrumental (pun not intended, but apt) in the quality of timbre and the full sonic spectrum helps us in determining space, size, distance and direction, which we often refer to as sound stage. That perception, real or imagined, has always been best delivered by Dynamic Drivers, in my view. It is amazing what our ears do!

Here is the rub, I keep trying bass tracks thinking the BA drivers will not do it quite like a DD would, but the knowles BA bass has not disappointed YET. I am in the honeymoon period so it might yet happen.

For now though, I think BA timbre has been very good. Sound stage, on the other hand has been ok. Unlike DD bass, the BA bass seems to have less impact on the perception of space, size, distance and direction, than it has on the perception of the tonal accuracy of instruments, to my ears.....I stress, so far.

My Starlights have been away from home for a bit. I hope to get them back soon to compare them with the Starshines. It would be wrong to do it from memory.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #2,274 of 3,867
Hope so. It takes a lot of time and effort to compare an IEM with other IEMs, and measure it properly.
It's hard to do without being excited about it.

Currently I could only motivate myself to photograph the Starlight. BTW, here is a better picture, in natural light and without reflections:
1620696087233.png

Compared to Starlight, Starsea looks quite cheap:
1620696165317.png

Even though I wiped both IEMs, Starsea looks like it's covered in dust.
It's not very surprising, even pictures on AliExpress show the same effect:
1620696362253.png

Starlight looks as good as UM MEST JP, hopefully it will match its SQ as well.
I also struggle to review anything when I am not inspired. I am with you on that.

I was listening to the TRI I3s and comparing them to the MT300, recently and all I can say after that is, if the IEMs have it, "it ain't going nowhere".

When the time is right, the Starlights will be waiting to tell you what they are capable of doing.....or not, as the case may be, you are the judge, but your mood is key.

I have to say the subtle specs of gold on the dark face of the Starlights look wonderfully understated, which works for me. The Starseas are a gem at the price, and I quite like their swirls of colour.

May 11, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,278 of 3,867
What does a Neon light look like? The one below?
😉
😉
😉

Aww, You are dragging us into the world of bullet IEMs! Price? And Frequency Response?
I just ordered Tanchijim Tanya, same bullet IEM type already and now this Tri brand one coming up..!

The benefit of bullet type from my experience using Final E500 is that, it’s small and light, fits to smaller ears, and you can side sleep with these, great sleeping bud.
[edit] oh, wait, If I’m not mistaken, the 2pin qdc type connector is straight out from the bottom part of the bullet... with connecter stciking out, this will not be side sleep bud🥲

you know bullet type benefit is that it’s small enough to fit in your ear canals so that even if your head is on pillow with ears facing it, it doesn’t pressure the ear.

Also, the pin connector sticking out of ear does not look good, believe me , I have Etymotic ER4S.

Isn’t it too late to make Neon’s connector direction to upward or downward, not backward?
Like Final E500;
59FFFDEF-059D-4591-86B5-FE837A1F7512.jpeg

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,280 of 3,867
So... to name the elephant in the room.. from a recent buyer of the starlight:

is the starshine superior to the starlight?
I feel like a huge elephant 🐘 at this very moment......thanks....I love you too! 😍

I am not a believer in price being the sole determinant of quality, sound signature and mood play a major part in our preferences.

Listening to the Starshines I can safely say that the tuning on these is more in line with the TRI I3 and TRI i4, in that they are best described as analogue and energetic sound, not the analytically focused sound signature of the Starlights and Starseas.

On the Star...shines (lots of stars to remember) you get that shimmer, that extra zing up top - that little extra reverberation - which to my ears are the analogue sound.

I have always loved my vinyl records so I really like the Starshines and I can confidently say that I love the Starlights and Starseas for what they do. Am I coping out? No, these are a different sound signature.....I3 on steroids is what comes to mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back