TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Nov 6, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #1,216 of 3,867
Reveal 1
🤩
🤩

One pair TRI I3 with 2Pin connector (Price: US $169) were chosen as one of the Giveaway models of the 11.11 BIG Draw Event hold in KB EAR Official Club!!! Want to get the gifts? Just join in the club!!
What are the another three models then??? Let's continue to guess!!
More information will be updated! Just stay tuned!!
😉
😉

tri i3--2pin(1).jpg

Nov 6, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,217 of 3,867
Reveal 1
🤩
🤩

One pair TRI I3 with 2Pin connector (Price: US $169) were chosen as one of the Giveaway models of the 11.11 BIG Draw Event hold in KB EAR Official Club!!! Want to get the gifts? Just join in the club!!
What are the another three models then??? Let's continue to guess!!
😉
😉

tri i3--2pin(1).jpg
How do we join the Club?

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #1,219 of 3,867
Reveal 2 :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
One pair KBEAR Believe with Pure Beryllium Diaphragm (Price: US $125-129) were chosen as one of the Giveaway models of the 11.11 BIG Draw Event hold in KB EAR Official Club!!! Want to get the gifts? Just participate the activity in KB EAR Official Club!!

What are the rest two models??? Let's continue to guess!!

model 2-believe.png

Nov 7, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,220 of 3,867
Is it applicable to the specific use case of painting low impedance IEM's with high output impedance amps. like an OTL? Any predicted impact of IEM's sound signature when used?
@IEMusic is correct, but more specifically it has to do with multi driver setups and the fact that each driver has a unique impedance curve so it will truly vary from pair to pair and is quite unpredictable. For instance, the It04 3ba+1dd hybrid sounded almost exactly the same on the impedance adapter as the stock R6, but another 4ba+1dd and 2ba+1dd hybrids I have sound totally different without it.

Single driver setups should all sound normal as far as I understand (TBT, I'm not sure i believe that one completely based on my own experience with the Hiby R6).

Impedance adapters work by essentially trading power for lower impedance at a given ratio. But they will generally complete restore the original tuning.

So you do have a trade-off there. You'll be pushing the amp harder to achieve the same volume, so you may be trading some fidelity as most amps ratings "deteriorate" so to speak after a certain output level. The offset to this is that a lot of high impedance gear has a lot of power to begin with and may have plenty to spare.

It's a design choice that seems to be basically disappearing from new gear though, especially on gear people would buy to possibly use any IEMs on.

Nov 7, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,222 of 3,867
With a balanced output Fiio BTR5 would I have problems driving TRI I3? I think it's powerful enough or not? Under $ 200 is it one of the best iems?
It will drive it, no problem. You will get a musical sound, for sure. It won't be tinny or anaemic but may sound slightly congested, if you have a more powerful source / amp with which to compare.

Nov 7, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,223 of 3,867
With a balanced output Fiio BTR5 would I have problems driving TRI I3? I think it's powerful enough or not? Under $ 200 is it one of the best iems?
BTR5 2.5 TRRS balanced --> I3 is exactly what I use, and it is superb. it never seems to strain for power.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,226 of 3,867
24 hours impressions of the Tri Starsea.

Look and feel:
Nice smooth resin shells which are smaller than the Ear Potatoes and the Starlights. They are light but feel well built. They have a 6 strand cable which splits to 3 on either side.

Isolation:
The Starseas have frighteningly good isolation, in 24 hours I have been taken totally by surprise 3 times, good thing I did not spill hot water on my hand while making coffee this morning!

The tips I used are the Misodiko silicone sheathed foams.

Now to the most important thing,

The sound

Dislikes at this stage
:

Thankfully, only one dislike, which is a certain tinge to the sound which makes it sound artificial, in other words, not the natural timbre of the instruments. Again thankfully this has, so far, been limited to a couple of tracks. The Starseas may be source picky.

Likes: As has been said by others before, the switches DO work!

Both switches up: The sound in this setting is very intimate and sparse. It is like being in a smallish space with the musicians near you, the bass appears to be less pronounced and the mids appear to be more pronounced as compared to the "switches down" setting. The highs are clear and detailed with a crisp and airy flavour. Great on some tracks.

Both switches down: The stage seems slightly bigger as the bass increases in weight and body. By no means a huge stage but wider than the "switches up" setting. The mids are more recessed but with good definition and tone, in other words you don't lose much in the mids, they just not as prominent as on the "switches up" setting. As above, the highs remain crisp and detailed.

Generally I get the impression the Starseas are competent near reference earphones which appear to be source sensitive, and may not colour bad recordings but will reward you when you give them good recordings. The settings merely enhance what you input.

Points raised by others:

Bass: These are bass capable not bass baias, so if you input heavy bass tracks, you get heavy bass output, no colour no enhancement. Certainly not basshead earphones and not as bassy as the TRI I3s.

Distortion at high volumes: Using my phone with BTR5, I could not replicate the issue, simply because my ears could not take any more volume after 33 (60 max). Sorry, I am volume sensitive.

I have yet to try the other settings, but so far they seem to be likable. Time will tell.

Nov 8, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #1,227 of 3,867
24 hours impressions of the Tri Starsea.

Look and feel:
Nice smooth resin shells which are smaller than the Ear Potatoes and the Starlights. They are light but feel well built. They have a 6 strand cable which splits to 3 on either side.

Isolation:
The Starseas have frighteningly good isolation, in 24 hours I have been taken totally by surprise 3 times, good thing I did not spill hot water on my hand while making coffee this morning!

The tips I used are the Misodiko silicone sheathed foams.

Now to the most important thing,

The sound

Dislikes at this stage
:

Thankfully, only one dislike, which is a certain tinge to the sound which makes it sound artificial, in other words, not the natural timbre of the instruments. Again thankfully this has, so far, been limited to a couple of tracks. The Starseas may be source picky.

Likes: As has been said by others before, the switches DO work!

Both switches up: The sound in this setting is very intimate and sparse. It is like being in a smallish space with the musicians near you, the bass appears to be less pronounced and the mids appear to be more pronounced as compared to the "switches down" setting. The highs are clear and detailed with a crisp and airy flavour. Great on some tracks.

Both switches down: The stage seems slightly bigger as the bass increases in weight and body. By no means a huge stage but wider than the "switches up" setting. The mids are more recessed but with good definition and tone, in other words you don't lose much in the mids, they just not as prominent as on the "switches up" setting. As above, the highs remain crisp and detailed.

Generally I get the impression the Starseas are competent near reference earphones which appear to be source sensitive, and may not colour bad recordings but will reward you when you give them good recordings. The settings merely enhance what you input.

Points raised by others:

Bass: These are bass capable not bass baias, so if you input heavy bass tracks, you get heavy bass output, no colour no enhancement. Certainly not basshead earphones and not as bassy as the TRI I3s.

Distortion at high volumes: Using my phone with BTR5, I could not replicate the issue, simply because my ears could not take any more volume after 33 (60 max). Sorry, I am volume sensitive.

I have yet to try the other settings, but so far they seem to be likable. Time will tell.
Good to see we have a fellow traveller floating in the Starsea. They take about a good week to brain burn in, and possibly some empirical burn in. I used the balanced setting all switches up to ON/KE as too many settings takes the mind away from the main focus of how good the best setting is. Giving your preferred tuning some time is my recommendation as the perception of, stage, imaging and resolution begin to separate themselves with more listening. Good with classical, jazz IMHO.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #1,228 of 3,867
Good to see we have a fellow traveller floating in the Starsea. They take about a good week to brain burn in, and possibly some empirical burn in. I used the balanced setting all switches up to ON/KE as too many settings takes the mind away from the main focus of how good the best setting is. Giving your preferred tuning some time is my recommendation as the perception of, stage, imaging and resolution begin to separate themselves with more listening. Good with classical, jazz IMHO.

You are absolutely right, I need to give them time. In any case, even at this early stage, classical music and jazz sound great on them. We will see how they develop with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back