TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 13, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #376 of 3,867
Both are not most detailed IEMs but still have very good details, mid frequency details slightly better on i3 due their planar driver, but higher frequency details is more heard on H40. But differences are subtle.

Soundstage is wide on both, but H40 is obviously wider than i3, but i3 have slightly more depth. Layering can be feel on both but not sharp, still like grouping (this is normal on this segmenylt i think - nowhere near IER M7) with H40 having more air in between instruments
...I’m still undecided if it would be wise to substitute my i3 with h40 or legacy 3...or going far away to some est+ba+DVD hybrid instead (like Tri starlight, shuoer ej07, kinera nanna...)

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #377 of 3,867
...I’m still undecided if it would be wise to substitute my i3 with h40 or legacy 3...or going far away to some est+ba+DVD hybrid instead (like Tri starlight, shuoer ej07, kinera nanna...)
Meh, I'm a total non-believer in price tiers after having several TOTL sets.

You might convince yourself you hear better separation or more detail, but the I3 to anything else is basically a sidegrade IMO when using EQ/DSP. They're an extremely capable set that you can tweak to your liking.

Some very, very expensive sets might be marginal upgrades (bass mostly) but diminishing returns is a huge problem. Until someone makes a DD (larger than the I3)+planar+est, I'm not sure there is anything out there is really feel is a TRUE step up.....

I will say, the thieaudio L3 is a very very interesting sounding set though. I've not heard anything quite like it before. I can't EQ any other pair I own, including the I3, too have a similar sound. It has a certain rawness to it that I cannot replicate nor hear in any other set. If you like the sound of live music in a small club, it sounds the most like that sounds than I've ever heard. Very Raw, but very real sounding.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #378 of 3,867

You might convince yourself you hear better separation or more detail, but the I3 to anything else is basically a sidegrade IMO when using EQ/DSP. They're an extremely capable set that you can tweak to your liking.

Some very, very expensive sets might be marginal upgrades (bass mostly) but diminishing returns is a huge problem. Until someone makes a DD (larger than the I3)+planar+est, I'm not sure there is anything out there is really feel is a TRUE step up.....

Gotta agree with this. I've heard a few TOTL sets and felt yeah they are marginal improvements and refinements compared to some midfi sets, but we are talking about paying 10 times more for a 10% improvement. Great diminishing returns involved. And I realized some of these TOTL "branded" sets are actually made in China anyway, some even contain Bellsing drivers whereas our CHIFI may use better Knowles drivers: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/cxqlje/knowles_files_claim_with_us_trade_commission_to/

I understand some may wanna chase the last 10% improvement at all costs, so to each their own, but I would rather dabble in a few budget/midfi sets to get different sound signatures, YMMV. And it is likely a big global recession is coming due to covid (if it hasn't already come in some countries), so I think the TOTL companies are gonna be in for some hard times this year and next.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #379 of 3,867

What IEMs are your favorite?

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #380 of 3,867
You are japanese and live in japan right? Get IER M7 from e earphone, the used one should be not expensive by now. If you are a mid and vocal lover, m7 is perfect, entry level TOTL for you at bargain price. M7 have forwarded mids, leaner bass but much better in quality and speed (great BA bass), very smooth yet detailed, very decent note weight, and the strength point is the imaging, layering, soundstage. Not as wide as H40 but more "correct" in every aspect. Precise. I believe its very easy to audition M7 and M9 in japan.
But if you want to try "newer tech" i suggest trying IEM with estat instead than selling your i3 to get H40 or Thie Audio L3 because maybe there are improvements but aren't that big jump from i3.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #381 of 3,867
What IEMs are your favorite?
TRI I3, IMR Rah, thie L3 (right now anyway, but this one probably won't stand the test of time, it's more of an oddity), uf isso14, tfz king pro, to name a few.

I think a number of these will stand the test of time.... Others get eclipsed. Bqeyz bq3 comes to mind as one that was eclipsed by something like the I3. It has a very interesting sound to it that was unique at the time, but only for a little while.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #382 of 3,867
TRI I3, IMR Rah, thie L3 (right now anyway, but this one probably won't stand the test of time, it's more of an oddity), uf isso14, tfz king pro, to name a few.

I think a number of these will stand the test of time.... Others get eclipsed. Bqeyz bq3 comes to mind as one that was eclipsed by something like the I3. It has a very interesting sound to it that was unique at the time, but only for a little while.
I have a Legend X, LCDi4, and an RHA CL2. I am pretty satisfied with them, but that IMRRah looks intriguing.
Quite an unusual assembly of Drivers.

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #383 of 3,867
I have a Legend X, LCDi4, and an RHA CL2. I am pretty satisfied with them, but that IMRRah looks intriguing.
Quite an unusual assembly of Drivers.
I had the legend X on tour and I loved it. The RHA CL2 has basically been replaced by the TRI I3 and Rah in my arsenal but it holds a special place in my heart. Haven't listened to it in months since it just sounds bass anemic in comparison. Same goes for my fearless S8f, without a DD, there's just something missing. The CL2 does an admirable job for a planar, but still it's just not the same....

The Rah can definitely rumble with the legend X. And the semi open configuration and no crossover means it still sounds quite different from the I3.

Honestly, I'm convinced planars just do vocals best.....

Gonna be hard to knock me off that horse.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #384 of 3,867
I had the legend X on tour and I loved it. The RHA CL2 has basically been replaced by the TRI I3 and Rah in my arsenal but it holds a special place in my heart. Haven't listened to it in months since it just sounds bass anemic in comparison. Same goes for my fearless S8f, without a DD, there's just something missing. The CL2 does an admirable job for a planar, but still it's just not the same....

The Rah can definitely rumble with the legend X. And the semi open configuration and no crossover means it still sounds quite different from the I3.

Honestly, I'm convinced planars just do vocals best.....

Gonna be hard to knock me off that horse.
Agreed. Planars do Vocals the best.
Legend X and CL2 get the most playtime for me, and the LCD i4 is brought out for special occasions :)
How's clarity on both sets in comparison to the Legend and the CL2?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #385 of 3,867

I will say, the thieaudio L3 is a very very interesting sounding set though. I've not heard anything quite like it before. I can't EQ any other pair I own, including the I3, too have a similar sound. It has a certain rawness to it that I cannot replicate nor hear in any other set. If you like the sound of live music in a small club, it sounds the most like that sounds than I've ever heard. Very Raw, but very real sounding.
How would you compare i3 and L3?

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #386 of 3,867
You are japanese and live in japan right? Get IER M7 from e earphone, the used one should be not expensive by now. If you are a mid and vocal lover, m7 is perfect, entry level TOTL for you at bargain price. M7 have forwarded mids, leaner bass but much better in quality and speed (great BA bass), very smooth yet detailed, very decent note weight, and the strength point is the imaging, layering, soundstage. Not as wide as H40 but more "correct" in every aspect. Precise. I believe its very easy to audition M7 and M9 in japan.
But if you want to try "newer tech" i suggest trying IEM with estat instead than selling your i3 to get H40 or Thie Audio L3 because maybe there are improvements but aren't that big jump from i3.
I do live in Japan but I’m not fond of Sony...
Anyhow, what EST IEM would you suggest as an upgrade to i3?

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #387 of 3,867
I do live in Japan but I’m not fond of Sony...
Anyhow, what EST IEM would you suggest as an upgrade to i3?

Oh i see.. About Estat IEM i have very little experience, so im sorry i cant give good recommendation for that.

I just have 2 hours session just now with i3 and H40. I think my previous comments about them just in line. So the H40 is slightly upgrade for me, but dont expect a great upgrade.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #388 of 3,867
How would you compare i3 and L3?
Apples and oranges.... The I3 is a refined, smooth concert in a well equipped theatre that polishes the music like you expect from well produced and well recorded music.

The L3 is like being in a bar with the band and their road equipment. You definitely feel like you're right there in the music, but the sound is so raw it can be harsh sounding and fatiguing. The L3 takes recordings and makes them sound like live music in a bar.... Very strange.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #389 of 3,867
Oh i see.. About Estat IEM i have very little experience, so im sorry i cant give good recommendation for that.

I just have 2 hours session just now with i3 and H40. I think my previous comments about them just in line. So the H40 is slightly upgrade for me, but dont expect a great upgrade.
Clear...and how would you compare M7, i3 and H40? I am now intrigued to avoid always turning back my shoulders to Sony...

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #390 of 3,867
Apples and oranges.... The I3 is a refined, smooth concert in a well equipped theatre that polishes the music like you expect from well produced and well recorded music.

The L3 is like being in a bar with the band and their road equipment. You definitely feel like you're right there in the music, but the sound is so raw it can be harsh sounding and fatiguing. The L3 takes recordings and makes them sound like live music in a bar.... Very strange.
Ok, thanks. Not for me then. I prefer whole sound (maybe leaning on warm side) wide soundstage, good instruments separation and good amount of details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back