TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Oct 27, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #3,737 of 3,867
Does m15 have a punchy low?

M15 is dead neutral, it doesn't overly emphasize the bass. It is kind of "reference" and will convey the IEM's sonic characteristics.

What I like about it, is that it doesn't drain much power, and doesn't get hot. Extremely good technicalities that can hit around the same quality as a midFI DAP. Also has high/low gain options and 3.5mm single-ended/4.4mm balanced options. It has low output impedance and can power anything from high sensitive fussy IEMs to more demanding high impedance headphones.

Maybe only thing is it doesn't have an independent volume controller, and some folks find EMI noise on certain smart phones (none with my Vivo phone though).

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #3,738 of 3,867
Shanling UA3 (a dongle dac) if you like a touch of added bass, good Shanling tuning.

New Tempotec Variations V6 (DAP) you can get it on Indiegogo for 279USD. Check out the reviews here and on YouTube, it seems to me to be a very good deal for a DAP.
Okay, thanks for the suggestion 😁

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #3,739 of 3,867
M15 is dead neutral, it doesn't overly emphasize the bass. It is kind of "reference" and will convey the IEM's sonic characteristics.

What I like about it, is that it doesn't drain much power, and doesn't get hot. Extremely good technicalities that can hit around the same quality as a midFI DAP. Also has high/low gain options and 3.5mm single-ended/4.4mm balanced options. It has low output impedance and can power anything from high sensitive fussy IEMs to more demanding high impedance headphones.

Maybe only thing is it doesn't have an independent volume controller, and some folks find EMI noise on certain smart phones (none with my Vivo phone though).
Okay, thanks 😁

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #3,740 of 3,867
Oct 27, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #3,741 of 3,867
Are there any dongle/dac/dap recommendations under 350$ for my Tri I3 Pro?

I use FiiO BTR5 with TRI I3 OG. There is a BTR7 now as well.

Even a Fiio BTR3K can push TRI I3 Pro well beyond comfortable listening levels on SE. Trying that combo out with Queen now. Yes planar IEMs are power hungry compared to other IEMs, but a lot of these DAPs, DAC/Amps and BT receivers will drive full sized cans. You always have the option of switching to balanced anyway. :ksc75smile:

Oct 27, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #3,743 of 3,867
Even a Fiio BTR3K can push TRI I3 Pro well beyond comfortable listening levels on SE. Trying that combo out with Queen now. Yes planar IEMs are power hungry compared to other IEMs, but a lot of these DAPs, DAC/Amps and BT receivers will drive full sized cans. You always have the option of switching to balanced anyway. :ksc75smile:
Since I've already bought a 4.4mm balanced cable, maybe I'll look for a dongle that supports 4.4mm balanced

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #3,746 of 3,867
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #3,747 of 3,867
does btr7 support dsd playback?
This is what was Fiio says:

The BTR7 will be equipped with a XMOS XUF208 chip that gives it the ability to work as USB DAC/Amplifier, which will support sampling rates up to 32 bit/384kHz and Native DSD256.

Edit: The BTR7 is a very good device which requires some software issues sorted.

I used the BTR5 for about 3 years and I still use it (and I mean heavy use) it is good and robust. If you are looking to use 4.4 get a 2.5mm (male) to 4.4mm (female) adapter (but that increases your cost a bit more).

If you want to keep your spending low for a robust and reliable device, the BTR5 is a very good option, as @LoryWiv suggested. The BTR7 is more powerful with similar sound signature, has 4.4mm option but increases your expenditure.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #3,748 of 3,867
This is what was Fiio says:

The BTR7 will be equipped with a XMOS XUF208 chip that gives it the ability to work as USB DAC/Amplifier, which will support sampling rates up to 32 bit/384kHz and Native DSD256.

Edit: The BTR7 is a very good device which requires some software issues sorted.

I used the BTR5 for about 3 years and I still use it (and I mean heavy use) it is good and robust. If you are looking to use 4.4 get a 2.5mm (male) to 4.4mm (female) adapter (but that increases your cost a bit more).

If you want to keep your spending low for a robust and reliable device, the BTR5 is a very good option, as @LoryWiv suggested. The BTR7 is more powerful with similar sound signature, has 4.4mm option but increases your expenditure.
Okay, thanks

I have tried shanling ua5, up5, and hiby r5
I'm quite interested in the R5.
The UA5 have almost the same sound as the R5.

However, I'm still too curious about BTR7😂

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #3,749 of 3,867
Okay, thanks

I have tried shanling ua5, up5, and hiby r5
I'm quite interested in the R5.
The UA5 have almost the same sound as the R5.

However, I'm still too curious about BTR7😂
On the Hiby R5, I am told it sounds good, the only issue is the battery dies on you all too soon and has to be replaced. This report from one R5 owner and multiple Hiby owners.

The BTR7 is worth getting but you have to put up with software irritations until Fiio sorts them out, and they will, based on my experience with the BTR5, the BTR7 may have similar reliability, which is not bad at all.

Good luck with your eventual choice.

Oct 29, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #3,750 of 3,867
On the Hiby R5, I am told it sounds good, the only issue is the battery dies on you all too soon and has to be replaced. This report from one R5 owner and multiple Hiby owners.

The BTR7 is worth getting but you have to put up with software irritations until Fiio sorts them out, and they will, based on my experience with the BTR5, the BTR7 may have similar reliability, which is not bad at all.

Good luck with your eventual choice.
Thanks a lot chris 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back