TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Oct 12, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #3,723 of 3,867
its interesting that TRI is going for more agrassive tuning since even the starlight which is quite bright is actually pretty relexed sounding, unless wolfram cable is part of the tuning and the boosted 6kish(I think?) area is there to give bite to a otherwise every smooth sounding cable that removes some roughness to the vocals.

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #3,724 of 3,867
its interesting that TRI is going for more agrassive tuning since even the starlight which is quite bright is actually pretty relexed sounding, unless wolfram cable is part of the tuning and the boosted 6kish(I think?) area is there to give bite to a otherwise every smooth sounding cable that removes some roughness to the vocals.

I do not do graphs, I do ears!

Much though I respect the effort to determine certain aspects of sound by use of technology as opposed to our time honoured body, I do not believe that this aspect of technology (graphs) has come anywhere close to replicating what our ears can do.

Why all this in response to an innocent point, to that I first apologise to you @llysender, this is not a dig at you, it is my beef. I have heard a reviewer once say, he would not listen to a set because of some 3k, or 5k or 8k peak.... 🤔 what are our ears for? You have the earphones with you, your ears work fine, but the machine tells you how it sounds? God help me!

I have also heard another reviewer say, the Starlights had a 5k or 8k peak, he then goes on to say....."can't you hear it....are you deaf?" 😳 That same reviewer a few months later says, "my ears are sensitive to that region." Was it because on that occasion he wanted to maintain his relationship with that manufacturer of that set?

The inability or, in my view, the tolerance or lack of sensitivity to those peaks is sometimes attributed to age. I can hear a mouse, a dog whisper (a bit exaggerated) and my poor neighbours' conversations in their own home (granted we live in cardboard thin Victorian houses inLondon).....and I did not recently get out of my nappies. I do not hear those peaks or rather I rephrase, my ears are not sensitive to that peak. The premise of that statement or question, "are you deaf" is that their hearing is perfect as opposed to different! There is nothing wrong with the Starlights or the other set, his statement, "I am sensitive to that region" (or words to that effect) said about the other set is the fact, but the words change when they like the manufacturer!

We all have different anatomy and hear slightly differently, using tech to explain what you hear is one thing, hiding behind tech (which has a long way to go to replicate our ears) is another.

Sorry, @llysender, I just had to get that off my chest!

I assure you there is nothing wrong with the TRI Starlights or with the ears of those who can tolerate those "peaks" some ears are tolerant and some are sensitive to certain sounds.

I probably did not address your point at all but just a nod in that direction, I have yet to use the Wolfram cable.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #3,725 of 3,867
I do not do graphs, I do ears!

Much though I respect the effort to determine certain aspects of sound by use of technology as opposed to our time honoured body, I do not believe that this aspect of technology (graphs) has come anywhere close to replicating what our ears can do.

Why all this in response to an innocent point, to that I first apologise to you @llysender, this is not a dig at you, it is my beef. I have heard a reviewer once say, he would not listen to a set because of some 3k, or 5k or 8k peak.... 🤔 what are our ears for? You have the earphones with you, your ears work fine, but the machine tells you how it sounds? God help me!

I have also heard another reviewer say, the Starlights had a 5k or 8k peak, he then goes on to say....."can't you hear it....are you deaf?" 😳 That same reviewer a few months later says, "my ears are sensitive to that region." Was it because on that occasion he wanted to maintain his relationship with that manufacturer of that set?

The inability or, in my view, the tolerance or lack of sensitivity to those peaks is sometimes attributed to age. I can hear a mouse, a dog whisper (a bit exaggerated) and my poor neighbours' conversations in their own home (granted we live in cardboard thin Victorian houses inLondon).....and I did not recently get out of my nappies. I do not hear those peaks or rather I rephrase, my ears are not sensitive to that peak. The premise of that statement or question, "are you deaf" is that their hearing is perfect as opposed to different! There is nothing wrong with the Starlights or the other set, his statement, "I am sensitive to that region" (or words to that effect) said about the other set is the fact, but the words change when they like the manufacturer!

We all have different anatomy and hear slightly differently, using tech to explain what you hear is one thing, hiding behind tech (which has a long way to go to replicate our ears) is another.

Sorry, @llysender, I just had to get that off my chest!

I assure you there is nothing wrong with the TRI Starlights or with the ears of those who can tolerate those "peaks" some ears are tolerant and some are sensitive to certain sounds.

I probably did not address your point at all but just a nod in that direction, I have yet to use the Wolfram cable.
No issues not sure whats the deal with the starlight and peaks; personally i find them relexed sounding along with having a bright tilt to the sound without any serous spikes.

The 6khz spike on the i ones graph though seems to be very intentional and im just doing some guess work since i have the wolfram cable and it paired pretty poorly with the fiio fd7 making it extremely smooth. That would be the main down/upside to the cable dispite having all the benefits of silver having a cleaner and more well saperated image.

As a disclaimer my ears are very attunded to time based changes and as such cables change the sound alot more for me than other people. At the same time eq doesnt do much for me and by extension FR scans tell jack on wether i will enjoy the sound.

That being said im still looking forward to the release as tri's tunings are very agreeable with me.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #3,726 of 3,867
Not enough to replace my wonderful Starlight it seems. EE Odin might replace it next year but still, Starlight is amazing for its price and I am still enjoying it a ton.
Oooo! Starlight love!

IMG_1968.jpg
IMG_1967.jpg

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #3,729 of 3,867

If the store provided graphs can be trusted, it looks pretty generic V-shaped with huge bass. But the pinna gain of 12ish dB looks a bit worrisome.

I really like the TRIs I have bought so far, but for this iOne at $279 USD (for a single DD), they are competing against some established big boys like the Tanchjim Oxygen, Moondrop KATO etc. Very tough competition as such, hope they are successful though.

Graph.JPG

I

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #3,730 of 3,867
If the store provided graphs can be trusted, it looks pretty generic V-shaped with huge bass. But the pinna gain of 12ish dB looks a bit worrisome.

I really like the TRIs I have bought so far, but for this iOne at $279 USD (for a single DD), they are competing against some established big boys like the Tanchjim Oxygen, Moondrop KATO etc. Very tough competition as such, hope they are successful though.
Yeah, I think I'll wait for some reviews before I decide whether or not to get it. I'm looking to upgrade from my Moondrop Starfield, but that price with VAT on top of it gives me pause, even if we get TRI's premium cable as part of the deal (though from what I've see in videos, this cable is ridiculously rigid and floppy, which is not something I like).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #3,734 of 3,867
Oct 27, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #3,735 of 3,867
Are there any dongle/dac/dap recommendations under 350$ for my Tri I3 Pro?
Shanling UA3 (a dongle dac) if you like a touch of added bass, good Shanling tuning.

New Tempotec Variations V6 (DAP) you can get it on Indiegogo for 279USD. Check out the reviews here and on YouTube, it seems to me to be a very good deal for a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back