TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #3,677 of 3,867
Hello everyone. Has anyone compared their I3 Pro with ISN H50, H40? I'm curious, which one of them slams harder in bass, which one is shoutier, which one is peakier in treble, etc. Because I'm considering to order H50 or H40, but they're quite expensive, so I'd like to make sure that I really need them.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #3,678 of 3,867
Hello everyone. Has anyone compared their I3 Pro with ISN H50, H40? I'm curious, which one of them slams harder in bass, which one is shoutier, which one is peakier in treble, etc. Because I'm considering to order H50 or H40, but they're quite expensive, so I'd like to make sure that I really need them.
I replied on ISN thread. Hopefully it helps.

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #3,680 of 3,867
I think the Timeless and the S12 are both interesting IEMs but I recently put the TRI I3 Pros back in my ears and to me the sound from I3s is much more appealing than the Timeless and S12.

I do not know if it is a fair comparison but the multi driver Planar IEMs, TRI I3s and IMR EDP, sound better to me than the single Planar driver IEMs, Timeless and S12.
I'd like to ask you, since you've heard S12 and I3 Pro, where's more bass impact? One of my colleagues said that S12 has a lot of bass, which can slam hard and tight. Basically, it's the first parameter for me when I choose a next IEM, so I'm very interested - will there be even more hammer-heavy bass impact on S12 compared to I3 Pro?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #3,681 of 3,867
Hey, good to hear from you. Hope you are well.

Do bear with me, I am a bit....no, a lot behind with my reviews after not being well for a bit and an ear infection. All sorted now just trying to catch up.

What led to the retirement of your Moondrops?
No rush on your impressions, at least for me.

Like most of my older single dynamics, my Moondrop K Pro & DLC(?) have fallen to the wayside, for newer options like the FiiO FD5/7 & Dunu Zen.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #3,682 of 3,867
Got my KAI from Keephifi, took a full week for delivery in PH. Safe, non-fatiguing listen with just a tad ample amount of bass quantity to satisfy those looking for some rumble and energy. Treble is not offensive, technicalities just right for the price. Overall a well-balanced set and great value. Dark horse IEM of the year somewhat. A bit of a fingerprint magnet though but would take this over the Aria any day for its purpose and build quality.

IMG_20220803_075923.jpg

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #3,683 of 3,867
I'd like to ask you, since you've heard S12 and I3 Pro, where's more bass impact? One of my colleagues said that S12 has a lot of bass, which can slam hard and tight. Basically, it's the first parameter for me when I choose a next IEM, so I'm very interested - will there be even more hammer-heavy bass impact on S12 compared to I3 Pro?

From memory, as I no longer have the S12, which was sent to me on loan by a kind friend.

In relation to bass, the question for you is if you prefer sub-bass to mid-bass. The S12 has greater emphasis on mid-bass which is impactful while the I3 Pros have greater emphasis on the sub-bass. The S12 mid-bass is very well defined, bass notes are delivered clearly and with good tone.

They both have a lot to give in the low end and across the frequency spectrum, but I prefer the I3 Pros because, apart from my preference for sub-bass over mid-bass, the multiple drivers as implemented on the I3 Pros deliver a better balance overall.

I hope that helps.

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #3,684 of 3,867
From memory, as I no longer have the S12, which was sent to me on loan by a kind friend.

In relation to bass, the question for you is if you prefer sub-bass to mid-bass. The S12 has greater emphasis on mid-bass which is impactful while the I3 Pros have greater emphasis on the sub-bass. The S12 mid-bass is very well defined, bass notes are delivered clearly and with good tone.

They both have a lot to give in the low end and across the frequency spectrum, but I prefer the I3 Pros because, apart from my preference for sub-bass over mid-bass, the multiple drivers as implemented on the I3 Pros deliver a better balance overall.

I hope that helps.
I've ended up with I3Pro and Giant Panda for planars. The I3Pro has a very rich bass, slightly warm mids and delicate treble. Panda still leans warm but a more balanced tune. They complement each other, different enough to provide variety, similar enough they don't offend.

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #3,685 of 3,867

I hope that helps.
Thanks a lot. But I think I need to concretize thigs a little more - I like to not only hear the bass, but also feel it physically. Which one of those IEMs have the most physical impact of the bass, no matter mid- or sub- it is?

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #3,686 of 3,867
Thanks a lot. But I think I need to concretize thigs a little more - I like to not only hear the bass, but also feel it physically. Which one of those IEMs have the most physical impact of the bass, no matter mid- or sub- it is?
For me it is simple, I prefer the I3 Pros (to hear and to feel) to many other planars I have heard.

The only planar set which beats them are the IMR EDP Ace, and they do so because, not only are they multi drivers, but they come with bone conduction.

Unfortunately, the EDP Ace may be sold out, in any case the price is now in the £400 region which may not be what you want to spend, especially as you get most of what the Ace have to offer in the I3 Pros for much less money.

The I3 Pros would be my choice between the S12 and I3 Pros.

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #3,687 of 3,867
For me it is simple, I prefer the I3 Pros (to hear and to feel) to many other planars I have heard.

The only planar set which beats them are the IMR EDP Ace, and they do so because, not only are they multi drivers, but they come with bone conduction.

Unfortunately, the EDP Ace may be sold out, in any case the price is now in the £400 region which may not be what you want to spend, especially as you get most of what the Ace have to offer in the I3 Pros for much less money.

What about the 7Hz Timeless or the RAPTGO HOOK-X, Chris? How do you feel about those, compared to the TRI I3 Pro?

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #3,688 of 3,867
What about the 7Hz Timeless or the RAPTGO HOOK-X, Chris? How do you feel about those, compared to the TRI I3 Pro?
I'm not Chris, but I have Timeless in my collection. I prefer I3 Pro, because tribrids have a lot more bass and physical thump too, safer treble and wider soundstage. Timeless often can sound sharp to my ears, and there's not enough bass to satisfy me.

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #3,689 of 3,867

Thank you, now I've made my decision: I don't need S12.

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #3,690 of 3,867
Hi Nick, I like the Timeless for different reasons. I can just lie back and enjoy their effortless delivery of classical music, but when it comes to sub-bass the I3s have it.

As for the RAPTOGO Hook X, I have not yet had the pleasure. Again with a DAP, and IEMs I bought, I have to be careful the wife does not find out my true expenditure. The excuse is that they are all review units.....not the case! Some are, and I am lucky enough to get them, but the expenditure rises quickly. I hope to hear the much praised expansive stage of the Hook-X someday.

My question is, what are your thoughts on the Timeless and the Hook-X compared to the I3 Pros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back