TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3,482 of 3,867
@WendyLi it is confirmed that the problem is the stock usb c to usb c cable.
Will replacement be provided?

Dec 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,483 of 3,867
20211202_214923_HDR.jpg

So yeah this is a thing you can do with the TRI TK-2. Every output works at the same time.

Now I've only tried it on low power as I don't want to potentially damage my TK-2 but at normal listening volume (for these low power IEMs) it was fine.
Balanced obviously is louder than SE, so using the lower impedance IEM on SE is recommended if using multiple outputs from the TK-2. I would also recommend having the IEMs on the balanced outputs to have about the same impedance if you decide to use both at the same time for some reason.

Now I don't recommend doing this all the time but for a-b testing this might help a lot.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #3,484 of 3,867
Every output works at the same time.
Those iems will get lesser power, at least that what I heard. It is still nice for doing A/B testing though.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #3,486 of 3,867
20211202_214923_HDR.jpg
So yeah this is a thing you can do with the TRI TK-2. Every output works at the same time.

Now I've only tried it on low power as I don't want to potentially damage my TK-2 but at normal listening volume (for these low power IEMs) it was fine.
Balanced obviously is louder than SE, so using the lower impedance IEM on SE is recommended if using multiple outputs from the TK-2. I would also recommend having the IEMs on the balanced outputs to have about the same impedance if you decide to use both at the same time for some reason.

Now I don't recommend doing this all the time but for a-b testing this might help a lot.
TK-2 will say: I am a little tired today

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3,487 of 3,867
@ChrisOc , have you had a chance to listen more, test, your Meteor? Your impressions, so far? :)

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #3,489 of 3,867
Hi Nick, not yet, I have not had the opportunity, yet to listen to the Meteors, but give me a week or so and should be able to give my impressions. Do bear with me.
Definitely man, thanks a lot! In a week or so, I will also receive my FiiO UTWS5 -it has been shipped yesterday- and I will be able to decide if it will be a good match with my new FH5s, or not. Thanks again. all the best! :)

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #3,490 of 3,867
New favourite pairing, Starlight x RU6. Loving the more controlled sub-bass (compared to SA-1) and the warmer, more musical presentation without any impact on the treble. Love it!!!

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #3,491 of 3,867
I'm tempted to get the starshine after owning the starsea(in 0,0 config) and i3 pro being really nice warm clean and well detailed iems. Just curous being EST trebble does it suffer from the lack of sustain or is it overlapping with a BA?

Or should I go crazy and go straight for the starlight. Apperently some folks are saying that the trebble overwelms everything but being unable to demo I would like your help please.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #3,492 of 3,867
I will start with the Starlights, they are detailed and have exceptionally good resolution, as you would expect at this price range and with the driver combination. However, as you rightly pointed out some have reported that they find the treble overwhelming, I do not hear the excessive treble of which others complain. I would like to think it is not age or that I have any hearing deficiency. I just believe that I am more treble tolerant. In short I would say the Starlights are analytical in their presentation.

The Starshines on the other hand are quite analogue in their presentation, which, to my ears, is a much more harmonic as opposed to analytical presentation so that it is not about how distinct each instrument sounds and well demarcated the separation of instruments is but rather how coherent those the entire ensemble sounds.

Although I really enjoy listening to my Starlights, I prefer the presentation of the Starshines, which suits my taste in music. Some prefer the Starlights, so really, if you have not already done so, read a few reviews on both, as these are big purchases for most.

As stated above by @yaps66 he is enjoying the Starlights with the "right" pairing. Getting the synergy chain right can make either a great set to have.

Sorry not to give you a definitive answer but the truth is tastes differ and at these sort of prices the differences are in the margins.

I am not promoting anything, but I have just had notification on AliExpress that KBear/TRI has a sale on from 6th December until the 10th of December 2021, once you have made your decision.

Good luck with your decision and come back and tell us which you chose.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #3,493 of 3,867
I will start with the Starlights, they are detailed and have exceptionally good resolution, as you would expect at this price range and with the driver combination. However, as you rightly pointed out some have reported that they find the treble overwhelming, I do not hear the excessive treble of which others complain. I would like to think it is not age or that I have any hearing deficiency. I just believe that I am more treble tolerant. In short I would say the Starlights are analytical in their presentation.

The Starshines on the other hand are quite analogue in their presentation, which, to my ears, is a much more harmonic as opposed to analytical presentation so that it is not about how distinct each instrument sounds and well demarcated the separation of instruments is but rather how coherent those the entire ensemble sounds.

Although I really enjoy listening to my Starlights, I prefer the presentation of the Starshines, which suits my taste in music. Some prefer the Starlights, so really, if you have not already done so, read a few reviews on both, as these are big purchases for most.

As stated above by @yaps66 he is enjoying the Starlights with the "right" pairing. Getting the synergy chain right can make either a great set to have.

Sorry not to give you a definitive answer but the truth is tastes differ and at these sort of prices the differences are in the margins.

I am not promoting anything, but I have just had notification on AliExpress that KBear/TRI has a sale on from 6th December until the 10th of December 2021, once you have made your decision.

Good luck with your decision and come back and tell us which you chose.
Thanks for the detailed response. Based off what you said I save up for the starlight and buy them duing the eventual CNY sale. While I like a harmonically coherent iem analogue is quite a big nono if used in the traditional BBC sense as I find old school audio technica too lush and rich and would much have a leaner denser sound with proper negative space to saperate the instruments.

That being said being a vocal and treble head myself I always appreciate when the iem can trigger the proper muscles at the back of the head to twitch. At lest from my experence proper extention to at lest 14k is perferable and if it can extend properly past 20k while still being stable that would be ideal.

Just as a final question does the starlight have both sustained and smooth upper treble response?

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #3,494 of 3,867
Just as a final question does the starlight have both sustained and smooth upper treble response?
If what you mean by sustained and smooth upper treble is that it is well extended, I would say for my taste it is. If what you mean by smooth is that it is artificially smeared over and buttery, I would say, it is not, it is quite precise treble but substantial treble.

It terms of comparison, I hear the piezo treble as thin, almost fragile.

BA to my ears, has a bit more substance to the treble note and the electrostatics being the most substantial without being a thick note, so electrostatic tweeters will give the violin notes a fuller body than a piezo would and yet capable of delivering very fragile notes as well.

I hope I understood your terms correctly.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #3,495 of 3,867
If what you mean by sustained and smooth upper treble is that it is well extended, I would say for my taste it is. If what you mean by smooth is that it is artificially smeared over and buttery, I would say, it is not, it is quite precise treble but substantial treble.

It terms of comparison, I hear the piezo treble as thin, almost fragile.

BA to my ears, has a bit more substance to the treble note and the electrostatics being the most substantial without being a thick note, so electrostatic tweeters will give the violin notes a fuller body than a piezo would and yet capable of delivering very fragile notes as well.

I hope I understood your terms correctly.
Oh nice, yeah I was thinking of booth DD and BA being able to adjust the air body as needed. If the starlight is able to do the full gammut from the nanosecond spike to fully sustained vocal reverb extension that would be great.

I was mainly asking because all the EST Ive heard still now havent been able to sustain when needed making the sound very dark.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back