TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
May 14, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #316 of 3,867
I'm tempted to perform the grill mod on my I3s but I think I will wait until the I3s drop in price a little in an AE sale, and then buy a back up pair for modding.

May 14, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #317 of 3,867
I'm tempted to perform the grill mod on my I3s but I think I will wait until the I3s drop in price a little in an AE sale, and then buy a back up pair for modding.

Its very easy and reversible if you have spare grill. Texture, clarity, imaging and highs are better with mods

May 14, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #318 of 3,867
I do have spare grills - maybe I'll listen a little more in vanilla mode then see how I feel. I am becoming more treble sensitive as time goes on.

May 14, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #319 of 3,867
Its very easy and reversible if you have spare grill. Texture, clarity, imaging and highs are better with mods

Last week I ordered different 4 and 5mm meshes from AliExpress after successfully doing your spring 1 mod.... going to mod the Blon03 mesh and also try different mesh on spring 1. Fiddling is fun!

The pic attached, is very similar to what they have used for the spring one.... Although this looks like it has fewer but larger holes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200514-113647.png
    Screenshot_20200514-113647.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 14, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #320 of 3,867
I do have spare grills - maybe I'll listen a little more in vanilla mode then see how I feel. I am becoming more treble sensitive as time goes on.
Oh then its great no more waiting, just go ahead. Trebles remains smooth and nothing harsh but more extended. Just remember micropore tape on grill to kill 3khz peak, remember dont block entire grill or youre doing the same like the original cloth damper. Goodluck.

Last week I ordered different 4 and 5mm meshes from AliExpress after successfully doing your spring 1 mod.... going to mod the Blon03 mesh and also try different mesh on spring 1. Fiddling is fun!

The pic attached, is very similar to what they have used for the spring one.... Although this looks like it has fewer but larger holes.

Great that grill is very good. The bigger the holes, the more air flow go through, more clarity and texture. I did the blon also and make tutorial on blon thread after slater mod, but mine with sponge to tame treble. Goodluck

May 18, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #322 of 3,867
3A878DBC-323A-4E98-8A77-9B0597232FA5.jpeg
Finally did the mesh mod, with a dust network mesh of 4.7mm (probably was better a bit less like 4.5mm).
Will report how they sound now!

Put micropore tape on that grill but dont block entire surface, just a little piece of cut to tame 3khz peak

May 18, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #323 of 3,867
Put micropore tape on that grill but dont block entire surface, just a little piece of cut to tame 3khz peak
I think ill live with it and EQ for now!:) but I’ll check later if highs have more clarity and air now with the mesh

May 19, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #325 of 3,867
May 19, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #327 of 3,867
Thanks. Will go search, must have missed it. Guess anything bigger than h40 won't fit me.
Actually i3 is just slight bigger but definitely thicker than H40, but the fit of i3 is really comfortable despite of their giant size

May 22, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #329 of 3,867
If you had to pick one, would it be t800 or tri i3?

Very different beasts. Depends what is your preferred sound signature and preferred music genres.

T800 is very detailed and technical, and is bright, so not the best option if u are treble sensitive. Though the treble can be tamed with warmer sources, foam tips, narrower bore tips, EQ, knowles damper, +/- copper cable (if u are a cable believer). T800 has excellent isolation. T800 needs a proper source matching as it is quite finicky, ideally something with as low output impedance as possible is important for it to sound good.

TRI I3 on the other hand is much smoother, less technical and less detailed, but not so fatiguing. Tonality and timbre better on the TRI I3. TRI I3 has poorer isolation. TRI I3 needs amping to wake up the planars inside, so it doesn't sound that good from lower powered sources like smartphones.

Fit and comfort is about equal IMO.

May 22, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #330 of 3,867
Very different beasts. Depends what is your preferred sound signature and preferred music genres.

T800 is very detailed and technical, and is bright, so not the best option if u are treble sensitive. Though the treble can be tamed with warmer sources, foam tips, narrower bore tips, EQ, knowles damper, +/- copper cable (if u are a cable believer). T800 has excellent isolation. T800 needs a proper source matching as it is quite finicky, ideally something with as low output impedance as possible is important for it to sound good.

TRI I3 on the other hand is much smoother, less technical and less detailed, but not so fatiguing. Tonality and timbre better on the TRI I3. TRI I3 has poorer isolation. TRI I3 needs amping to wake up the planars inside, so it doesn't sound that good from lower powered sources like smartphones.

Fit and comfort is about equal IMO.
Must be said that TRI is also very effective at bringing (right) to the fore any shortcomings in original recording quality, I've found much to my chagrin, given that about 80% of my preferred tuneage suffers from such! Oooh but when the recording itself hangs in there, TRI I3 are such glorious fun!

May i give the biggest shout-out to wonderful person at Audiosense who refunded me so promptly for returned AQ3, long before they received package, which I sent untracked due to cost.

Also to person at DD Linsoul store, who when i made my purchase of both ThieAudio Legacy 3 and Shuoer Tape, shipped within a matter of hours via DHL without any extra charge.

Highest recommendation to these folks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back