TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
May 12, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #301 of 3,867
To have to do so much EQ to be listenable suggests compromised design?

Agreed - I3 as is is fantastic, then the usual headfier thought arises: what's next?

May 13, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #302 of 3,867
To have to do so much EQ to be listenable suggests compromised design?

Agreed - I3 as is is fantastic, then the usual headfier thought arises: what's next?
Question answered today....

the TRI Starlight showed up on Ali. 4estat, 2ba, 1dd. Quite a jump in price. Any guinea pigs with $789 out there?

I mean, I could, but I'm working from home right now and not listening to IEMs nearly as much ATM.

I think TRI/kb has quickly earned my trust/respect that i'd make this leap if I had the ear time.

May 13, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #303 of 3,867
The Starlight and Shuoer EJ07 are very similar it looks like to me. The TRI I3 is gonna be hard to beat soundwise and price wise I think. The I3 is special all the way around. The expense of the EJ07, Starlight and even ST07 is whats holding me back, unless I win the lottery....
I agree that TRI has really become trustworthy and I’d buy from them also but being on a fixed income really makes those price points out of reach. Maybe someday until then I’ll look forward to impressions on Starlight!

May 13, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #304 of 3,867
I3 are great, but I prefer to slight EQ.
No one is EQing i3?

I also received Gold Planar GL20.
Beside the fit which is aweful at the beginning (now with Azla they fit very well), they sound very dull with no EQ.
But EQing then brings out potential of the open back design and big planar driver. With EQ I’m starting to like them a bit...would better understand their potential against i3 soon.

May 13, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #305 of 3,867
I3 are great, but I prefer to slight EQ.
No one is EQing i3?

I also received Gold Planar GL20.
Beside the fit which is aweful at the beginning (now with Azla they fit very well), they sound very dull with no EQ.
But EQing then brings out potential of the open back design and big planar driver. With EQ I’m starting to like them a bit...would better understand their potential against i3 soon.

What are your I3's EQ settings? I find the 3 kHz area can be occasionally harsh, sometimes with female/high male vocals, so that area can potentially be dropped a few dB. Most of the time I don't use EQ though, it is still tolerable for me compared to some other CHIFI (cough cough KZ).

May 13, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #306 of 3,867
I was an EQ man but not anymore. Great tuning IEM dont require any EQ and precise EQ that i can achieve is only with PC and i seldom using them on my pc. My dx160 and v40 are most DAP that i use.

I tamed the i3 3khz peak with micropore tape and did that after grill mod. I3 are indeed great IEM, just that a little bit mid bass bleed and 3khz peak but micropore does the job greatly.

May 13, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #307 of 3,867
Tri I3 has been on my wish list for some time.... but I have Spring 1 ( with mesh mod) and LzA6 mini, both of which I am happy with, so I really wonder whether it is necessary to get to the Tri I3.

Anyone think it is definitely superior in some regards to the Spring 1?

Thanks.

May 13, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #308 of 3,867
Tri I3 has been on my wish list for some time.... but I have Spring 1 ( with mesh mod) and LzA6 mini, both of which I am happy with, so I really wonder whether it is necessary to get to the Tri I3.

Thanks.
Might be better for you to save up for something more of an upgrade, the Tri I3 might be a sidegrade with the stuff you have.

May 13, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #309 of 3,867
Might be better for you to save up for something more of an upgrade, the Tri I3 might be a sidegrade with the stuff you have.
Yeah.

As you and I discussed on the other thread Tin P2 planar is definitely on my radar!!! :)

May 13, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #310 of 3,867
Yeah.

As you and I discussed on the other thread Tin P2 planar is definitely on my radar!!! :)
yeah, recommend waiting for that one at least before deciding. (at least if you want a planar, there are other iems you can get too)

May 13, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #311 of 3,867
May 13, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #312 of 3,867
@prionsarebad They also have their electrostat iem:
https://twitter.com/tttaudio/status/1256943448764137472

So that might interest you, but since you already have 2 iems with piezo drivers the electrostat might sound similar to them. So the planar P2 iem should give you a more unique sound that you dont have right now.
Yeah, I don't have planar sound yet.

I do have Koss Esp 95X for special occasions.... details are almost overpowering so I don't listen often.

May 13, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #313 of 3,867

Thanks.
I haven't really listened to the spring 1 much since the I3 has been broken in. For me the I3 is better everywhere.

I went to try to thoroughly A-B compare them one day, but stopped after about 10 minutes because it was immediately obvious the I3 was the better pair. And that's with having carefully EQd the spring 1 to my liking.

The I3 is one of those pairs that just transcends price points. It has basically made my RHA CL2 obsolete, and I bought those for $810....

May 13, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #314 of 3,867
I haven't really listened to the spring 1 much since the I3 has been broken in. For me the I3 is better everywhere.

I went to try to thoroughly A-B compare them one day, but stopped after about 10 minutes because it was immediately obvious the I3 was the better pair. And that's with having carefully EQd the spring 1 to my liking.

The I3 is one of those pairs that just transcends price points. It has basically made my RHA CL2 obsolete, and I bought those for $810....
Thanks. 2 questions:

1) have you listened to the spring one after doing the mesh mod, basically removing the cloth layer from the underside of the mesh.... I found it improved quite nicely.

2) Could you let me know what your pEQ profile was for spring 1? I asked on head-fi a while back but unfortunately didn't get any replies.

Thanks.

May 13, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #315 of 3,867
Thanks. 2 questions:

1) have you listened to the spring one after doing the mesh mod, basically removing the cloth layer from the underside of the mesh.... I found it improved quite nicely.

2) Could you let me know what your pEQ profile was for spring 1? I asked on head-fi a while back but unfortunately didn't get any replies.

Thanks.
I have spring1 mesh mod (well im the one that made that tutorial and among the first did that to spring 1), a6 mini and the I3 is a step above them.

1. Yes the spring1 still have mid bass focus, the mesh mod improved the texture of the bass and clarity of the bass and made spring 1 more balance (before mesh mod the bass was too dominating) and of course midrange became better with grill mod. The i3 still have edge on bass depth here, have better soundstage depth, and way more comfort. Details wise the spring 1 can chasing up but i3 still a little bit better.
Highs on i3 is safer on 8khz and spring 1 have tizziness on highs while i3 is better balanced.
Tonality and timbre i3 much better than spring 1.
Let alone original i3. With mesh mod i3 (made tutorial few pages back also in this thread), the i3 mids and highs become better but you have to place micropore tape to tame the more peaky 3khz.

2. My EQ is flat but if you want improvement you need to up 20-40hz by 3-5db on spring 1, lower down 80-100hz by 3db, lower down the 200-300 hz by 5rb, kill 8khz by 5-7db and 10-12khz down by 3db.
Still after EQ, there are few aspect that better on i3. Timbre, speed, bass depth, imaging, soundstage width and mainly depth, and much better comfort. I love my spring 1 like what i said on bqeyz thread. I also have nicehck nx7 pro too if you want to compare another piezo driver IEM. And **** pro too.
I3 Is not perfectly tuned, but still suits my preference better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back