TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Apr 9, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #196 of 3,867
Just picked up the TRI I3 from my post office.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-09 at 20.10.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-09 at 20.10.11.jpeg

Still burning the big fellow in, but initial impressions OOTB are:

- The TRI I3 is probably the hugest shell I've seen in my past 30 IEMs. Still not sure about the comfort levels with longer sessions, but will test it out over the next week to verify this. The shell is a mega fingerprint magnet though, so maybe our OCD friends here might not appreciate that aspect.
- Due to the large shells, that probably gives the TRI I3 such a huge soundstage. I dare say the soundstage comes quite close or equal to some earbuds, which is quite amazing for an IEM. Really speaker like in terms of soundstage.
- The MMCX connector doesn't seem very sturdy, I'm not sure it can take too many cable swaps, so gonna leave on the stock copper one for now. Stock cable seems very well braided and usable.
- Average isolation.
- Sound signature is quite analogue like, maybe not as analogue sounding as the BLON BL-03. Very balanced tuning, with a midcentric focus. Subbass is a bit light for my tastes as a basshead, but I'll give it more burn in. But bass is quite tight. The TRI I3 has one of the most lush mids I've heard so far, I would say better than my other 2 midcentric IEMs in my collection (Hisenior B5+ and Oriveti New Primacy). There may be a small spike around the 3 kHz area which may make female vocals a tinge hot, but will burn in more and evalute this. Treble extends pretty well but this isn't a too sparkly set.
- Technicalities are pretty good.
- Timbre and note weight is good, though maybe not as good as some single DD sets, but quite close.
- The TRI I3 needs amping, probably due to the planars inside it. On just a smartphone, the TRI I3 doesn't scale that well.

Will leave a more detailed review soon, but this seems from initial impressions to be a great midcentric gem. Definitely more value for money than some of my midfi Westones that cost way more.

Apr 9, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #197 of 3,867
@baskingshark are they bigger than the audiosense T800? The tight bass is appealing to me....

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #198 of 3,867
My i3s doesn’t have any gaps that are shown and the mmcx is solid and not loose at all. Mine came a few weeks back and seemed to me they tightened up those issues. The youtube guy and whomever else that write it off are few and far between. Everybody has really like them except those guys, Who both have lots of readers and viewers. I know what sounds good to me and thats all that counts. How can you buy or not buy based on a few opinions when it seems like majority are very pleased?
These are special and very well tuned, don’t miss out because of reviews.

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #199 of 3,867
@baskingshark are they bigger than the audiosense T800? The tight bass is appealing to me....

Yes it is bigger than the T800 in length, width and height. I know u had problems with the T800 so most likely the TRI I3 will not suit u fit wise.

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #200 of 3,867
Does everybody here concur with Basker that TRI I3 does indeed have "holographic" like sound? Akin even, to loudspeaker spatiality? Could someone expand some on that impression, if possible? I have never heard an IEM that comes close to warranting such a description, but if it is at all true, hell, I'm in.

(The last time i believed such a description (Vsonic VS3) from a review on here, you see, the product i received was in the event so dismal i listened to it once and never again )

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #201 of 3,867
Does everybody here concur with Basker that TRI I3 does indeed have "holographic" like sound? Akin even, to loudspeaker spatiality? Could someone expand some on that impression, if possible? I have never heard an IEM that comes close to warranting such a description, but if it is at all true, hell, I'm in.

(The last time i believed such a description (Vsonic VS3) from a review on here, you see, the product i received was in the event so dismal i listened to it once and never again )

The TRI I3 has the best soundstage in my IEM collection for sure. But it wouldn't compare with open backed headphones, simply a matter of physics as the transducer is inside the ear canal. But soundstage is very comparable or close to some of my earbuds. Still burning in and trying different tips/sources, so will report back on this in a week or so.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3130#post-15550060
This guy above in another thread also commented that the TRI I3 has the best soundstage in his collection, and I think he has way more IEMs than me.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #202 of 3,867

Shuoer Tape has that "holographic" description for its soundstage too. Basically you can hear the sound all around your head and when you close your eyes you can clearly identify each one of them (at least on the tape).

Apr 11, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #208 of 3,867

Yes. The soundstage is definitely special and they sound very speaker like. As good as any pair I've listened to. You can tell they are a closed design but they sound huge regardless, which I actually prefer to something more open like the Rah or isine20.

I haven't watched BGGARs review, but it's a shame people put so much faith in His opinion when he has some very strange views (burn in is a factor with this sweet as with most planars). He got this one wrong. This is an easy rec.

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #209 of 3,867
Yes. The soundstage is definitely special and they sound very speaker like. As good as any pair I've listened to. You can tell they are a closed design but they sound huge regardless, which I actually prefer to something more open like the Rah or isine20.

I haven't watched BGGARs review, but it's a shame people put so much faith in His opinion when he has some very strange views (burn in is a factor with this sweet as with most planars). He got this one wrong. This is an easy rec.
Heyyy thankyou for this ! I"m almost 'there'! Could you perhaps suggest which of the TRI I3 sellers it might be best (at this time) to buy from?

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #210 of 3,867
Heyyy thankyou for this ! I"m almost 'there'! Could you perhaps suggest which of the TRI I3 sellers it might be best (at this time) to buy from?

I bought my TRI I3 from the HIFIGO shop on Aliexpress. 5 star service, got mine 12 days after placing an order, most of the other stuff I ordered from Aliexpress at the same time hasn't even left China yet, probably due to logistics issues with the coronavirus.

This headfier apparently bought the TRI I3 from another shop, but had issues with the shop:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-3129#post-15543270

Users who are viewing this thread

Back