TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #346 of 3,867
Yeah the TRI Starlight looks superbly interesting, but so far not many reviews. Too risky though to make a blind purchase at that price. But they use Sonion drivers, and my impression is that Sonion is quite picky with which companies they let use their drivers.

If u get it, let us know how it is man!
It seems like the market is getting flooded with these est+ba+DD tribryds around this price. It's weird to me TRI would make something so common. With all the competition, it's hard for me to see how it gains much traction in a crowded and expensive segment.

I'd really to see them take the I3 to the next level by increasing the size of the DD and using those estat drivers instead of BA drivers. That would be a winner if they could keep the price down. It's hard for me to justify $800 on something that's likely to be a downgrade in the mid-range from the I3.....

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #347 of 3,867
That’s my thinking also, the i3 is so good and under priced If I spend that much will it be a huge upgrade? Doubtful and we know the EJ07 and ST7 are identical build wise spec wise and the graphs match. Look at them and new tri piece and look how similar they are. They could/are being made by same oem with different faceplates. Those BA’s are really groups or duals and referred to differently depending on the marketing persons day. So if you look at enough specifications you’ll read about crazy misspelled components and features when they could all be identical, it’s hard to explain posting from my iPhone and being lousy typist!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #348 of 3,867
It seems like the market is getting flooded with these est+ba+DD tribryds around this price. It's weird to me TRI would make something so common. With all the competition, it's hard for me to see how it gains much traction in a crowded and expensive segment.

I'd really to see them take the I3 to the next level by increasing the size of the DD and using those estat drivers instead of BA drivers. That would be a winner if they could keep the price down. It's hard for me to justify $800 on something that's likely to be a downgrade in the mid-range from the I3.....

Tri i3 uses earbridge magnetostatic driver not est.

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #349 of 3,867
Tri i3 uses earbridge magnetostatic driver not est.
Think you're thinking of the shuoer tape. The I3 is DD+planar+BA....

The I3 is a winner, tweak it and you've got gold.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #350 of 3,867
The I3 is a winner, tweak it and you've got gold.
That is absolutely correct, TRI I3 are heavenly.

The problem is, what qualifies as an upgrade to the TRI I3? Will I have to sell a kidney? I put in an order for the IMR Everyday Planar in February just before I got the TRI I3 on impulse about a week later, now I keep wondering if I set myself up for disappointment after 2 and a half months of great fun with the TRI I3.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #351 of 3,867
That is absolutely correct, TRI I3 are heavenly.

The problem is, what qualifies as an upgrade to the TRI I3? Will I have to sell a kidney? I put in an order for the IMR Everyday Planar in February just before I got the TRI I3 on impulse about a week later, now I keep wondering if I set myself up for disappointment after 2 and a half months of great fun with the TRI I3.

I have the IMR Rah and I wouldn't necessarily classify it as an upgrade to the I3 (except for in the bass response). Honestly the EDP looks to be a lot like the I3.

I can't remember the exact EDP layout, but the Rah is a pretty open design with middling isolation but obviously a more open sound. It's makes the Rah And I3 pretty difficult to directly compare.

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #352 of 3,867
I have the IMR Rah and I wouldn't necessarily classify it as an upgrade to the I3 (except for in the bass response). Honestly the EDP looks to be a lot like the I3.

I can't remember the exact EDP layout, but the Rah is a pretty open design with middling isolation but obviously a more open sound. It's makes the Rah And I3 pretty difficult to directly compare.

I believe that you are right, the EPD (10mm Planar and 9mm DD) and TRI I3 quite similar. IMR say it will be their best for isolation. We will wait and see.

I have to save up for an upgrade. I have bought too many headphones, TWS, IEMS and overhead which I don't use often enough to justify spending more on side grades.

Although price does not always reflect improved sound quality, it is time to restrain myself and save up for something which is truly an upgrade on the TRI I3.

Jun 8, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #353 of 3,867
My I3 turned out to be OK, must have been a dirty MMCX connection. I made the mesh mod (used a 4.7mm network which was slightly too big but that's all I had) and covered just over 50% with Micropore. Cleaner highs and mids but have lost a little bass thump and body. A different sound, neither better nor worse. After listening with the silver cable I made, have gone back to SPC which preserves more of the bass and warms the timbre sufficiently without being too mushy.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #355 of 3,867
TriStarlight.jpg

Saw this photo of the Starlight on Facebook and compared it to my ST7s. There appears to be a vent hole on the top part of the shell on the Starlight that isn't present on the ST7. Both the ST7 and Shuoer EJ07 have some sort of vent hole right next to the cable connector instead. There are also some other differences in the shell's shape - more contouring, different alignment of holes on nozzle - so even if they share the drivers, the Starlight's shell seems to differ from both ST7 and EJ07.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #358 of 3,867
I read that Starlight review our friend posted the link to up above. Google Translated ok I guess but the reviewer said the tuning is not what he expected. He also mentioned folks that like I3 & I4 will be surprised at the sound signature. He implied other things but I’m not sure the translation is clear, and Interpreted correctly.
Check it out!
I really think the i3 will be tough to beat In every category, the biggest being price. I may buy another i3 as a backup, as it is really an enjoyable listening experience!

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #359 of 3,867
Hi

I have gotten into the biggest hater of IEMs because i hated that isolation and constant plugin feeling.
Well today i needed something during cleaning up my home because outside was sunshine Grill inferno and Drilling machine festival..

Aahh damned need something with isolation.. well i usually wear the tri i3 with the cable down because that cable around the ear stuff is simply silly for me.
But as you know those are.. big... earpotatoes.

And most tips suck on them, all those wobbly spinsponspunfitnot are not holding them with cable down.
So i tried some crap foam tips i think came with my tin p1.. and hey nice!

Plugged in my ears like on a stick and holding perfect without being dekoni foam (wich is well known to be garbage because it is garbage.. great to have 10 pairs of garbage now.. cool...)

Ok i get a bit off track as usual and forgot that ma E1DA 9038s g2 has those modes.. Ah switched to tube hooked it like a facehugger on my hiby r3 with my cema XS boutique bling blong cable and....

.. am blown away because i forgot how amazing they are!

Like a well sounding orchestra team with no annoying solo players.
i guess i am glad i bought them super hell cheap at the start of the year when no one really had them.

Lovely silver Earpotatoes :wink:

And now i guess i have to mod them till they explode :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back