Treo 800w phone USB host connection to DAC - anyone tried?
Jul 26, 2010 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hearMotion

New Head-Fier
I was scouting around for portable digital sources for my D10 and I saw this thread and a few others like it.  The gist was the Treo 800w works as a USB host device with a cable hack and connects to devices that use generic drivers (USB keys, keyboards and from what I can tell USB sound devices).
http://www.wmexperts.com/treo-800w-usb-host-port-works

This seems too good to be true since there arent alot of portable devices with digital outs.  Has anyone tried it with something like the D10?

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 4
Good find, mate. The other problem I see is that it's possible that not every DAC chipset will work with it, for example the iPad only works with some chipsets :/ 

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah?  I had a hunch there might be a snag or two.  More chipset investigation is required :)

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 4
OK this is doing my nut in.  Reading about OTG, USB host mode and what-not.  I would have though any mobile device that you could plug directly into a USB DAC would be the shiz but im having trouble finding info.  
Can anyone shed some light on this?  Which devices do really support this kind of connection?
In the meanwhile I bought an S:Flo2 for giggles.  Not supposing this supports OTG or USB host mode either.  Who can tell...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back