Trends TA-10 Class-T Stereo Amplifier and K1000?
Feb 3, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 24
I don't know how...
frown.gif
I have 0 soldering or DIY experience.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how...
frown.gif
I have 0 soldering or DIY experience.

If I follow what they are talking about you don't need to solder, wire wrap the resistore around the terminalposts and screw tight and use banana plugs with the K1000 so they can both be attached. maybe aother user who does this will be kind enough to post a pic for yolu to see what they've done.

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 24
Could you please show some pics of your speaker terminal. I understand the point but I can't imagine what it will be.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #19 of 24
Ok, for all who wants to see this, go to the link below and scroll about half way down and you'll see a shot of the back of a Red Wine Clari-t with shunt resistors attached to the speaker posts specifically for the K1000. This is pretty much how I imagined it.

Ok, off to 6moons we go
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews.../followup.html

So, adding 5 Watt 4 Ohm resistors seems to be a good solution for running the K1000 with a t-amp. I'm gonna do that myself with a new TA-10.1 wired internally with an XLR socket fitted to the front panel so I can plug my K1000s directly into the amp without the tail section. Perfect little portable K-amp
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 24
Vinnie at Red Wine seems to think the 5 w 4 ohm one works well on his t-amp so that's what I'm going to use on mine. It's basically to tame the ever increasing high frequency output with increasing impedence. At 120 ohm it'll be very high. With a 4 ohm resistor across the terminals it should be capped pretty well if I understand the reasoning. Should help the K1000 sound less shrill and thin.

If I'm completely off course here I'm sure one of the more tech savvy guys will step in and correct me.

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #22 of 24
As a test, I currently have my K1000 hooked directly into my SI t-amp and while it works it does sound thin and sorely lacking in the bass/fullness/weight department. The highs are a bit whispy and spikey and overall it loses the magic that makes them sound so damn good. The Trends will sound better as it doesn't suffer the same degree of bass rolloff as the SI but it will more than likely still be thin sounding and far from showing the K1000 at anywhere near what they should be.

I don't have resistors connected because my local rat shack didn't have them so the amp is not getting properly loaded resulting in excess HF output. While the resistors will tame the highs at the expense of some power it probably will not fill out the lower registers to any degree. It's still listenable, nothing speacial though.

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #23 of 24
My Charlize is not thin sounding in my system.
k1000smile.gif

BTW, if you are not sure, why not get a couple 8 ohm, and a couple 4 ohm, and see if it makes a difference. If I would have thought about it, I probably would have. I am not sure it will, you just want to make sure the amp sees a load that is low enough so that the ultra sonic filter works properly. It will change the corner frequency, but it should be out of you hearing range anyway.

Randy

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #24 of 24
Interesting, maybe it's just the SI that sounds thin for whatever reason. I'm still getting a TA-10 so I'll see how it does. In the meantime, since my phones are wired backwards I snikked off the XLR plug and have the bare wires going straight into my Hafler 220 and it sounds amazing, better bass, smoother and warmer. That harsh sound you can get from the K1K has all but vanished and so has the metallic sheen from strings. Sibilance is very well controlled and it all sounds great.

I can't understand why even with recables people still terminate with an xlr instead of spades or bananas. Cutting out those extra steps seems a logical step which no-one does. I'm keeping mine as a direct speaker post conection from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back