Trends TA-10 Class-T Stereo Amplifier and K1000?
Dec 13, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 24
I have a highly modified version based on these mods: http://www.michael.mardis.com/trendamp/mods-1.htm

I must say..it's wonderful. Better than the original T-amp or the Super T-amp I use to own. For me, it's powered by SLAB (Sealed Lead Acid Battery) and driving my speakers. I wish I had K1000 to audition with it. I can only imagine it to be great
k1000smile.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 24
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

"One can use the t-Amp as headphone amp, with caution: first of all, there's no output jack so one has to adapt the speakers posts to a female jack. Secondly, frequency response rises at the highs as the load increases. Tripath claims the output filter should be designed to make the amp linear till 16 ohms. Hence, I'd suggest using extremely low impedance headphones or ask a techinician to modify the output filter settings."

For the k1000, 120 ohm, this could be a problem. However I'm not an expert and it has been done.

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by basb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

"One can use the t-Amp as headphone amp, with caution: first of all, there's no output jack so one has to adapt the speakers posts to a female jack. Secondly, frequency response rises at the highs as the load increases. Tripath claims the output filter should be designed to make the amp linear till 16 ohms. Hence, I'd suggest using extremely low impedance headphones or ask a techinician to modify the output filter settings."

For the k1000, 120 ohm, this could be a problem. However I'm not an expert and it has been done.

The k100o is not a headphone in that respect. It's meant to be driven from the speaker terminals of an amp.

Feb 3, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The k100o is not a headphone in that respect. It's meant to be driven from the speaker terminals of an amp.

That's not the point.
Digital amps require an output filter, you have to filter out the high frequency noise out of the output. Since the amps are meant to power speakers, these filters are designed to work driving around a 4 or 8 ohm load. There was a long thread about the potential for damaging the k1000 using a sonic impact to drive it.

To get around this, I put an 8 ohm resistor on the output of my Charlize, when it drives my K1000's. The amp sees a 8 ohm load, so the filter works as designed. The charlize has enough power to drive the resistor, and the k1000's.

Randy

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 24
The Red Wine Audio Sig30 is a digital amp, using the Tripath chip, and many members of this forum use it with their k1000 without a problem..
rolleyes.gif

So, if i get a "Big Joe" amp, this problem (?) will be eleminated, as Big Joe is not a digital amp?

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Red Wine Audio Sig30 is a digital amp, using the Tripath chip, and many members of this forum use it with their k1000 without a problem..
rolleyes.gif

So, if i get a "Big Joe" amp, this problem (?) will be eleminated, as Big Joe is not a digital amp?

The Red Wine is a different chipset and highly modified component set, plus it very costly, presumably partially to eliminate the problems of the bog-standard t-amps.

No, Big Joe is not digital.

Never having heard either I cannot personally vouch for them but I assume they work fine with the K1000.

Feb 3, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 24
The thing is i need something cheap for k1000, until i get more money to buy a better amp. The Trends TA-10 fits the bill, but now after hearing that it may damage my k1000, i'm not so sure anymore...
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Ghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is i need something cheap for k1000, until i get more money to buy a better amp. The Trends TA-10 fits the bill, but now after hearing that it may damage my k1000, i'm not so sure anymore...
frown.gif

This is a potential problem, not a proven one as far as I'm aware. The biggest issue I've heard of with the t-amp is that the K1000 sounds thin and strident with it, but then, there are t-amps and there are t-amps. Not all are created equal as you know. Personally I'd be more tempted by the Big Joe until you can get better. I do have a t-amp that I use with some Staxes at work and I can test drive the K1000 with it on monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back