Travel headphones for the audiophile
Aug 20, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 27
The AKG N90Qs sound pretty amazing, and Tyll on Innerfidelity said they would suit the well-to-do business traveller. I listen to them more than anything else, as they're the most versatile headphones I've ever heard - They sound good with all types of music, plus they're noise cancelling. The only down side is that they cost a bit more than $500.
Hmmmm, well I'm no longer well to do or a business traveller, which was one of the reasons for setting a limit. The other was the thought of having expensive headphones damaged while travelling was the other. I have AKG N60s for noise cancelling and when I have to pack hand luggage only and they work well.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 27
maxresdefault.jpg
Thanks

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 27
I'd suggest the B&O H6's, they're very lightweight comfortable and do fold like the akg 550's

Ive tried dozens of premium high end headphones and once the B&O H6's are properly burned in they dont disappoint in almost any department, a nice crisp clear sounding headphone with lucious mids sweet highs and enough bass once fully burned in. They're currently going for 190 euros at amazon.de

Many were satisfied with the sound even with the initial 400$/Euros price tag
As that's another voice for the H6s then maybe i should plan to try them out.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #20 of 27
As that's another voice for the H6s then maybe i should plan to try them out.
Something that you should be aware if you decide to pull the trigger on them as that many have complained with the stock cable that they come with, It sort of feels like a iphones charging cable. But to be honest it doesnt bug me too much and i have decided against buying another cable for the time being.

Also, although as advertised its made to work with apple products and other mobile devices, I think their true beauty will shine with an amp(NOTE: that doesnt mean you wont enjoy them straight out of your mobile devie/computer just giving my opinion)...

Sometimes ill be listening to them straight from my macbook air and I wish they could go louder (from youtube) but if im on itunes and I listen to well recorded album then the sound is way more than needed. Just thought id put that in there for you

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #21 of 27
And let me take some time out to mention the soundstage, damn its simply amazing.

I have spoiled my ears with higher end headphones and honestly at the moment i dont even miss open headphones just because im so satisfied with the soundstage on these.

You wont be disappointed.

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #22 of 27
And let me take some time out to mention the soundstage, damn its simply amazing.

I have spoiled my ears with higher end headphones and honestly at the moment i dont even miss open headphones just because im so satisfied with the soundstage on these.

You wont be disappointed.
Thanks and with your enthusiastic recommendation I will make sure to hear them as soon as I can.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #23 of 27
I suggest trying out the foldable Sennheiser HD630 VB - I was very underwhelmed by everything I've read about it online - only to find out IRL that it basically has HD 598 technicalities in a closed-back form factor.
If you can get a deal on a 630 for less than 400$, it's a great headphone despite its gimmicky look, i think it is vastly better than Fostex TH 610 and only very slightly gets out-edged by TH900 or Denon D7200.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #25 of 27
I suggest trying out the foldable Sennheiser HD630 VB - I was very underwhelmed by everything I've read about it online - only to find out IRL that it basically has HD 598 technicalities in a closed-back form factor.
If you can get a deal on a 630 for less than 400$, it's a great headphone despite its gimmicky look, i think it is vastly better than Fostex TH 610 and only very slightly gets out-edged by TH900 or Denon D7200.

Very nice. I almost wish I was in the market for another headphone in this price range. Are they comfortable? I hate clamp...cannot get hd650s on my head but love my hd580s and HD598s. Those 630s look huge and I noticed the cable is not detachable.

Aug 26, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #26 of 27
Have you considered to spend your budget on a good IEM? I travel a lot, often with long flights and I went down on the same road. I was only focusing on full size cans, but after a while I ended up with a Mojo and Lear’s LCM-5. Makes life much more enjoyable and easier.

Aug 26, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #27 of 27
Have you considered to spend your budget on a good IEM? I travel a lot, often with long flights and I went down on the same road. I was only focusing on full size cans, but after a while I ended up with a Mojo and Lear’s LCM-5. Makes life much more enjoyable and easier.
Its a fair point, but I have never found iems comfortable for extended listening and so have never considered them properly. I am coming down in favour of the Meze 99s overall and despite there is no perfect answer. Maybe I should also look at iems again before doing that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back