Travel headphones for the audiophile
Aug 17, 2017 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

dadracer2

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, ok I wasn't sure where best to start this up but given the parameters I think this is the best place.

So my question/issue is this. What do people rate as their top pick for a full size headphone which can be used while travelling? Not noise cancelling headphones but actual full size headphones that will deliver high quality sound from a portable device. Closed back almost certainly, foldable would be nice, a proper cable to each ear cup would be preferred in order to maintain the best sound stage, but no bluetooth needed.

If it could be below 500 $€£ that would mean there is less worry about transporting them around and sustaining knocks or bumps.

Sound quality is the key factor, but of course that is a discussion of its own, so can we just take that as a given?

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 27
I would suggest the Meze 99 Neo. They are easily driven, look and sound great. Very comfortable. Not foldable but they come with a nice compact hard case. Dual entry cable.
Cool, yes actually I had been thinking of the 99 Classics in any event but the Neos are also a good shout. Shame about the non folding!

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 27
I did not mention the Classics because I do not have them but if you prefer the wood then that is also an option. Funny thing about folding headphones... I have some but never fold them because I always worry that the hinge might break. So I prefer them to be non folding. You could also consider the B&O H6. They also sound very good and are a bit more compact. I have mine in a flat compact case. They came with a bag. They are full size for me but some say the pads are more on ear for them. If I needed to take a trip I would take them or the Mezes. The Mezes are just a bit more comfy for me personally. Others might disagree.

What headphones do you already own and like?

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 27
I did not mention the Classics because I do not have them but if you prefer the wood then that is also an option. Funny thing about folding headphones... I have some but never fold them because I always worry that the hinge might break. So I prefer them to be non folding. You could also consider the B&O H6. They also sound very good and are a bit more compact. I have mine in a flat compact case. They came with a bag. They are full size for me but some say the pads are more on ear for them. If I needed to take a trip I would take them or the Mezes. The Mezes are just a bit more comfy for me personally. Others might disagree.

What headphones do you already own and like?
I had been thinking more on the 99 Classics as I had a loan pair a bit back. I tried some of the B&O phones recently and found them all a bit rolled off at each end to my ears. I have HD800s and HD800Ss for serious listening and currently AKG N60s for travel/noise cancelling duties but I have listened to and enjoyed the Sennheiser PXC550s. I am not a fan of the Sennheiser Momentums however and don't find them comfortable.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 27
Oppo PM-3 is relatively small, improves with an amplifier but can be connected directly, has a detachable cable on one side which is more convenient, it's a bit on the heavy side but very comfortable. However, closed backs are more take to the office headphones, IEMs (SE535, ER4SR/XR in the same price range) are more portable and have better sound isolation.

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 27
Oppo PM-3 is relatively small, improves with an amplifier but can be connected directly, has a detachable cable on one side which is more convenient, it's a bit on the heavy side but very comfortable. However, closed backs are more take to the office headphones, IEMs (SE535, ER4SR/XR in the same price range) are more portable and have better sound isolation.
Thanks, and yes they were also on my list, but I haven't heard them yet myself. I am not a big fan of IEMs despite their sound and compactness.

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 27
Ok, ok I wasn't sure where best to start this up but given the parameters I think this is the best place.

So my question/issue is this. What do people rate as their top pick for a full size headphone which can be used while travelling? Not noise cancelling headphones but actual full size headphones that will deliver high quality sound from a portable device. Closed back almost certainly, foldable would be nice, a proper cable to each ear cup would be preferred in order to maintain the best sound stage, but no bluetooth needed.

If it could be below 500 $€£ that would mean there is less worry about transporting them around and sustaining knocks or bumps.

Sound quality is the key factor, but of course that is a discussion of its own, so can we just take that as a given?

AKG K550 MkII

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 27
Until fairly recently the Sennheiser HD25 was almost the default choice for the audiophile on the go.

Still sound good to great source dependent and can take one hell of a beating.

EDIT sorry I suppose these can't be classed as full size. But for travel that to me is an advantage. Discrete zero bling, less chance of being mugged, can be worn comfortably round neck when not in use. Cool in hot weather. Still comfortable IMO and brilliant isolation.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 27
The AKG N90Qs sound pretty amazing, and Tyll on Innerfidelity said they would suit the well-to-do business traveller. I listen to them more than anything else, as they're the most versatile headphones I've ever heard - They sound good with all types of music, plus they're noise cancelling. The only down side is that they cost a bit more than $500.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 27
I was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago and bought and returned 8 different headphones in the pursuit of the best truly portable headphone. In the end, I decided to save for another 2 months in order to stretch my budget to near $1,000. I'm glad I did.

I ended up buying the B&W P9, and 3 months later, I'm 100% satisfied. They're so good that I now use them most of the time at home also. My open cans are gathering dust. Granted, they're all mid-fi (400i, HD600, and Fidelio X2), but I still find it pretty impressive that a closed set of portable cans can replace quality open headphones for critical at home listening without me missing the open airyness that those headphones are known for.

Being able to listen to my lossless music on the go without compromise and without having to drag a separate amp around with me has spoiled me. I don't think I'll ever buy high impedance cans again. The P9 paired with the LG V20 is my perfect "audiophile rig".

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 27
Ok thanks. Does it fold?

maxresdefault.jpg

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 27
I'd suggest the B&O H6's, they're very lightweight comfortable and do fold like the akg 550's

Ive tried dozens of premium high end headphones and once the B&O H6's are properly burned in they dont disappoint in almost any department, a nice crisp clear sounding headphone with lucious mids sweet highs and enough bass once fully burned in. They're currently going for 190 euros at amazon.de

Many were satisfied with the sound even with the initial 400$/Euros price tag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back