Transport Recommendations
Jan 22, 2008 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jpr703

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking about going to a seperate DAC/Transport. I currently have a NAD c542. Anyone have any experience with this unit as a transport? Would it do justice to a good DAC or should I consider replacing it with a unit built as a transport only?

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 20
This is an excllent question. I use my NAD C 542 as a transport. My DAC is the Channel Islands VDA-2 (with the VAC-1 power supply). This is an excellent combination--perhaps the best I have owned. The sound is smooth, authoritative, and transparent (among other things). The realism in the VDA-2 easily surpasses that of the DAC and op-amp output stage in the NAD. In fact, the VDA-2 is quite a unique DAC in that it is one of the few pieces of digital gear these days that does not use op-amps. Also, with regard to the NAD, it has a buffered, isolated digital output.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as it is bit-perfect, it doesn't matter.

Here we go again.
rolleyes.gif

That's a bold statement, and I'd be willing to bet that you've never compared everyday transports to high end transports. There is a very big difference!

That's not saying that you have to spend a fortune on a transport to get good sound, but you need to be selective. As far as used transports go, the PS Audio Lambda and the Theta Data Basic are both considered to be excellent transports at a very reasonable price.
I've not listened to the NAD as a transport, but I wouldn't be surprised if it performed nicely.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 20
This is a "no brainer."

The Cal Audio Delta Transport is superb... and at about $250... its simply and incredible value. No longer made... but... "built like a tank" - and the sound it produces is noticeably better than any CDP transport - a richer, more weighty and organic sound - very much like analog vinyl. Most digital sound is lean and sterile - not so, with Cal Audio products. You have to hear it to believe it - but, its true!

Oh yes... and by the way... the incredible sound it produces has nothing to do with "1s and 0s" - its in the design, construction, materials, components, and electronics - which may produce, or eliminate distortion... but its highly musical... whatever. And noticeably better than other types of tranports - except, perhaps, Thetas.

You can find several on Audiogon right now.

But... I'm sure any of the Thetas are also excellent.

I would however add... that... while the sound is better than CDP transports... I would not suggest its so superior as to justify a huge investment in a "high-end" transport. That's why I suggest the Delta... you can get one at a reasonable price... try it out... and recover your investment with no problems, if you don't think its sufficiently better. For me it is... I have two.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a "no brainer."

The Cal Audio Delta Transport is superb... and at about $250... its simply and incredible value. No longer made... but... "built like a tank" - and the sound it produces is noticeably better than any CDP transport. You have to hear it to believe it - but, its true!

Oh yes... and by the way... the incredible sound it produces has nothing to do with "1s and 0s" - its in the design, construction, materials, components, and electronics - which may produce, or eliminate distortion... but its highly musical... whatever. And noticeably better than other types of tranports - except, perhaps, Thetas.

You can find several on Audiogon right now.

But... I'm sure any of the Thetas are also excellent.

Noticeably better than any transport? Has nothing to do with "1's and 0's"? Where do you come up with this stuff? :rolleyes

The Theta Data 2 is the best older technology transport I have ever heard including the Cal. The Cal was always well regarded but never as highly regarded as the Theta or the PS Audio Lambda units. I always wanted a Theta but I ended up with a used PS Audio because I found a mint unit for a price I could afford. The Cal is a nice unit but the improvement in clock technology of newer digital has almost completely negated the sound quality advantages of the older transports.

Even back in 2003 when I had my Sony 555es changer modded with an aftermarket clock .... the digital out/clock combo on the Sony ended up as good, if not better, than my "high end" Lambda .... so I sold the Lambda. IMO, the newer digital players (cd not dvd players) with low jitter clocks or modded players with aftermarket clocks will go toe to toe with any of the older high end transports.

Finally, you are stating a Cal CD transport makes sound so amazing you need to hear it to believe the difference. But just yesterday you wrote in another thread .....

referring to the variations in CDPs, and between DACs, and between amps - there is very little difference from one SS amp to another, or from one tube amp to another, or one SS CDP to another, or one SS DAC to another, etc. (less than 5%+ for most) - especially after you get to the $500 to $1000 range for home equipment, and $100 to $200 range for portable equipment. Spending a lot more buys you very little improvement.

So a ten year old transport makes a huge difference but new technology cd players, dac's and amps make virtually no difference. I am also curious .... how do you quantify a less than 5% difference? What measuring tool did you use .... or is that just a figure you pulled out of the air?
confused.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noticeably better than any transport? Has nothing to do with "1's and 0's"? Where do you come up with this stuff? :rolleyes

The Theta Data 2 is the best older technology transport I have ever heard including the Cal. The Cal was always well regarded but never as highly regarded as the Theta or the PS Audio Lambda units. I always wanted a Theta but I ended up with a used PS Audio because I found a mint unit for a price I could afford. The Cal is a nice unit but the improvement in clock technology of newer digital has almost completely negated the sound quality advantages of the older transports.

Even back in 2003 when I had my Sony 555es changer modded with an aftermarket clock .... the digital out/clock combo on the Sony ended up as good, if not better, than my "high end" Lambda .... so I sold the Lambda. IMO, the newer digital players (cd not dvd players) with low jitter clocks or modded players with aftermarket clocks will go toe to toe with any of the older high end transports.

Finally, you are stating a Cal CD transport makes sound so amazing you need to hear it to believe the difference. But just yesterday you wrote in another thread .....

referring to the variations in CDPs, and between DACs, and between amps - there is very little difference from one SS amp to another, or from one tube amp to another, or one SS CDP to another, or one SS DAC to another, etc. (less than 5%+ for most) - especially after you get to the $500 to $1000 range for home equipment, and $100 to $200 range for portable equipment. Spending a lot more buys you very little improvement.

So a ten year old transport makes a huge difference but new technology cd players, dac's and amps make virtually no difference. I am also curious .... how do you quantify a less than 5% difference? What measuring tool did you use .... or is that just a figure you pulled out of the air?
confused.gif

Here's your answer - its in their inherent sound relative to their cost - nothing else matters.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/wha...n-dacs-288529/

I challenge you to find a $250 transport that sounds as good as the Delta.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 20
I'm sure there's a more formal definition out there, but here's mine. A transport is a device that will provide a digital output. The digital output signal is fed into a DAC (digital-to-analog converter).

A CD/DVD "player" can perform both the transport and conversion duties. A transport performs only the digital output part. A CD/DVD player can be used as a transport if you connect its digital output to an external (aka outboard) DAC device.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's your answer - its in their inherent sound relative to their cost - nothing else matters.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/wha...n-dacs-288529/

I challenge you to find a $250 transport that sounds as good as the Delta.

Which answers what?

You stated ....

I asked ....

The Cal is a nice cd transport like I said. I never questioned the transports value. I questioned ....

The Cal Audio Delta Transport is superb... and the sound it produces is noticeably better than any CDP transport.

Oh yes... and by the way... the incredible sound it produces has nothing to do with "1s and 0s" -

A lot of the better, older transports like the Thetas and Lambda's are showing up for relatively similar prices too. The Cal was a $799-899 transport in the day vs around $2000 for the Theta's and Lambda's. All of these are nice units until their laser expires.

FYI, my dacs all cost much less than your Monarchy .... Ori Zhalou $450, used zap filter Zhalou $475. But, my point is the dac's sound QUITE different despite being at the same price point. You seem to lecture people on value and fail to notice other people have been buying used or modding players to get performance well beyond their cost all along.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about going to a seperate DAC/Transport. I currently have a NAD c542. Anyone have any experience with this unit as a transport? Would it do justice to a good DAC or should I consider replacing it with a unit built as a transport only?

If you're thinking about getting a different transport, have you considered using your computer or something like a Squeezebox as a transport? CD players are terrific (and NAD makes nice ones) and I use one regularly, but none of them offer the ease and flexibility that a computer or Squeezebox will.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to fix up my system with an iTV hooked to a DAC running into the rig. Then, I'll be able to remotely control the music with my laptop or with the remote on the TV screen. I'll probably move all of my Red Book discs into that. Don't know if this would be right for you, but check it out before you buy.

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 20
There are interesting responses here...swt61 and sacd lover make excellent points. With regard to Gradofan2's points, I would agree that the CAL is a good buy at $250. I just love the build quality of the Delta, and Approved Audio (in Connecticut) seems to have a good supply of replacement parts--though, I inquired about a laser replacement, and they are quite expensive (usually upwards of $300). As you may discern, I have thought of getting a Delta myself.

However, I have refrained from buying the CAL, as clock technology has advanced greatly. Thus, I tend to doubt that a Delta could top the performance of my NAD C 542's transport. The NAD also has a nice digital output. Also, used C 542s are going for under $300 now...and, depending on condition, I have seen some sell for the same price Gradofan2 cites for the average CAL ($250).

I lament that the days of good stand-alone transports seem to belong to a bygone era (the two-box era of the 1990s). It would be great to see a worthy sub-$1000 transport--i.e. one that combines the build of a CAL with the modern advances in digital technology. I believe that such a component can be produced today--even in the sub-$1000 category...but who will do it?...probably no one. I have had conversations with reps from many high-end companies, but no such transport has emerged. I gather it is a matter of profit.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 20
Definitely a lot to think about. New transport only units do seem to be very hard to find, so I might just stick with the 'ol c542. Now I just gotta settle on a DAC--I wish Monarcy made a current version without the line stage.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 20
In terms of a DAC, I would look no further than the Channel Islands VDA-2. It has a good digital section, and a real output stage (rather than just an op-amp). This makes the VDA-2 a rare find these days, as op-amps are to be found in the overwhelming majority of players and DACs. Plus, the VDA-2 is made in the US (rather than China).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back