Transport Recommendations
Jan 24, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noticeably better than any transport? Has nothing to do with "1's and 0's"? Where do you come up with this stuff? :rolleyes

The Theta Data 2 is the best older technology transport I have ever heard including the Cal. The Cal was always well regarded but never as highly regarded as the Theta or the PS Audio Lambda units. I always wanted a Theta but I ended up with a used PS Audio because I found a mint unit for a price I could afford. The Cal is a nice unit but the improvement in clock technology of newer digital has almost completely negated the sound quality advantages of the older transports.

What are the differences between the Theta Data 1 and the Data 2 ? I own the Data 1 and I always thought people preferred it.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are interesting responses here...swt61 and sacd lover make excellent points. With regard to Gradofan2's points, I would agree that the CAL is a good buy at $250. I just love the build quality of the Delta, and Approved Audio (in Connecticut) seems to have a good supply of replacement parts--though, I inquired about a laser replacement, and they are quite expensive (usually upwards of $300). As you may discern, I have thought of getting a Delta myself.

However, I have refrained from buying the CAL, as clock technology has advanced greatly. Thus, I tend to doubt that a Delta could top the performance of my NAD C 542's transport. The NAD also has a nice digital output. Also, used C 542s are going for under $300 now...and, depending on condition, I have seen some sell for the same price Gradofan2 cites for the average CAL ($250).

I lament that the days of good stand-alone transports seem to belong to a bygone era (the two-box era of the 1990s). It would be great to see a worthy sub-$1000 transport--i.e. one that combines the build of a CAL with the modern advances in digital technology. I believe that such a component can be produced today--even in the sub-$1000 category...but who will do it?...probably no one. I have had conversations with reps from many high-end companies, but no such transport has emerged. I gather it is a matter of profit.

All good points.

I do believe a modern sub $1000 transport has been built that fits that criteria, but you need to be DIY skilled.

This is my new transport. At first I reported that I couldn't hear any differences between it and my PS Audio Lambda, but after more head to head comparisons I am detecting small differences, though very subtle.
I am very impressed with the spring loaded transport, a simple but very effective solution.

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is my new transport. At first I reported that I couldn't hear any differences between it and my PS Audio Lambda, but after more head to head comparisons I am detecting small differences, though very subtle.
I am very impressed with the spring loaded transport, a simple but very effective solution.

So how was playing with lasers and all those PCB's? Bet stuffing the case was a pain in the ass

Supposedly Sqeezebox's can compete with high end transports, and if thats not good enough, they offer the transporter as well
redface.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #19 of 20
I'm pretty certain that Steve didn't put it together himself. Something about being soldering-challenged but apparently very quick to the draw with a nail gun.
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 20
What about the Teac range with the various versions of the VRDS transport. These are top range performers and are used today by many many manufacturers of top notch CD players. Models include the VRDS 7, 10 and 25. Teac still use the same type of drive in their Esoteric range which provide outstanding sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back