Transit USB Thread
Aug 2, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 51
Currently I am using my ultralight laptop computer as my only computer until I get a new tower in a few weeks. I have all kinds of external stuff hookup to this tiny laptop making it look something like an octopus. A few weeks ago I bought an M-Audio transit so I could get sound from my computer to my reciever. The Transit is a USB 1.1 device. Initially I tried to daisy chain the Transit to an open port off my USB keyboard, (it is also a 1.1 hub). Installation balked at this configuration so I unhooked some stuff and connected the Transit directly to the laptop. It installed and worked with no problems. The only problems was I really didn't want to give up one of only (2) USB 2.0 ports my laptop had. Then I remebered I had bought a Belkin Tetrahub a few months earlier. The tetrahub is a special USB 2.0/1.1 hub that provides an independant 12mbps connection to EACH 1.1 connected device as opposed to most hubs which provide a SHARED 12mbps connection for all 1.1 devices. Anyway, the transit now works fine connected to the tetrahub.

Belkin often runs 50% off (list) deals directly through their website but you need a coupon code. Check dealnews.com. I don't know if the Transit would work OK off a regular USB 2.0 hub, but I am glad the tetrahub solved the problem for me. I have had problems before with USB devices that don't work off of hubs. Any solution that minimizes these kinds of problems is golden in my book.

Tetrahub

The transit works well and sounds great! I'm going to try digitizing some analog recordings in the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps - Z

Aug 2, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 51
Zurg,

Congrats on getting the Transit, it's a great little unit, I use mine at work all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
Thank you guys. Now I have to ask the same question about the Total Bithead and afterwards decide on what to get.

TBH is a soundcard + amp. If you're using a high sensitivity headphone, I wouldn't recommend it as the hiss and noise is quite annoying. I can barely use it with my Grados, and don't even bother with the Etys or Senn HD25. I'm looking into some other USB soundcard myself, such as the MAudio Transit mentioned here, or the M-Audio audiophile USB.

Can anyone speak to how much noise/hiss these usb soundcards have, when paired with phones like the Grados or Etys?

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
TBH is a soundcard + amp. If you're using a high sensitivity headphone, I wouldn't recommend it as the hiss and noise is quite annoying. I can barely use it with my Grados, and don't even bother with the Etys or Senn HD25. I'm looking into some other USB soundcard myself, such as the MAudio Transit mentioned here, or the M-Audio audiophile USB.

Can anyone speak to how much noise/hiss these usb soundcards have, when paired with phones like the Grados or Etys?

Thanks!

I use mine with etymotics and I don't get much in the way of hiss at all, certainly not to an annoying level that's for sure. I use mine with an amp.

Scott

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #20 of 51
I just got my superdual in the mail ... omg ... and am ordering an m-audio transit in the next few weeks. Is the difference in sound quality to the point I will notice with a ton of training, or is the difference in sound from ac-97 upgrading to m-audio transit enough to make me perk up and listen to my laptop again?

I am just worried that I'll be spending 80$ that I'll never use, and that'll make me cry at night. My superdual was a purchase I'd do about 10 more times, and am AMAZED at how much this little thing can do, it just needs a usb friend, and the transit is the perfect match!

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jink
I just got my superdual in the mail ... omg ... and am ordering an m-audio transit in the next few weeks. Is the difference in sound quality to the point I will notice with a ton of training, or is the difference in sound from ac-97 upgrading to m-audio transit enough to make me perk up and listen to my laptop again?

I am just worried that I'll be spending 80$ that I'll never use, and that'll make me cry at night. My superdual was a purchase I'd do about 10 more times, and am AMAZED at how much this little thing can do, it just needs a usb friend, and the transit is the perfect match!

I noticed a HUGE difference between my laptops native soundcard and the Transit, it is trully a wonderful source. And with the SuperDual it's even better, though it can drive headphones on it's own, the SD just puts it over the top for me (though it seems the SD and etys have an unusual synergy too).

Scott

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
I noticed a HUGE difference between my laptops native soundcard and the Transit, it is trully a wonderful source. And with the SuperDual it's even better, though it can drive headphones on it's own, the SD just puts it over the top for me (though it seems the SD and etys have an unusual synergy too).

Scott

That is awesome to hear! I saw a review of the transit on headwize, and was reluctant to purchase one as 80$ isn't something to just throw around. But your comments reassure me that it'll be alright. I am ordering on in the next few minutes =))

Are there any mods that can be done to the Transit? On headwize there were a couple posts talking about mods, but it made no sense to me (except upgrading caps on it).

And wow, I love my superdual, it makes my 595's have bass, and the clarity is unreal. I don't believe it is a placebo effect, I truely hear more now, I never thought I'd be convinced that an amp helps, but a superdual changed that... I feel guilty using the bass boost on it though, for some reason it seems like I shouldn't use it in a sound quality based listening session.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Are there any mods that can be done to the Transit? On headwize there were a couple posts talking about mods, but it made no sense to me (except upgrading caps on it).

And wow, I love my superdual, it makes my 595's have bass, and the clarity is unreal. I don't believe it is a placebo effect, I truely hear more now, I never thought I'd be convinced that an amp helps, but a superdual changed that... I feel guilty using the bass boost on it though, for some reason it seems like I shouldn't use it in a sound quality based listening session.

Anything can be hotrodded, it seems.

I think you might live with the Transit/SD combo for a while and see how it works for you. Then, if you are dissatisfied, you can consider looking into mods. I really can't see how the sound it gives me could be improved, but that may be my poverty of imagination.
wink.gif
Regardless, you need to get to know the product in order to have a baseline against which to measure the effect of modification.

Why feel guilty about using a feature you bought and paid for? If you like it, use it. The purists (if that's your concern) have already written you off as as a PC audio barbarian. Enjoy the freedom that confers. I use the Foobar crossfeed because it enhances my listening pleasure. Find your sound and go for it.

Please yourself, say I, and they
Need only look the other way . . .

Enjoy,

BW

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

That is awesome to hear! I saw a review of the transit on headwize, and was reluctant to purchase one as 80$ isn't something to just throw around. But your comments reassure me that it'll be alright. I am ordering on in the next few minutes =))

I'll concur with Bill here, I am sure there are mods that can be done, not sure how they would improve sound, but frankly I am quite happy with the stock sound on the Transit, suprisingly "big" sound from such a tiny package, and you can't go wrong for laptop listening. I too use foobar for my listening needs, it has a bit higher learning curve than something like Winamp, but pays off in the end.

Scott

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 51
Some members have modificated Sonica (e.g. Commando). The same same mods might be done to Transit since the design is similar.

BTW I got a chance to listen to stock EMU 1212m vs. Transit and I have to say I wasn't able to hear big differences between them via XP-7 and MS-2's. However Lojay had only cheap & crappy cables and I also need more time to listen to EMU 1212m. On the other side, Benchmark DAC-1 simply outclassed Transit performance.

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
On the other side, Benchmark DAC-1 simply outclassed Transit performance.

One would hope so for the price difference!
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #28 of 51
Anyone know the sonic differences between the Transit and Audiophile USB?

Aug 4, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
BTW I got a chance to listen to stock EMU 1212m vs. Transit and I have to say I wasn't able to hear big differences between them via XP-7 and MS-2's.

Great, so I will go for Sonica then.

Hope I will be lucky enough to ABTest ECHO Mia and Sonica and 1212M laster.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by galileo_c
Great, so I will go for Sonica then.

Hope I will be lucky enough to ABTest ECHO Mia and Sonica and 1212M laster.

Is anyone still seling the Sonica? or are you buying used (since M-Audio no longer makes the Sonica, the Transit is the replacement for it).

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back