Transit USB Thread
May 30, 2004 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd love to hear how people have tweaked their setups using the Transit USB (what settings/software you are using and the settings you use).

I use foobar2000 almost exclusively these days (on my slightly older laptop, the low memory footprint with great features is just too much to resist). I'll post my foobar2000 settings soon.

Scott
cool.gif

May 31, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 51
Today I expermineted with plugging the Transit into my home theater setup, the optical output works like a DREAM. Granted my HT isn't the best for music playback (what it lacks in detail it makes up for with musicality, very warm and natural sounding). Playing some mp3s and Monkey Audio files. If you have a chance, give this a try.

Scott

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 51
After some experimenting with upsampling, I came back to 24 bit/44.1 kHz, ASIO plug-in. I use line/headphone out.

My settings:

Foobar2000 - 24bit fixed-point, DSP on (volume control only), no dither, ASIO (dll version, settings as default)

Transit's control panel: 2 in, 2 out, 24-bit, 8-48 kHz operating mode, high latency.

Jun 1, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
After some experimenting with upsampling, I came back to 24 bit/44.1 kHz, ASIO plug-in. I use line/headphone out.

My settings:

Foobar2000 - 24bit fixed-point, DSP on (volume control only), no dither, ASIO (dll version, settings as default)

Transit's control panel: 2 in, 2 out, 24-bit, 8-48 kHz operating mode, high latency.

That's about what I am using as well, I also use the crossfeed DSP as well. I'm srill not clear what the different "latency" settings do for the Transit do, but I have it set to high and it seems to work pretty well. As many have found, upsampling doesn't seem to improve sound very much at all.

Scott

Jun 1, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
I'm srill not clear what the different "latency" settings do for the Transit do, but I have it set to high and it seems to work pretty well.

A time ago I used Wodgy's test file and when I upsample to 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz with Foobar, I had to set the latency to be very high in order to avoid clipping and sound distortion. Thus the very high latency delayed the start of the track for such a long time. This was pretty disturbing, plus I didn't notice any sound quality improvement while upsampling.

Jun 1, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
A time ago I used Wodgy's test file and when I upsample to 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz with Foobar, I had to set the latency to be very high in order to avoid clipping and sound distortion. Thus the very high latency delayed the start of the track for such a long time. This was pretty disturbing, plus I didn't notice any sound quality improvement while upsampling.

Yeah, seems to not make much of a difference as far as sound quality, still a great sounding card for the price! If people are looking for a cheap alternative to the crappy sound on their laptops, the Transit is a very attractive little setup, and it drives my ety ER4P's wonderfully.

Scott

Jun 5, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 51
Got a question. I use the transit exclusively for CD playback with Foobar. Any recommendations for the full file buffering setting?

And does Foobar have a manual anywhere on the web? I can find the FAQ, but I was hoping for something a bit more systematic. Am I overlooking it?

Thanks,

BW

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Got a question. I use the transit exclusively for CD playback with Foobar. Any recommendations for the full file buffering setting?

And does Foobar have a manual anywhere on the web? I can find the FAQ, but I was hoping for something a bit more systematic. Am I overlooking it?

Thanks,

BW

Not much in the ay of full docs, most people find their answers in the foobar forums. As far as the full file buffering, I have mine set on around 1mb and it seems to do the job nicely, but I have it set there because I sometimes listen to files over over a wireless network, so a little buffering isn't a bad idea. I doubt it impacts quality one way or another, and if you're only listening to CDs, I don't think you'll need it.

Scott

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 51
I'm using my transit with the analog outs into a headroom little headphone amp or into my computer speakers, and I'm using the digital out through a 30 foot toslink cable into my Marantz home theatre receiver in another room. When I try the 2 out 96K, I get lots of read errors (snap, crackle and pop). It works well with 2-in 2-out 24 bit, very low latency. I am using Winamp with directsound. I think the sound of my ABS MP3s is quite good using toslink through my big stereo. Is it really going to make a difference to use the ASIO drivers or Foobar? Is anyone using the ASIO drivers with Winamp successfully? If so, could you explain how you do it?

I also own an Xitel Pro. The analog output of the transit is quite superior to the Xitel. I don't notice much difference with the toslink digital output, except that I was getting some read errors with the Xitel. I'm using the Xitel in a different room through the co-ax outputs. It works well too, but I think the Transit is a higher quality product. Especially analog. Xitel analog output is disappointing.

Jun 22, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 51
All I can say:

Transit USB + Xin SuperDual = Synergy!

and I HATE using the word synergy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 51
Hey, anybody knows if the Transit would work well using Windows 2000 Professional? I'll use it in the office, so I would like to know before gettin one. Thanks.

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onix
Hey, anybody knows if the Transit would work well using Windows 2000 Professional? I'll use it in the office, so I would like to know before gettin one. Thanks.

i don't see any reason why it won't. FYI i am using mine with xp professional.

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 51
I use mine with XP as well, 2000 shouldn't be a problem.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 51
On Win ME and XP Transit's drivers work fine.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 51
Thank you guys. Now I have to ask the same question about the Total Bithead and afterwards decide on what to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back