Transformers movie thread
Jul 5, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #46 of 136
Wow that is some hardcore animation!

I can only imagine how long and complicated making/rendering one character must be.Although I'm sure they work in teams, but still!

Props to the artists.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #47 of 136
Quote:

Back to the script. I absolutely cannot stop talking about it with my brother and friends. I had to break away and vent here because they can't take it anymore. What a classless, trite, predictable, insulting to call humor piece of trash. Why the humor angle in the first place? I felt dirty after watching this movie. Jokes about masturbation and lubrication, transformers pissing on someone, in a film that you know little kids are going to be seeing? A transformer that talks "with soul" and calles people bitches? What is going on here?? What am I watching exactly? Why are the people around us laughing? Scary.

Are morals your basis in thrashing this film? Because it sounds like it.

Also, Michael Bay have like half the budget compared to Spiderman 3 to make this film, knowing that makes the whole movie even more incredible.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #48 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, it's been many Transformer generations since I checked back in...

Megatron went from this:

megatron1.jpg

Don't forget he magically shrank while transforming into the gun.
smily_headphones1.gif

to this:

megatron.jpg

At first, I wasn't enthralled. But after some repeated viewings, I think I like it!

you've got to be kidding me in that first pic; you just know the designer said "hey, let's make his dick into a gun"

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #49 of 136
had great cinematics and good moments, even some suprisingly good humor, but the cinemetagrophy degenerated into a choppy mess, the timing was off all over the place (ex: you see litle glimpses of prime before he comes on scene, the dramatic-factor was just "off"). megan fox was ok (and of course unbelieavably sexy), but once the **** started hitting the fan she became terrible beyond belief, every line from her seemed completely without emotion and took me out of the action, ending was a bit lame as well

all in all, as expected the big amazing transforming robots were pretty great, and then you get suprised by some good humor, and then you get let down that with goofy plot elements (sector7 guy: What was up with that? very lame) and crappy acting and cinematagrophy/editing

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #50 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They did. I can't find the link, but it was confirmed a couple of months ago

yes, and he was very good; a great and noble "lord of the universe" type voice, fatherly, noble, but with that tinge of sadness that comes from noing you might have to sacrifice yourself

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #51 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhristmas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really shouldn't judge a movie before seeing it. Many hardcore G1 fans felt the same as you did and most of them were converted by the movie's genuine awesomeness. It takes a certain amount of premeditated hate to truly despise this movie. It wasn't made for intelligent film analyses, but to convert two hours of your time into pure fun, and it certainly delivers in this respect.

Here are a few sample reviews from some of these converts: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33186

You're right. I shouldn't. But I'm going to.

Some prime examples of other movies I hated were Terminator 3 and Matrix Revolutions. When a movie ceases to be about something even slightly meaningful it's really hard for me to watch it. There are movies I watch for fun and movies I watch to provoke some thought and some I see just to be fascinated by the art of film making, but for the most part I like to stay within the bounds of cohesiveness and coherency. There are some Godard films I can't stand because they veer well outside these bounds. Similarly, it's simply not fun for me to watch a special effects movie tied loosely together by worthless storytelling and lowest-common-denominator dialog. I swear can feel it eating away at my brain matter and drilling holes in my soul. Trust me: I am by no means a purist or solely an art house film-goer. I thought the X-Men and Spiderman movies that I saw were entirely worthwhile. But from the trailer The Transformers looked to be just another summer special effects extravaganza with poorly conceived and bastardized Transformers superimposed over top. If you can promise me that this movie isn't exactly like Terminator 3 but with Transformers then perhaps I will reconsider.

Part of my issue is that I simply can't understand why stupid films like I'm imagining this one to be continue to be made. It saddens me completely, and it breaks my heart to time and again be disappointed by decent franchises put in the hands of no-talent directors. I don't want to believe that the movie-going public wants these movies, but maybe I'm wrong. When Batman Begins (admittedly not a no-talent director in this case) seemed so divorced of the spirit of the first two Batman movies (which rang true to Batman, IMO) and people praised it for being modern (aka, flat and like everything else) I really had to wonder where people's taste for the unique went. When a freaking cartoon for kids (Batman Beyond) is truer to the spirit of a franchise and more intelligent than a movie for adults I really have to wonder: is the average moviegoer truly unable to discern authenticity from crap? When I hear people say "The story was cheesy and there were some dumb things about it but the special effects were amazing," I feel like the film industry has won. They have resorted to making dumb movies with a little something for everyone in an attempt to appeal to the most number of people. When they are aiming for tolerability and riding on special effects and most people are pretty much saying, "Well, I overlooked the bad parts because of the great special effects," I feel like the film industry's strategy is working perfectly, and it makes me sad because it's resulted in a rapid decline in quality that ruins movies I've been secretly awaiting for years.

I do have to give them X-Men and Spiderman, but The Transformers was the one big one I was waiting for. Please excuse my taking all this too seriously and the resulting rant above. I know I should just see it and decide for myself, but I feel like I need to stick to my guns on this one.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #52 of 136
Saw the movie the other night. Quite good actually. A bit hammy and a bit cheesy (like the cartoon) but the SFX were spiffy and it didn't really take itself too seriously.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #54 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by Superpredator
If you can promise me that this movie isn't exactly like Terminator 3 but with Transformers then perhaps I will reconsider.

Dude, I swear to you, in terms of pure entertaiment,Transformers is leagues and leagues beyond the pile of crap that T3 (unfortunately) was. I was so disappointed in that one. I have Terminator and T2 in my DVD collection and they gain pretty good viewing rotation. I don't even bother catching T3 when it shows on TV. I'm not going to go into any details because I really don't like talking about movies I had a bad time with, but I promise that they are nothing alike.

You want to know the films that Transformers is mostly compared to? It's Jurassic Park and Independence Day, two classic sci - fi flicks (not films) that are not necessarily known for their storytelling techniques, but instead are known for raising the bar for special effects and sumer movie entertainment. This is what Transformers is. It's "one of those films".

And besides, you said that you saw the X - Men movies. While X2 remains one of my favorite comic book movies of all time, X3 was, like T3, pure crap in my eyes. If you managed to enjoy yourself with that one (the story wasn't too great there, either), then you'll definitely have fun with Transformers.

Oh, and about "stupid films", I can actually agree with you on that one, but this one isn't entirely stupid. It stays true to the source material as much as possible without looking or sounding like Mortal Kombat Annihilation. The only reason this film even enters into the realm of stupidity is because it's A MICHAEL BAY FILM, and you've had plenty of warning by this time. Yes, he's an absolutely terrible storyteller, but the man knows his visuals, especially in this one.

I actually believe that the story isn't to blame, but it's Bay's execution of it. The one thing that makes it truly fall flat on its face is continuously, bad and unnecessary comedy which could have all been easily facelifted off the dialogue. There are also unnecessary characters that could easily have been written out, but trust me, as much bad comedy as there is, it never, ever falls as bad as Ice Age 2 and Shrek 3 (which I thought was unfunny in every single way), or the stuff they tried (badly) to do in the Fantastic Four movies. So, if you filter out all the crap they kept in so that the 7 year olds in the audience wouldn't fall asleep (as they usually do when there's exposition present), there's actually a story under there that cohesively makes sense. It's not complex, nor is it perfect, but it's definitely something you'd buy.

Again, Transformers isn't a film, it's an experience.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #55 of 136
Also, take a look around this topic, as much more of our fellow head - fiers loved the movie more than hated it. I doubt this many of us would support "stupid movies" like this. Again, it's not perfect, so it won't satisfy everyone, but if you give it a chance, then it might very well please you.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #56 of 136
Quote:

The movie is two and a half hours. Exactly half of that time is devoted to the human side and the other to the Transformers. The final battle alone is 40 minutes in length, and is completely non - stop action. The movie ticket price alone is, for me, entirely worth it, because you'll miss out entirely on the experience if you see this on the small screen. And more than an hour of Transformers time is much more than the 20 mins. you seem to be expecting.

Hellz yah!

Gotta see it in a theater.

Woot, another shoutout for a great action flick.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #57 of 136
Quote:

The movie is two and a half hours. Exactly half of that time is devoted to the human side and the other to the Transformers. The final battle alone is 40 minutes in length, and is completely non - stop action. The movie ticket price alone is, for me, entirely worth it, because you'll miss out entirely on the experience if you see this on the small screen. And more than an hour of Transformers time is much more than the 20 mins. you seem to be expecting.

When I said "20 minutes" I was just pulling a number out of the air, and I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to come in and correct me.

It's good to know that there are a lot of good and lengthy (> 20 minute) action/cgi scenes, since they are the only parts I will be watching when/if I rent it. And I'm pretty sure it will look just fine pumping through BlueRay on my 60 inch Sony HDTV. The picture and sound of my home theater looks/sounds better than what any of my local theaters are capable of providing.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #58 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by xnothingpoetic
Wow that is some hardcore animation!

I can only imagine how long and complicated making/rendering one character must be.Although I'm sure they work in teams, but still!

Props to the artists.

"Due to the intricate designs of the Transformers, even the simplest notion of turning a wrist requires seventeen visible pieces, while each of Ironhide's guns is made of ten thousand parts. Such detail required thirty-eight hours to render each frame of animation, which meant ILM had to increase their processing facilities. In addition, there was the texture maps for the characters, and lighting simulations based on set photographs to make the robots fit in more with the live action environment."

For those of you who have seen the movie, check out lots more info at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_%28film%29

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #60 of 136
Those who have not seen it really need to take the time and do so.Even if the humor or sector seven guys is a big turn off for you then the battles along with the fluid animation of the robots is just something amazing that all fans of the series must see.

I fail to see how those who have not seen it can comment like that.Hell i even know a guy who loved the series but hates the movie even though he has not watched it yet
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back