Transformers movie thread
Jul 5, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #61 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Part of my issue is that I simply can't understand why stupid films like I'm imagining this one to be continue to be made. It saddens me completely, and it breaks my heart to time and again be disappointed by decent franchises put in the hands of no-talent directors.

You do realize how much money these movies make? Transformers has already broken some records, and will break $300m I'm sure. This is why they're made.

For a good comparison, how about popular top40 music? Most of it is crap, yet it sells like hot cakes. These things DO appeal to the general public, and that's just reality. Honestly, if a Transformers movie was created for the adult fans of original series, it wouldn't do nearly as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather see the same special effects coupled with a quality script, story, and acting. I'm capable though of suspending my disappointment and childhood memories, and enjoying a silly movie with insane special effects and action. Should I feel guilty for enjoying giant CGI robots fighting? No, it's fun to see, regardless if it represents the original series or not.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #62 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize how much money these movies make? Transformers has already broken some records, and will break $300m I'm sure. This is why they're made.

Yes I do realize it, and I've done my fair share of reading on the moviemaking system and on why the blockbuster must rake it in on opening weekend. Many movies are not profitable, and to prevent loss due to word of mouth about bad movies studios have created a system that crams as many people into theaters on opening weekend as possible.

Remember that the movie studios--as with music labels--often have no ability to really predict what an audience will like. That's why The Sixth Sense can be made for $40 million and go on to gross $672,806,292 and astound people in the movie business because they never would have seen it coming. In order for them to hold onto at least some measure of predictability they have resorted to formulas that essentially say don't put your money into making a good movie, put it into big name actors, big name franchises, advertising, and special effects. Get people to see the movie first, worry about them liking it second. The same way I can't embrace a bad product riding on formulas in music, so too do I find it repulsive in movies.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
from
Gross Points: Is the blockbuster the end of cinema?
by Louis Menand
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The all-consuming desire is to get as many ticket buyers as possible into the theatre on the first weekend, and, amazingly, people oblige. The crowds at the opening of a blockbuster are a fascinating window on mass psychology. If people just wait a couple of weeks, they can have their pick of seats. But when they get back to school or to the office no one will want to hear what they thought of the picture. That was last week’s conversation. This is why the primary target for the blockbuster is people with an underdeveloped capacity for deferred gratification; that is, kids. Kids need to see things right away. Deals are therefore made with the theatre chains which give the studio a large percentage, sometimes ninety per cent, of ticket sales in the first week, with a rapidly declining percentage in subsequent weeks. The theatre gets to deduct the “house nut,” the cost of keeping the theatre running; more important, it gets to keep a hundred per cent of the income from sales of popcorn, soda, candy, video games, and anything else it can cram into the lobby. Concessions account for thirty-five per cent of the revenue in the major theatre circuits. This explains the three-dollar water.

When the studios could enforce the practice of “block booking,” which required theatres to agree to exhibit less desirable titles in order to get the big features, movies opened in a small number of theatres in major urban areas and then spread across the country. Gradually, as the studios started negotiating with competing chains, this method of platform release was abandoned. The big features now open on three thousand-plus screens, in order to maximize the benefit of their promotion. Before the word of mouth has made it around the block, the movie has already taken in, from the opening weekend, typically somewhere between twenty-five and forty per cent of its total gross. “Hulk” set a record with a seventy-per-cent decline in ticket sales between its opening and the second weekend, but the average drop-off for all movies is fifty per cent, and it is almost the definition of a blockbuster that the first weekend is a make-or-break proposition. Marketing costs for the “Matrix” sequels exceeded a hundred million dollars. The reason that those movies had such enormous grosses, despite terrible reviews and negative word of mouth, is that each opened on eighteen thousand screens simultaneously worldwide. As Shone says, about the typical blockbuster, “By the time we’ve all seen that it sucked, it’s a hit.”

:::::::::::::::::

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #63 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
I'm still not a convert. The story still sucks, but the visual FX are Très Magnifique!

I honestly think that's enough to call you a convert. I think the converts are just those that don't downright hate the movie. You don't have to fall head over heels about it, just admit it's good in its own way, heh.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gabe Logan
I fail to see how those who have not seen it can comment like that.Hell i even know a guy who loved the series but hates the movie even though he has not watched it yet

Ah, the understanding of the world of haters eludes us once again. I know a few people like this as well, and honestly cannot relate to them in any way. They say that the "special effects suck, etc." I'm trying to figure out what, for them, doesn't suck, as I've honestly never seen special effects this well made before.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #64 of 136
Geez, Superpredator, you're too worked up over this. The entire point of this is to have, but you're turning it into some form of drudgery. Am I to assume, then, that you're never going to give ANY blockbuster a chance now, because of the formula you apparently despise?

That pretty much cuts out every super hero and major sci - fi movie that's coming soon. Guess you won't be giving Dark Knight and Iron Man a chance next year either.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #66 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhristmas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, Transformers isn't a film, it's an experience.

Okay, after paying so much attention to a movie I was just hoping to ignore I think it would be dumb not to see it now. I'll go see it. In thinking about blockbusters I'm remembering that I actually enjoyed Peter Jackson's King Kong, largely for the exhilarating special effects ride. Of course, Peter Jackson is Einstein to Michael Bay's Corky, but maybe by some cosmological fluke Bay accidentally made something that isn't grounds for shooting him into the sun.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #67 of 136
Just saw transformers last night and I think that the movie was great
biggrin.gif

Oh, and just for record the most badass police car in a movie goes to the Mustang chase car.
Transformers-MustangBarricade.jpg

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #68 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by Superpredator
Peter Jackson is Einstein to Michael Bay's Corky

Haha, that was brilliant. Okay, so maybe you're not so off about blockbusters yet. Honestly, that Kong comparison comparison of yours pretty much sums it up, but, again, it's still more similar to Jurassic Park and Independence Day.

Forget about all the blockbuster controversy and just relax in your seat. Then tell us what you thought about it. Have fun!

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #69 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by XxATOLxX
Oh, and just for record the most badass police car in a movie goes to the Mustang chase car.

Yeah, I highly doubt that there have been any other movie police cars that are as wicked as Barricade. "To Punish and Enslave" indeed.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #70 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, after paying so much attention to a movie I was just hoping to ignore I think it would be dumb not to see it now.

Thank god, I was beginning to wonder why you posted so much in a thread about a movie you haven't seen.

I look forward to your sure to be scathing review!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
The "made for 15 year old boys"

very_evil_smiley.gif
Just read a mail from my little bro, "Best movie I have ever seen!"

He's sixteen though. Does that count?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
you've got to be kidding me in that first pic; you just know the designer said "hey, let's make his d*** into a gun"[

There is just something about that old Megatron isn't there? I never noticed when I was a child...

In the Wire interview, Bay also mentioned that he strived for realism in the robots - i.e. the shape shifting could be achieved in the physical world. It's easy to see why the old Megatron was scrapped. Even though there could of been a couple of great cheeky jokes put in at his expense.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #71 of 136
I liked it alot more than I expected to. There's plenty of things I would have changed, but overall, it was fun.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #72 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhristmas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I highly doubt that there have been any other movie police cars that are as wicked as Barricade. "To Punish and Enslave" indeed.

Oh man, that was so great, it's just so evil and menacing.

This movie was so awesome. I went into it expecting the plot to suck, and it wasn't all that great. But hey, I knew it wasn't going to be great, so the movie was just perfect for me!

Our theater was packed and it was great, no one talked and just watched the movie.

When bumblebee uh, *upgraded* (ppl who've seen it know what I mean), the entire theater clapped and cheered.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #73 of 136
I'm glad I only paid matinee price... the movie was ok but there was a pretty big cheeeeeze factor IMO. When the transformers started talking it was pretty lame. There were some good action scenes, the best being the short air battle towards the end with Starscream and the F22's. All in all it was rather disappointing after looking so good in the previews

My advice is go see Die Hard if you are looking for a great popcorn action flick this summer. I found that far more enjoyable.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #74 of 136
That dog fight should have been a little longer. It was definitely one of the best scenes.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #75 of 136
Best Movie Ever.

to those who cringe when they hear that Michael Bay made it, trust me, dont. He did an excellent job and I couldnt be happier with the movie. I saw it last night and I swear, theres so much action that you never have time to catch your breath.

And giant transforming robots is cool as hell, and the CG in this movie made it look SO MUCH cooler.

I want to see it again but it will cost another 10 bucks.

Might be worth it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back