Transformers movie thread
Jul 4, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #31 of 136
The best comic/cartoon based movie adaptation I've seen this year. It is a great movie, excellent CGI ('cept actions too fast) nice cheesy story (Transformer IS cheesy in the first place). The updates to the bot's look is appropriate, I can't imagine megatron looking blocky and cartoonish here. Starscream's F-22 fighter jet scene is a total winner.

BUT. How megatron die was lame, LAME!!!!! I was like WT#%$^$&???? like THIS?!

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #32 of 136
I worshiped the Transformers as a kid. I just watched the trailer and it doesn't really remind me of them at all. It's unfortunate that just we stumble onto the technological capability to bring imaginative ideas of the past to the big screen we also happen to enter into a period of wonderfully generic blockbuster film making. Oh, to have a good Transformers movie. I'm not sure why humanity lets Michael Bay do anything.

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #33 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that Optimus is all muscle
icon10.gif

Actually the original Optimus was recently spotted in England sans special effects.
717937252_ab3a6c3652_o.jpg

--

I enjoyed the heck out the movie and can't add anything to the fine posts above.

Michael Bay haters (which I am one) and Transformers purists won't be disappointed. There's plenty to complain about as expected.

But for those like me, who willingly surrender to the nostalgia, it's a great time. I won't spoil it, but a couple of the action sequences are absolutely breathtaking...

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #34 of 136
saw the film. was pretty good 2.75 or 3/4 stars. amazing cgi, decent story, very good acting by shia lebouf, very good looking body by megan fox, some nice humor as well. overall, very enjoyable. and because it is so cgi heavy, really a must see on the big screen.

clearly worth 10 bucks or so.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #35 of 136
Just got back from seeing it at the Boston Common (DLP). I went in blind so I did not know much about the Transformers besides Megatron and Optimus Prime being the big guys.

Anyway, the theater was packed 20 minutes before showtime. I thought the movie was awesome, easily the best this summer IMO.
The CGI battle scenes were well done. I was kind of sad when I saw the nightime sky shots. I assume the noise in the sky was due to film being used? The battle scenes were cropped way too much. Made me appreciate the cinematography in Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down. Still, the distant shots of the missiles being fired were incredible. The sound was very good as well. The theater definitely added to my excitement.
The acting was pretty good. Good story and pretty good characters.

There were a lot of laughs as well. Very entertaining. One other gripe was that at times it looked like a GM commercial. Was the Transformers written by an American?

This was one of the very few films I have seen in the last 6 years that everyone in the theater cheered and clapped at the end. (The other being the remake of Dawn of the Dead, which had scenes during the credits as well).

Definitely a must see. Much more than I had ever expected.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #36 of 136
It was alright. The special effects were great, parts were very funny, and it was good for what it was. Megatron was very cool (the part with Jazz??? was it?- was my favorite scene of the movie), Shia LaBeouf was funny, and I never got sick of looking at Megan Fox
biggrin.gif

There was a lot to criticize as well, however. The fight scenes were very hard to follow- too close up, there were too many sappy scenes amidst life and death action, and Optimus Prime narrated way too much. As with most action movies, I was often baffled by some of the characters actions, but I guess that comes with the action movie territory. In hindisight, I kind of get the feeling they should have either copied the original cartoons verbatim, or scrapped all direct links (voices etc).

Regardless of the criticisms, it was worth seeing and was good for what it was. The "made for 15 year old boys" comment seems pretty accurate to me, although I did see 2 guys in their late 20's high fiveing a "great movie" as I left the theatre.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #37 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhristmas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually really like it. Personally, I'd recommend that people see this in the theaters because that's what it's made for. There are basically two sides to this movie: the human side, and the Transformers side.

Whenever the movie switches to the Transformers side, it pulls you in. Nonstop action built on perfectly rendered special effects that simply raises the bar for other sci - fi films.

Unfortunately, the human side is done completely wrong. The primary reason is that it's played for comedy. Virometal mentioned that Bay admitted that the movie is aimed at teenagers, so don't look for any brilliant screen writing (or even acting) here. And even if the script was totally flawless, Bay would have found some way to screw it up anyway.

What Bay does do well is the action, which you have to see to believe. Some people comment that the action is too fast and that it is almost impossible to tell what exactly is going on. I've seen the movie twice and this notion never came to mind. I'll bet these same people will complain just as much if the action was slowed down.

Several reviewers have said that Transformers is not a film, it's an experience. It never tries to be smart, all of the jokes in it fall flat several times, and the (human) acting is horrendous most of the time. The action delivers, though, and ties together an overall fun package that most will definitely enjoy. I highly recommend it.

Exactly what I suspected it would be. Based on what I have read so far in this thread and based on all of the trailers I have seen, it is worth nothing more to me than a rental; and I will likely fast forward through the movie and just watch the action scenes.

If I could go to the theater, and pay half price just to watch the 20 minutes of action/cgi, I would do it. But since that isn't likely to happen, it's a (*cough* newsgroup) 'rental' for me.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #38 of 136
I'm going to be brutally honest here. This movie was absolutely horrendous. Instantly catapulted in to my top ten worst of all time. Really, no melodrama or sensationalism, it was that bad.

Just got back from seeing the film and don't even know where to start. I was so amped to see this, having grown up with the GoBots and Transformers, and it failed in more ways than I ever could have imagined. Bar none the worst script I have ever experienced. It hurt to listen to. If I had a butter knife on me I would have tried slitting my wrists. An hour in to the film I wanted to get up and leave, something I have never, ever done before(dead serious here people). I'm a HUGE movie guy and I was stunned in disbelief to find that this was the first to inspire me to want to do so. Unfortunately I was with a group of friends and had to endure it to the end.

Back to the script. I absolutely cannot stop talking about it with my brother and friends. I had to break away and vent here because they can't take it anymore. What a classless, trite, predictable, insulting to call humor piece of trash. Why the humor angle in the first place? I felt dirty after watching this movie. Jokes about masturbation and lubrication, transformers pissing on someone, in a film that you know little kids are going to be seeing? A transformer that talks "with soul" and calles people bitches? What is going on here?? What am I watching exactly? Why are the people around us laughing? Scary.

John Turturro's worst role ever. What was he thinking?

Everything just felt so fake. No emotions at all. Just manufactured commercial cookie cutter crap. Corporate plugs everywhere. More of a marketing and business venture than a true representation of what The Transformers should have been. It was ruined by this...oh and the script.

I will never see anything again that Michael Bay gets anywhere near.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #39 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got back from seeing it at the Boston Common (DLP). I went in blind so I did not know much about the Transformers besides Megatron and Optimus Prime being the big guys.

Anyway, the theater was packed 20 minutes before showtime. I thought the movie was awesome, easily the best this summer IMO.
The CGI battle scenes were well done. I was kind of sad when I saw the nightime sky shots. I assume the noise in the sky was due to film being used?

Yeah, I saw it in DLP as well. What was up with some of those really noisy scenes? It's like it was shot with a cheap HDV cam or something. I've seen footage with a $1000 HDV cam with less noise than that.

Was the film version in theaters better? I remember it being the opposite for Attack of the Clones. DLP looked pristine, film lookes noisy, washed out.

-Ed

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #40 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to be brutally honest here. This movie was absolutely horrendous. Instantly catapulted in to my top ten worst of all time. Really, no melodrama or sensationalism, it was that bad.

Just got back from seeing the film and don't even know where to start. I was so amped to see this, having grown up with the GoBots and Transformers, and it failed in more ways than I ever could have imagined. Bar none the worst script I have ever experienced. It hurt to listen to. If I had a butter knife on me I would have tried slitting my wrists. An hour in to the film I wanted to get up and leave, something I have never, ever done before(dead serious here people). I'm a HUGE movie guy and I was stunned in disbelief to find that this was the first to inspire me to want to do so. Unfortunately I was with a group of friends and had to endure it to the end.

Back to the script. I absolutely cannot stop talking about it with my brother and friends. I had to break away and vent here because they can't take it anymore. What a classless, trite, predictable, insulting to call humor piece of trash. Why the humor angle in the first place? I felt dirty after watching this movie. Jokes about masturbation and lubrication, transformers pissing on someone, in a film that you know little kids are going to be seeing? A transformer that talks "with soul" and calles people bitches? What is going on here?? What am I watching exactly? Why are the people around us laughing? Scary.

Everything just felt so fake. No emotions at all. Just manufactured commercial cookie cutter crap. Corporate plugs everywhere. More of a marketing and business venture than a true representation of what The Transformers should have been. It was ruined by this...oh and the script.

Have you ever seen a Michael Bay movie before?

Like I said long before, I had low low expectations as soon as I heard Michael Bay was on board. Not a big fan of the design of the Transformers in this movie. I don't think the Gen 1 design would work on the big screen as well either, wish it was something more in between.

I too grew up on Transformers, but as for my childhood being bastardized by the film, it was bastardized a long time ago when I worked on Beast Wars and Beast Machines toys. Ugh.

-Ed

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #41 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by lmilhan
Exactly what I suspected it would be. Based on what I have read so far in this thread and based on all of the trailers I have seen, it is worth nothing more to me than a rental; and I will likely fast forward through the movie and just watch the action scenes.

If I could go to the theater, and pay half price just to watch the 20 minutes of action/cgi, I would do it. But since that isn't likely to happen, it's a (*cough* newsgroup) 'rental' for me.

The movie is two and a half hours. Exactly half of that time is devoted to the human side and the other to the Transformers. The final battle alone is 40 minutes in length, and is completely non - stop action. The movie ticket price alone is, for me, entirely worth it, because you'll miss out entirely on the experience if you see this on the small screen. And more than an hour of Transformers time is much more than the 20 mins. you seem to be expecting.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #42 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
I too grew up on Transformers, but as for my childhood being bastardized by the film, it was bastardized a long time ago when I worked on Beast Wars and Beast Machines toys. Ugh.

Hah! I hear that.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #43 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Without having seen the movie I put every last ounce of faith I'm capable of in your take on what I imagine would be one of the most disappointing movies--nay, experiences--of my life.

The only movie I've ever walked out on was Coyote Ugly, and I would watch that eleven times before having to see the genuineness of The Transformers obliterated by talentless wastes of existence and movie goers who demand modernization and sameness.

This is a dark day for the universe. I'm totally serious.

I do have to ask though... didn't Jazz talk "with soul" or am I making that up? Man, just looking Jazz up on Wikipedia brought back so many glowing Transformer memories. I can't expose that sacred piece of my childhood to the horrors of the modern world.

Rot in hell, Michael Bay! You too, Spielberg.

Edit: yes people, I miss the days when toy companies produced awesome cartoons to sell merchandise to kids.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #44 of 136
Quote:

Originally posted by Superpredator
Without having seen the movie I put every last ounce of faith I'm capable of in your take on what I imagine would be one of the most disappointing movies--nay, experiences--of my life.

You really shouldn't judge a movie before seeing it. Many hardcore G1 fans felt the same as you did and most of them were converted by the movie's genuine awesomeness. It takes a certain amount of premeditated hate to truly despise this movie. It wasn't made for intelligent film analyses, but to convert two hours of your time into pure fun, and it certainly delivers in this respect.

Here are a few sample reviews from some of these converts: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33186

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #45 of 136
So classic! Reminiscing about old childhood shows and how they captured your imagination, only to see a movie and realize you're an adult now.

The great thing about this Michael Bay film was that the filler was much easier to disregard and shove aside compared to his other movies. The action scenes blew me away, and I can't wait until it comes out on DVD. I'd probably piss my pants with excitement if I saw this as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back