Transformers for Balanced to SE conversion.
Nov 1, 2009 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

InSides

100+ Head-Fier
So, the addition of two monoblock amplifiers has me left with a lack of space to fit my two racks side by side.

Sadly, the only possible alternate location for the "digital" rack requires approximately 25 feet of cabling between the DAC output stage and the preamplifier. Now, the DAC output stage has balanced outputs, whilst the preamplifier only has unbalanced inputs.

With the notion that balanced cable runs can be longer than SE without picking up hum/noise along the way, I was thinking that I can move the rack, implement 25 feet of length of balanced cabling, and then perform the Balanced/SE conversion near the preamplifier.

To do so, I could either go with an active solution [opamp?] or passive [transformers]. I would prefer the latter, and was looking for suggestions for a suitable pair of transformers I could mount into a small box with a pair of XLR and a pair of RCA connectors. Put this close to the preamp and problem solved.

So, any suggestions for a nice pair of transformers? Cinemag is an option, but am not sure which ones to pick. Lundahl is another, but I am a bit hesitant to leave the "affordable" category.

However, I understand performance is paramount at this link in the chain, so I would be up for anything reasonable.

Much appreciated.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 35
Nov 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 35
Nov 1, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by InSides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, any suggestions for a nice pair of transformers? Cinemag is an option, but am not sure which ones to pick. Lundahl is another, but I am a bit hesitant to leave the "affordable" category.

CineMag CMLI-15/15B.

What's the input impedance of your preamp?

se

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DRV134 for chip

DRV134 is a differential line driver (i.e., does unbalanced-to-balanced conversion), which is the opposite of what's needed here. The correct counterpart is INA134, a differential line receiver.

However, I think the THAT1206 is a better device.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CineMag CMLI-15/15B.

What's the input impedance of your preamp?

se

24kOhms. I had looked into the Cinemag, but the typical application notes schematics show the transformer in combination with active parts.

Is that necessary? If I go transformers, the idea was to keep it passive and off the grid. Also, Cinemags are a bit difficult to source since I am in Europe.

I had thought that the Lundahls are quite a bit more expensive, but I see that the price for the Lundahl LL1527 is quite good, and I can get it locally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DRV134 is a differential line driver (i.e., does unbalanced-to-balanced conversion), which is the opposite of what's needed here. The correct counterpart is INA134, a differential line receiver.

However, I think the THAT1206 is a better device.

Thanks, Ti. I will look into the THAT.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was thinking of unbalanced to balanced conversion, sorry
triportsad.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impedance is too low. The 1690's are more appropriate.

Apologies, I must have missed your original post.

Looks like the Jensen's are a very viable option, and at a good price. Now to see whether they would be willing to ship to Europe.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

24kOhms. I had looked into the Cinemag, but the typical application notes schematics show the transformer in combination with active parts.

Is that necessary?

Well, you're going to be using it in combination with active parts too, won't you? I mean, your preamp's not passive is it?

Quote:

Also, Cinemags are a bit difficult to source since I am in Europe.

Not hard to source. Just order direct from CineMag.

Quote:

I had thought that the Lundahls are quite a bit more expensive, but I see that the price for the Lundahl LL1527 is quite good, and I can get it locally.

As Doug mentiond, the 1527 isn't well suited for your particular application and recommended the 1690 instead.

se

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Looks like the Jensen's are a very viable option, and at a good price. Now to see whether they would be willing to ship to Europe.

CineMags are just as good and cost less. And yes, they'll ship to Europe.

se

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 35
Just as a side note...

The owner of CineMag is Tom Reichenbach. Tom's father, the late Ed Reichenbach, used to work for Altec designing transformers. He later started his own company, Reichenbach Engineering.

It was Ed Reichenbach who designed and manufactured the transformers sold by Deane Jensen under the Jensen Transformers name, until Jensen began manufacturing them in-house (which I believe happened when Ed retired).

Tom/CineMag owns all of Ed's engineering work, which includes the original designs Reichenbach Engineering did for Jensen.

reichenbach.jpg

se

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also look at the Sowter 3575

Yeah.

Though Sowters aren't a transformer you actually want to "look" at if you know what I mean.
atsmile.gif

stylede.jpg

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back